Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I placed a factory order at the end of Jan for a facelift R-line with two optional extras, originally being quoted a 12-14 week lead time by the dealer.

The order was confirmed and viewable using the VW online tracker but has remained at stage 2. Following discussions with the dealer a few weeks ago they stated the order was a little delayed but nothing to significant.

However further contact with them yesterday has confirmed the order does not have a confirmed build week and the earliest I could be looking at delivery will be mid July.

Is anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yep. I ordered towards the end of Feb, and after nearly 7 weeks my order is also stuck at stage 2 "The factory has your order". I was also quoted approx 12-14 weeks at order time, but my "unconfirmed" build date according to my dealer is week 25 (w/c 21st June), which would most likely mean a delivery to me of end of July / early August. Certainly not what I was promised. And that's not even confirmed - it could move back still !

I've spoken to VW customers services over what the delay is and they were about as useful as a chocolate fire guard and just asked me to speak to my local dealer. I can only think it's one or more of the options I've spec'd (as I had quite a few) that's delaying the car. I'm seriously considering cancelling the car and ending my 22 year relationship with VW and moving brands. I've checked with 2 friends who recently ordered a factory spec'd BMW's (3 series) and a Merc GLC (again both heavily spec'd). One ordered 2nd week Jan and picked his Merc up 2 weeks ago, my other friend ordered the BMW 2 weeks before mine (at the beginning of Feb), and is picking his car up next Wednesday. So it seems other German manufacturers can do it, just the usual VW ineptitude prevails.

I have a decision to make.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is rather frustrating when no one can provide a reason for this, looking at other VW forums it appears it's across the VW range and not just the Tiguan.
I have considered cancelling but in the long term would probably regret it, there seems to be a shortage of alternative R-Lines available with a similar spec.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like you've been had off, I ordered middle of February and managed to get build week 12 (March 22nd build date) must be becuase of the additions you've added to the car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
There is a car computer chip shortage so this could well be having an impact on orders.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having spoken with my dealer again this morning they have confirmed there is a shortage of certain component parts on all R-Line models throughout the VW range.

I have an unconfirmed build week of 19 (10th May) with the dealer quoting 10 weeks from this date for delivery at the earliest.

·
Registered
223 Posts
thing that really pisses me off is no one from VW (either VW UK customer services or the dealer) are willing to tell the truth. When I ordered the car, I had it in writing at 12-14 weeks delivery to the UK. Now they have simply reneiged on that and are not willing to tell me what is going on.

If they said, look, there is a global chip shortage and one of your options needs this part and that is what's delaying the build then fine - I have the choice to either wait or change the spec, but no total silence and they just think it's perfectly normal and acceptable to delay delivering an order without out any reason or accountability. I also work in the supply industry and if I treated my customer that way and totally ignored any previously agreed delivery dates without a good and explained reason, I'd go out of business as all my customers would go elsewhere. VW UK really are a sorry shamble of idiots.

I have a call this afternoon with the dealer principle of my local VW dealership and the outcome of that call will decide if I cancel the order and move away from the brand permanently.

·
Registered
223 Posts
CL1983 said:
Having spoken with my dealer again this morning they have confirmed there is a shortage of certain component parts on all R-Line models throughout the VW range.

I have an unconfirmed build week of 19 (10th May) with the dealer quoting 10 weeks from this date for delivery at the earliest.
Not doubting what they have told you of course, but the models affected worse are R-Line models ? Really when the Elegance is the one with the most tech as standard (IQ Lights, Panoramic Sunroof, Keyless entry, electric boot etc.) So if it is computer chips that's the delay you would think it would affect that model more than the R-Line, (which is basically a Tiguan Life with a beefed up bodykit and wheels) ?

·
Registered
R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG
2,017 Posts
Sootchucker said:
CL1983 said:

Not doubting what they have told you of course, but the models affected worse are R-Line models ? Really when the Elegance is the one with the most tech as standard (IQ Lights, Panoramic Sunroof, Keyless entry, electric boot etc.) So if it is computer chips that's the delay you would think it would affect that model more than the R-Line, (which is basically a Tiguan Life with a beefed up bodykit and wheels) ?
Sports suspension?
Alloys?
Seats?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well just had my call - not sure I believe everything I was told but anyway, according to the dealer principle, UK allocations of Tiguan R-Lines and Elegance models have run out and no more new orders will be processed until Week 25/26 at the earliest (no mention of a lack of parts or semiconductors, just allocation). He went onto say, that if someone cancelled their existing order, then that allocation would be taken by someone on the "waiting list" on a first ordered basis, although he did admit that VW UK had over 160 Tiguan's on this list already.

He then said the 10 weeks delivery as quoted above was a separate issue and not related to allocation but due to both Covid-19 social distancing (and the continued outbreak on the continent) as well as delays due to UK customs. He said that the Emden port currently had a backlog of nearly 200,000 cars to move. Whilst he didn't think the 10 weeks would last forever and would revert back to the more standard 3-4 weeks, he couldn't guarantee it. Long and short of it, he could give me any assurances that I would see the car in the UK before September (so over 6 months delivery). I've therefore taken the very personal decision to cancel the order. It's a real shame as I was looking forwards to driving my 1st SUV, and it being a VW, but such is life. Over my last 10 VW orders, the average delivery time has been 19 weeks with a best of 13 weeks and a worst of 43 weeks. That is just not acceptable to me (maybe it is to others).

So thanks for the last few months all of those that helped me with questions etc. and I hope you all have trouble free motoring and all get your new cars sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A real shame there is such a delay as it's a lovely car to drive. Ordered a Tiguan Match sometime back only to be told they weren't producing any and so my order would be cancelled. Ordered a Tiguan R Line late November and picked it up on 2nd March.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wondering about this regarding my own order. Was told by dealer that car would be delivered in February. No sign of it by March so talking with the salesman at the time he said that the car was in Germany and there was 3 shipments a month to Ireland and it would 'bound to be be on one of them'. April now and still no sign, latest from the sales guy is that he can't understand why it didn't make on to one of the boats in March? Basically left it at I'll let you know when it lands in Ireland and 7 days from then to delivery for me. Is there 200k cars ahead of mine and that's the delay so? The salesman showed me the order details for my car showing the production date and shipment from Mexico and it's sitting in Germany since the 3rd of March. Wondering if I should ask the dealer if there is something available in stock if I'll be waiting forever for the back log to clear. Black pack and tow bar are the only options I'd taken on a R-line. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I awaiting delivery also in Ireland, ordered in early December and was given build week 12, that has since moved out to Build week 17 so hoping for July registration. I was of the opinion semi conductor issue but I don't know at this stage. I ordered Reflex Silver 2.0 tdi Tiguan, black pack, iq lights, hitch, luggage pack, keyless entry, camera, discover pro, wireless conectivity. I was of belief only Tiguan Allspace was being manufactured in Mexico for Irish market.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interested to see if anyone has an update on their order abd confirmed build week.
Mine had an unconfirmed build week of 19, then 20 when I spoke with the dealer last week.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We ordered a 1.5 Rline at the start of March with quite a few add ons.. on deposit payment we were quoted 10-12 weeks and expected collection on 6th June.

I felt I got a great deal and the current Tig had a few niggles, needed tyres servicing and cam belt so the time was right. I was also offered a good price by we buy anyway so took the stupid decision to sell early to de risk and bank a couple of months payments towards the deposit as we could cope with 1 car for a while..dealer knew I was selling early as originally he was going to take as px early.

Obviously I've been following this thread and others for a while now and the dates from my dealers keep moving out every week but he claimed to know nothing of any delays and still claimed early July until yesterday when I forced the issue as far as I could without shouting too loud!! Finally he researched it and admitted it's now more like September but even that's not confirmed... amazingly claiming he had now to contact each of his 30 customers to tell them the same news. So either VW are hiding this from sales staff or the salesmen are more than aware but still selling cars with dates they know simply cart be met.

Of course my fault entirely but I'm now in the position of being a car down for at least another 5 months which was not my plan and with us both starting to go back to the office in July it just won't work.

I really don't want to cancel the order and I may we'll find the same issue with other makes as well but not sure what choice I have now.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I feel your pain

·
Registered
743 Posts
The semiconductor delays are pushing everything out.

The investor side of things VW were saying this was going to be most acute in the first half of the year but that they would catchup in the second.

Bear in mind they were already scrambling late last year to try catchup on all the production that got suspended during the original covid lockdowns 12months ago.

If it's any consolation all the OEMs are prioritising the highest margin cars (ie premium brands Audi's or SUVs). Be glad you haven't ordered a base model hatchback.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My order has finally changed to stage 3 (build week confirmed) on checking the online tracker this morning. Ordered end of January.

Spoke to online chat who confirmed build week 20 (17th May) and dealer states it's taking at least 10 weeks from then to delivery.

So that's going to be 6 months at least from ordering, worth bearing in mind for anyone considering ordering a R-Line as I'm sure the dealers will still quoting their standard 12-14 weeks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Sorry to hear about your delays. Mine was the opposite (Don't mean to rub it in). I ordered mine end of January with unconfirmed build 8th March, that never changed on Online tracking. My order was standard in white. Did online chat with VW towards end of February to check on build slot because I wanted to add tow-bar and camera, and was told car was already built and awaiting transportation to port. I was then told Long delays at Emden port. But mine arrived at Dealers on 31 March. So doesn't make sense that some orders are coming through??. I was originally quoted 12-14 weeks and wasn't expecting delivery until mid. May at earliest. I was told by another dealer that VW do slot cars in if they have a gap. So as a standard car this may be why mine was early?? Sorry I know this doesn't help with your orders

·
Registered
55 Posts
So this is my order story (so far)
Ordered my R-line (2.0TDI 200 plus a host of optional extras including towbar/Oryx white pain/Vienna leather/Nav pro system) on 25th Feb, was quoted a potential build date of week 17 with the dealer quoting a "status code" of 10, this has subsequently now been pushed back to week 20 (17th May) with a "status code of 20" which according to the dealer equates to a confined build date (The app however still shows as with the factory) dealer was quite reassuring that status code 20 means confirmed build date so might be worth asking your dealer what status code the system is showing my expected delivery to the dealer is early to mid June.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts