Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to buy a new car and decided on a mk2 Tiguan only do 5000 miles a year would buy petrol but must have DSG wife wont drive
anything else now she has a golf with DSG and I understand you cant get petrol with DSG shame .My one big concern is the time it will take to warm up in winter our gold 2.0 diesel mk6 GT DSG takes absolutely ages in the winter whats the new Tiguan like ? any feed back greatly appreciated

Like some other reports I found the throttle response a bit strange especially compared to the golf but I guess you get used to it does the pde pedal box really work and what about warranty can VW detect one has been fitted be nice to know

Looking forward to being a tiguan owner

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi Jimbo, I take it youmean by warming up as in the cabin area of the car, I found that after 4/5 mins of easy driving the cab was starting to get warm in my opinion it was quicker than my old diesel SAAB :D

·
Registered
90 Posts
you can get petrol with dsg

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you look at the configurator there is a petrol option with DSG on the SEL & R Line Tiguan. Seems VW has got piles of Diesels they want to get shot of.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies yes I can see now the sel is available in petrol with dsg trouble is its a bit beyond my budget also we do a lot of local runs and the 180 petrol doesn't seem great on fuel consumption round town have to think about that what does the 180 petrol really do round town?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I haven't done any real long runs but local driving gives 22 - 26 mpg. Hopefully that will better as the mileage goes on. Only done 900.

·
Registered
446 Posts
jimbo1952 said:
I have decided to buy a new car and decided on a mk2 Tiguan only do 5000 miles a year would buy petrol but must have DSG wife wont drive
anything else now she has a golf with DSG and I understand you cant get petrol with DSG shame .My one big concern is the time it will take to warm up in winter our gold 2.0 diesel mk6 GT DSG takes absolutely ages in the winter whats the new Tiguan like ? any feed back greatly appreciated

Like some other reports I found the throttle response a bit strange especially compared to the golf but I guess you get used to it does the pde pedal box really work and what about warranty can VW detect one has been fitted be nice to know

The DTE PedalBox works really well to overcome the odd response curve of the throttle (on 2WD cars anyway; 4Motion models have some driver modes which may be better). It would be indetectable (apart from visually checking near the pedal) since it is not altering an engine map or making more power, it is simply altering the throttle signal relative to the pedal position.

·
Registered
261 Posts
c_w said:
jimbo1952 said:

The DTE PedalBox works really well to overcome the odd response curve of the throttle (on 2WD cars anyway; 4Motion models have some driver modes which may be better). It would be indetectable (apart from visually checking near the pedal) since it is not altering an engine map or making more power, it is simply altering the throttle signal relative to the pedal position.
Do you declare these on your insurance?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't feel the need to for this, it's the same as stomping your foot on your pedal or pressing the pedal faster. Or if you merely shortened the throttle pedal lever so it had a smaller arc. It's not altering the engine power. I believe some people with ankle issues/disabilities limited movement have used them to reduce the pedal movement required to drive the car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Diesel is not suitable for 5k mikes per year, for several technical reasons and then there is the now almost rabid "green wash" to consider.

Pedal feel - my diesel 4x4 (15k yrly) has this "issue". You can either get used to it, as I have found very easy to do, or drive in sport mode, which remaps the pedal and gives a very different feel. I tend to use this if I want to hustle on a little...
I wouldn't be able to fit a pedal box to a leased car, but personally would also not want to argue this point with either VW warantee engineers or my insurance co.

Temperature of cabin - slow warm up is an intrinsic feature of relatively highly efficient diesel cycle engines, so spec heated seats, and perhaps a steering wheel too?

Auto petrol- is there not now an ability to choose 2.0 petrol with all trim levels then? I can understand why they might not offer a 1.4 petrol auto!
This was one reason why I decided gainst Kadjar/Quashcai and Ateca...to get 4x4 diesel auto I had to pay for a higher trim level with all sorts of spangly nonsense extras that I neither wanted nor needed.
I won't detail these specific extras as there are some overly sensitive types on here who are very easily offeneded 😋
Each to their own?

·
Registered
446 Posts
I don't think there is a technical reason a diesel isn't suitable for 5k/annum, apart from the assumption that the journeys must be short, but you could use the car once a week for a long journery for example. There is a financial one though and that is if the car costs more in the first place (but not sure there is a price difference actually), and to service etc.

I'm sure on VCDS/VAGCOM there may be a hidden menu that could be activitated so the throttle pedal can be adjusted on 2WD cars, but for now the pedalbox is a much easier solution for those without 4Motion.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you really want the smaller Petrol engine and DSG then look at the Seat Alteca or maybe the new Skoda Karoq but I've not seen details on the petrol lineup other than the new 1.5TSI is likely an option.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I wasn't after a petrol, but when I was looking at the Ateca I think there was a 1.4 DSG option. Bit bizarre VW don't offer this in the Tiguan. The Tiguan looks much better than the Ateca though and glad I went with the VW.

·
Registered
238 Posts
c_w said:
I don't think there is a technical reason a diesel isn't suitable for 5k/annum, apart from the assumption that the journeys must be short, but you could use the car once a week for a long journery for example. There is a financial one though and that is if the car costs more in the first place (but not sure there is a price difference actually), and to service etc.
Have you not googled... low mileage for diesel engines...or similar? Thers a very great deal of advice out there for you
Tech. Faffing about with Adblue
Financial Eg.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/energy/fuel/9219452/Low-mileage-diesel-drivers-may-be-wasting-their-money.html
I know this is 2012 advice but this rather jumped out at me!

"We know the vast majority of private diesel owners in the UK drive less than 10,000 miles a year."

·
Registered
422 Posts
Diesel generally always takes longer to warm up than a petrol....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts