Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, on the verge of ordering a new tig. Information I've gleaned from this forum has been great, so thanks!

Just wanted to gauge some opinions on what options to go with. Definitely going to be an SEL tdi 150 in Indium Grey. Was basically set on 2wd manual until I read this forum and now considering the 4motion dsg. Have never driven a VW automatic before so wondered how they actually drove? Online reviews seem mixed with some saying it's a little sluggish at times. The obvious answer would be to go out and test drive one but you wouldn't believe the problems I'm having tracking down a demo car with the right spec. Would mean about £25 p/m more as well as reduced mpg so will have to decide if it's worthwhile.

Other options I've been considering are auto-boot, tyre pressure indicators and heated steering wheel. All non-essential but would be nice touches. Any throughts positive or negative on them so far?

Thanks

·
Registered
257 Posts
The VW DSG gearbox has been around for a good few years now. The first time I had the pleasure of driving a car with one was fours years ago in a Golf GTD and I was grinning from ear to ear.
Currently have a automatic A5 which has a multitronic gearbox and it's not a patch on the DSG.

Definitely go drive A Tiggie with a DSG gearbox. The DSG makes driving very easy. All the other extras as you say are non essential as you said but I have tried the auto boot and it is good.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Easton777

Tried an earlier post but it was a no show but in short

Go Auto - you won't regret it; its really unusually good

Cheers

Earl

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hi Easton,

The DSG is superb, I have a 150 DSG SEL and I must say its a lovely drive. Yes, the auto and power can take a split second or two to kick in but once it does, its great. If you are coming from a Golf GTI or R, then you will notice the difference but you will love the Tig.

My advice, get:
4 Motion
Auto-boot
Key-less (key-less start and electric tailgate if you can stretch)
Tyre pressure indicators
Park assist with camera

Nice to have but not essential
Heated steering wheel
Winter pack - heated seats are nice though
HUD
Dynaudio Excite (great if you're a music connoisseur)
Voice Activation

I've probably made your choice worse :)

·
Registered
182 Posts
Apart from the dsg and 4 motion the electric tailgate and rear camera get used all the time so I've had my monies worth already . In the dark the camera is brilliant. ...

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Hi Easton777........ Ditto above Tig16 comments.... One thing.... the mk2 Tiguan DSG is a new 'wet' clutch, not a dry one as on the old Tigs. Reliability will be better ;) :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lt13624 said:
My advice, get:
4 Motion
Auto-boot
Key-less (key-less start and electric tailgate if you can stretch)
Tyre pressure indicators
Park assist with camera
Been playing around with the online configutator, what's the difference between the "Electric tailgate" at £355 and "full electric tailgate option" that's part of the keyless option at £660?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Hi Easton 777, the electric tailgate option will allow the tailgate to be opened and closed by either a button on the keyfob, a button in the drivers door or a button in the boot lid. There is also a button on the boot 'lip' for closing.
If you also have full keyless access and 'easy close', you will also have the 'easy open' option which allows you to pass your foot under the back bumper where a sensor will open the boot automatically (hopefully).
You will also have a second button in the tailgate lip which, when pressed will activate the 'easy close' option and 'beep' every few seconds, and is useful if you have your hands full with shopping bags etc, as it will automatically close and lock the boot lid as you walk away from the car assuming you have previously locked the vehicle before opening the boot. I find this feature very useful indeed.

Steve

·
Registered
169 Posts
Heated steering wheel is good and I specced it as my shift finishes at midnight so especially in the winter it is lovely .
It is combined in the same switch as the heated seats but you can have them on separately .
HUD is ok but wouldn't miss it as is the tyre pressure monitoring , you don't really need it .

·
Registered
610 Posts
Must have's DSG must with 4motion, rear assist with camera

50/50 on the boot as you could end up with a good one or a pain in the ass one?

Not bothered with heated wheel use blowers, tyre pressure indicators, there is a tyre system in built which is all you would need which works very well I'm informed by VW service engineers?

good luck and enjoy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
FTT said:
50/50 on the boot as you could end up with a good one or a pain in the ass one?

There is a tyre system in built which is all you would need which works very well I'm informed by VW service engineers?

good luck and enjoy
I thought it was the auto (sensor) boot that was iffy, has there been problems with the basic electric one?

So is there a tyre system in place? What's the difference with the optional pressure sensors?

Feedback has been great, thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
The one that's included for free is based on measuring the 'levelness' of the car if that makes sense - it's on my gti and has worked brilliantly twice in the last 3 years

The one you pay for uses sensors

·
Registered
257 Posts
The standard system will flag up a low tyre pressure on the dash. Not sure if it can tell which wheel.

The £130 optional extra should be able to tell you the pressures in each wheel.

·
Registered
610 Posts
As Dr miles says the tyre system works on a leveling system, and it appears he rates it as did the vw guy, I believe the other system will involve the wheel cap system not sure how it works but I think its more sensitive and will give a bar/psi read out per tyre me thinks on the dashboard?
Yes I'm only refering to the foot boot release system which some guys on here have had problems and in a few of the reviews those testing had similar problems, hence i didn't go for it. :D

·
Registered
463 Posts
The way I understand it is its the ABS that detects a puncture when the affected wheel is reduced in dia.

My car flagged a low pressure in the O/S/R tyre a couple of days after collection. I put it down to a sudden drop in ambient temp overnight that affected the lowest pressured tyre.

Found this,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire-pressure_monitoring_system

·
Registered
257 Posts
Standard systems works off the ABS sensor and the £130 optional works off a sensor in each wheel I believe.

Beagler, some garages fill tyres with OFN now as it changes pressure less than air with temperature change.

·
Registered
182 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the basic electric tailgate operation ...it is quite flexible with a lever by drivers door, key fob button or button under the hatch.. I didn't want keyless entry.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Ed1 said:
Standard systems works off the ABS sensor and the £130 optional works off a sensor in each wheel I believe.

Beagler, some garages fill tyres with OFN now as it changes pressure less than air with temperature change.
Mine has the sensors.

I have a Tyrepal system for my caravan and a previous Tig that have sensors that replace the valve cap. They transmit temp and pressure to a display stuck on the windscreen and alarm if pressure drops or temp rises beyond parameters that I can set. Only need the two sensors for the caravan now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Folks,

New guy on the block, happy Tiguan owner - 1.4 TSI :)

Wondering about the Tig's fuel tank capacity: Datasheets saying 58l, however my first refuels at the stations were about 60l while the car range was not even 0km. Therefore assuming it's more than the given value, but do you know the exact size with spare included? Would like to use the car range as efficient as possible. Thanks for the hint, Tamas

1 - 20 of 25 Posts