Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from a background of LR Discovery's & older Land Rovers, Has anyone here used their Tiggy off road?
If so, how was it?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I doubt it will compared to a proper off-roader like Land Rovers. But there are plenty of videos showing it off road, but let's be honest it's not a proper off-roader, but I'm sure the 4Motion will help you out in trickier conditions and light off road use.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have a 190 TDI SEL with outdoor pack. As I have said before I found it great this autumn when I had to cross wet, muddy and deeply rutted fields which a farmer had churned up with heavy machinery. I sailed through without a problem (touched bottom a few times so glad I had the extra protection of outdoor pack) whereas other 4X4s had to be pulled out. OK I am sure a Discovery would have coped even better but mine beat BMWs, Toyota and Subaru 4X4s.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Babysnakes
This subject has been discussed before so it might be worth your while searching previous threads and other comments.
Since owning the mk2 the off road conditions really have not been that bad. Off road conditions - that is towing a caravan onto a field or grassed area.
I doubt anyone will be doing any serious off roading with the diamond cut alloys, hate to think of the damage you could do to them.
Anyway like salmomfisher I have experienced very poor conditions,but this was when using my mk1 Tiguan. It achieved things that many other 4x4s didn't, Ie. get off a very very muddy field with a caravan on the back. Admittedly the last time it did take a number of well built Yorkshire lads pushing the van but everything else was being pulled out by tractor. This included freelanders, touaregs and discoverys.
The problem which I am sure you will be familiar with, is its not the car but the driver. (I don't mean to suggest I am an off road expert). Unfortunately my experience of many 4x4 drivers when towing is that they think they can just put their foot down and go. Only realising they cant do this when they have dug the car in upto its axles.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yes i should have used the search option.. sorry. I'm not expecting Discovery capabilities, just being able to get out of a wet Festival on occasion. Wet grass seems to be worse than muddy ruts for a lot of cars.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Babysnakes
No need to apologise, just thought you might get a few other views.
I am sure that the Tiguan would be more than competent for your needs, based on my experience of the mk1 and towing with the mk2 since September 2016.
Cheers
Roy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts