Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
2021 - 2040 of 2341 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Genuine question… why does an engine run in? I’ve seen it mentioned loads on many forums about new engines needing to be run in.

Like what happens to them to run them in that makes them more economical and perform better

Reactions: dannymidd1

·
Registered
357 Posts
Maybe it’s the old man in me but i was always told they need running in to get everything lubricated and worn into each other. Some people suggest that they are already run in but I have had 5 Tigs now and have treated them all with kid gloves for the first 1000 miles or so. When I was a traffic copper they never used to give us new cars that had less than 1000 miles on as they were likely to seize up. After that mileage they were handed over to us and thrashed to an inch of their life.

Reactions: Sparkie1984

·
Registered
638 Posts
Maybe it’s the old man in me but i was always told they need running in to get everything lubricated and worn into each other. Some people suggest that they are already run in but I have had 5 Tigs now and have treated them all with kid gloves for the first 1000 miles or so. When I was a traffic copper they never used to give us new cars that had less than 1000 miles on as they were likely to seize up. After that mileage they were handed over to us and thrashed to an inch of their life.
I’ve always wondered why they say about the running in. I think it did used to be in the manuals to take it easy for first so many miles .

Don’t get me started with how police vehicles are treated 😂 had the pleasure of riding in some lovely 1.3 diesel astras in my time. The black rats all had 3 series, X5, Volvos proper Gucci cars. Only people who had worse than us were the dog handlers

Reactions: SGreen679

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I am sure they are keyless without the electric tailgate, think it’s just the way they describe the options and add the standard option description in as well

someone without keyless please correct me if I am wrong.

id actually consider not being keyless a feature and I’d be happy with that personally havinga few keyless cars.
My last 4 cars have been keyless, I have no intention of going back to using a key again.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I try to take care for the first couple of hundred miles to help the brakes and tyre's bed in.

Apparently a chap who worked for Honda had the job of testing the engines, he was required to take the engines to the red line.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I was underwhelmed with my 1.5 150 until I hit 1500miles, thought I had made a mistake. But now it seems to have loosened up and seems have picked it’s feet up. Very impressed with it now. For those that have ordered one, bear with it until it has run itself in.
I noticed a distinct change in mine at around 1200 miles. It was like someone flicked a switch. Engine and gearbox seemed to be more responsive, revs a little higher in each gear, and fuel economy has gone up a little. It’s not quite as big a change as popping it in to S, but definitely a difference. Did make me wonder if running in has been programmed in

·
Registered
615 Posts
Genuine question… why does an engine run in? I’ve seen it mentioned loads on many forums about new engines needing to be run in.

Like what happens to them to run them in that makes them more economical and perform better
Less of an issue these days with CNC machining but the issue still remains. When you build parts that fit together (especially moving ones) they have to made precisely. There will be exact measurements but there will still be tolerances so not every part will be exact. So when the car operates the inexact parts move together and over time wear ti become a much more precise pairing. But this bedding in needs to be done gently and you need to ensure that the correct lubrication has got to all the necessary places. If you wear inexact inadequately lubricated parts too quickly they will get too hot and may damage. Take it gently they will bed in smoothly.

Back in the day, when parts manufacture wasn’t so good you were told to take it easy for thousands of miles. It less of an issue these days but it is still wise to take it easy on the car for a while from new (or after any new significant moving part has been replaced).

Best example is cylinders and pistons, you really want them to fit perfectly. They will be engineered to very small tolerances but worst nightmare is a cylinder that is slightly to wide and a piston (ring) that is slightly too narrow - no amount of bedding in would every make them match. So the engineering is deliberately designed to make the piston (ring) too tight so that bedding in will make it perfect. Aggressive driving at the beginning could score the piston liner or generate host spots which distort the parts. It is a very complex piece of engineering because it also has to allow for how parts made of different metals expand and contract as the temperature changes.

Electric motors are a lot easier.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
Ordered 9th August 2021: Tiguan R-line 1.5 TSI w/ keyless and electric tailgate
26 Posts
So it seems like no improvement from those who have received a dealer update this month.

Has anyone had experience cancelling autoebid orders or switching it to another car with them? I paid a £500 deposit.

·
Registered
254 Posts
For those that have had keyless for a while, how long does it take before you stop getting in to the car with the key in your right hand?! Just done it again this morning 🤦‍♂️
Not done that yet. Key stays in my pocket, clipped to my belt loop with a key link.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I noticed a distinct change in mine at around 1200 miles. It was like someone flicked a switch. Engine and gearbox seemed to be more responsive, revs a little higher in each gear, and fuel economy has gone up a little. It’s not quite as big a change as popping it in to S, but definitely a difference. Did make me wonder if running in has been programmed in
I suspect the ECU is actually programmed to do that.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Would make sense I guess if the ECU just prevented any excess revving and performance for a while

·
Registered
188 Posts
im old ennough to remmber cars having a sign on the rear window ' running in please pass' lol im sure i read in the handbook on line it was 1500 kilometers so about 750 miles or would you say more to run it in

• Haha
Reactions: SGreen679

·
Registered
638 Posts
im old ennough to remmber cars having a sign on the rear window ' running in please pass' lol im sure i read in the handbook on line it was 1500 kilometers so about 750 miles or would you say more to run it in
Were the indicators the little sticks that used to flip up 😛

• Haha

·
Registered
740 Posts
I always used to stick those peel-off labels saying "Running in" on the back windows of my Corgi toy cars........

• Haha

·
Registered
357 Posts
I said that to my dad the other day. I remember him getting new work vans well I was really young which had a sign in the back saying “Running in please pass”

·
Registered
42 Posts
Had an email from JCB Medway this week, Elegance 1.5DSG in Dolphin Grey (first week Sept order) has been built and has been transported to Emden docks, I'm guessing it could be another 6 weeks unless anybody can give a better estimate. Unless it's the luck of the draw which boats are in.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Had an email from JCB Medway this week, Elegance 1.5DSG in Dolphin Grey (first week Sept order) has been built and has been transported to Emden docks, I'm guessing it could be another 6 weeks unless anybody can give a better estimate. Unless it's the luck of the draw which boats are in.
It’s all down to luck of the timing of transport (land and sea). Mine was at the dealers a week after leaving the factory, but others have waited 4 weeks or more. Good luck, at least it’s on the way 👍

Reactions: adamcovfan
2021 - 2040 of 2341 Posts