Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
261 - 280 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Anyone with June orders or earlier still waiting? 🙈
Yep, April 23rd order and looking like a 22 plate now. History of the provisional build dates in the signature, and still not confirmed 🤬

• Sad
Reactions: Quinn010

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interesting suggestion over on the Q3 forum

Car manufacturers now have much tighter annual ‘EU fleet-wide’ emmisions target, it dropped from 130g/km to 95g/km in 2021
https://www.eea.europa.eu/ims/co2-performance-of-new-passenger

Could possibly explain why there seems to be more 1.5s seeping through and the 2l is very sporadic and random. Might see a rush of 2l coming through in January 🤞

·
Registered
226 Posts
Interesting suggestion over on the Q3 forum

Car manufacturers now have much tighter annual ‘EU fleet-wide’ emmisions target, it dropped from 130g/km to 95g/km in 2021
https://www.eea.europa.eu/ims/co2-performance-of-new-passenger

Could possibly explain why there seems to be more 1.5s seeping through and the 2l is very sporadic and random. Might see a rush of 2l coming through in January 🤞
Yes, I‘ve already mentioned this in one of my posts. The EU are fining car manufacturers if their production exceeds certain thresholds so most manufacturers are beginning to prioritise electric vehicles. Wolfsburg has no capability to build electric vehicles, VW have been trying to address this by restructuring the manufacturing plant but the work is well behind schedule.

All manufacturers put their own needs first, no matter what soft soap “we are all in this together, we are doing all we can” messages they put out. If a car manufacturer only has a slot to build one car they will go with the one with the highest profit regardless of which was ordered first. If a manufacturer has a chance to build some EVs to avoid fines then they will not matter how many ICE orders were ahead of them.

We are also in very strange times. Normally a manufacturer would be careful not to annoy customers too much to avoid cancelled orders but as we stand today they would welcome cancellations because they are faced with selling cars in 2022 at 2021 prices, exacerbated because inflation has increased above normal levels too. Today they could easily accept a cancellation and immediately sell the slot for £2k or £3k more.

The crazy thing is that since 2000 I have had a succession of company cars and one private car (the current one) all diesels to maximise the fuel economy and minimise taxation. For the last 20 years my cars have been below 120 g/km. I was happy with diesel but then it became demonised so this time I have ordered a petrol car - the result, my emissions will be 192 g/km.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, I‘ve already mentioned this in one of my posts. The EU are fining car manufacturers if their production exceeds certain thresholds so most manufacturers are beginning to prioritise electric vehicles. Wolfsburg has no capability to build electric vehicles, VW have been trying to address this by restructuring the manufacturing plant but the work is well behind schedule.

All manufacturers put their own needs first, no matter what soft soap “we are all in this together, we are doing all we can” messages they put out. If a car manufacturer only has a slot to build one car they will go with the one with the highest profit regardless of which was ordered first. If a manufacturer has a chance to build some EVs to avoid fines then they will not matter how many ICE orders were ahead of them.

We are also in very strange times. Normally a manufacturer would be careful not to annoy customers too much to avoid cancelled orders but as we stand today they would welcome cancellations because they are faced with selling cars in 2022 at 2021 prices, exacerbated because inflation has increased above normal levels too. Today they could easily accept a cancellation and immediately sell the slot for £2k or £3k more.

The crazy thing is that since 2000 I have had a succession of company cars and one private car (the current one) all diesels to maximise the fuel economy and minimise taxation. For the last 20 years my cars have been below 120 g/km. I was happy with diesel but then it became demonised so this time I have ordered a petrol car - the result, my emissions will be 192 g/km.
I get the feeling my dealer is desperate for me to cancel, having dropped a few hints, as they cold sell my order for around £7k more than I’m paying. However, I have a provisional trade in on it against a BMW X3 in September that is £3500 more than I’m paying for it. Getting seriously tempted to pull the trigger on that one.
VW are not looking at the bigger picture with this. While I understand the challenges they have, the lack of honesty and transparency from VW means this will be my 6th and last VAG car. While other companies are similarly challenged, they are at least keeping their customers informed (based on several friends and colleagues buying other brands).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Unprecedented times. Used cars sell for a premium and new ones can still be bought for a good discount but take a year to arrive!

I have the Tig below on order plus two other cars, an Up! GTi and an LR Defender. I am carless from March 4th (lease goes back) so hoping I will cover myself with the Up! for a few months until the Tig arrives in summer (it may be a fond farewell to my new little friend at that point). LRD probably not arriving until the end of the year and I will then decide to part with it or the Tig (depending on which one I like best). The theory being offloading a new car bought at a discount might not be too costly in the next 12 months or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well I’ve finally got my hands on my new car, just under 8 months from date of order! Well worth the wait.
Hi, I notice that you have mudflaps fitted front and rear as well as the running boards. Where did you buy the mudflats from? I have just taken delivery of my Tiguan and the supply or not of mudflaps has been an issue I have yet to resolve. Many thanks Nigel

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Had some great news today which I didn’t expect tbh. Ordered R line 2.0tsi 245hp reflex silver on the 27th August with only extra the dcc suspension and got a provisional build week of 9th/2022 which later became 10th and today i got informed that the build date has moved to a fixed 3rd\2022. Based on what i read here i am extremely lucky as i rarely have seen build dates moving forward, plus i should be receiving the car approx at 6months from order (unless it gets parked at wolfsburg waiting for parts).

Reactions: MartinAbdn

·
Registered
153 Posts
Had some great news today which I didn’t expect tbh. Ordered R line 2.0tsi 245hp reflex silver on the 27th August with only extra the dcc suspension and got a provisional build week of 9th/2022 which later became 10th and today i got informed that the build date has moved to a fixed 3rd\2022. Based on what i read here i am extremely lucky as i rarely have seen build dates moving forward, plus i should be receiving the car approx at 6months from order (unless it gets parked at wolfsburg waiting for parts).
Good news. I don't believe VW were building and parking, I know GM were doing that and running through final assembly again, but I could be wrong.

Dealers get individual allocation of build slots on monthly basis and once they are full they have to wait for the next release of slots so can order at the same time as you and have a completely different build date.
My understanding of Tiguan availability is that DSG boxes are the primary holdup (but not the only issue). My dealer told me 6 months and I'm still expecting a car in June unless I hear different.

·
Registered
101 Posts
other companies are similarly challenged, they are at least keeping their customers informed
All these things are anecdotal but during my research into the next car (Sept/Oct last year) this is about the opposite of what I saw on other manufacturer forums. Nothing but people complaining about dealers telling lies, stringing people along and delivery dates months beyond estimates. So many people were just about to cancel their orders I'm surprised there isn't a glut of cars available.

·
Registered
81 Posts
All these things are anecdotal but during my research into the next car (Sept/Oct last year) this is about the opposite of what I saw on other manufacturer forums. Nothing but people complaining about dealers telling lies, stringing people along and delivery dates months beyond estimates. So many people were just about to cancel their orders I'm surprised there isn't a glut of cars available.
I based my comment on friends and relatives who have had new cars on order over the last 7 months or so. Orders included Citroen, BMW x2, Ford, Honda and Fiat. All long lead in times, but all getting regular updates with 5 of the 6 getting them directly from the manufacturer, not from the dealer, and without the BS broken promises we have all experienced here. While these may be exceptions, and there will always be people who have bad experiences, even in normal times, they do take some of the negative bias out that you will always see on a forum.
I’d much rather have an honest update, even if bad news, than the six provisional dates I have had so far which seem more focused on VWUK retaining a sale than providing any level of customer service. After 18+ years and 6 VAG cars, there won’t be a 7th

·
Registered
153 Posts
I based my comment on friends and relatives who have had new cars on order over the last 7 months or so. Orders included Citroen, BMW x2, Ford, Honda and Fiat. All long lead in times, but all getting regular updates with 5 of the 6 getting them directly from the manufacturer, not from the dealer, and without the BS broken promises we have all experienced here. While these may be exceptions, and there will always be people who have bad experiences, even in normal times, they do take some of the negative bias out that you will always see on a forum.
I’d much rather have an honest update, even if bad news, than the six provisional dates I have had so far which seem more focused on VWUK retaining a sale than providing any level of customer service. After 18+ years and 6 VAG cars, there won’t be a 7th
Check out this thread of happy Kuga buyers Delivery Delays Mk3

You might be just as unhappy with a different brand.

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you've had 6 different build dates then it sounds like you were being updated.
I think you and I have a different definition of update. Removing the central update service and giving varying provisional build dates that continually move by 4 or 6 weeks is not what I call an update. If they had been honest back in April, or any time since, that I was not going to get it until at least March then I could at least make informed decisions. There are several things I would have done with the current car had I known I was keeping it for another winter. There are also a couple of subscriptions I’d have renewed for the year at a cheaper cost, rather than paying monthly. I’d also have ordered a few additional extras had I known that it would have been so long that the price would end up in the luxury VED band
Honesty and customer service is all I expect

·
Registered
153 Posts
I think you and I have a different definition of update. Removing the central update service and giving varying provisional build dates that continually move by 4 or 6 weeks is not what I call an update. If they had been honest back in April, or any time since, that I was not going to get it until at least March then I could at least make informed decisions. There are several things I would have done with the current car had I known I was keeping it for another winter. There are also a couple of subscriptions I’d have renewed for the year at a cheaper cost, rather than paying monthly. I’d also have ordered a few additional extras had I known that it would have been so long that the price would end up in the luxury VED band
Honesty and customer service is all I expect
OK, sounds like you didn't have a build slot allocated. The dealer will be working of estimated lead times which changed a lot during the pandemic. What you need to ask was where you were in their build slot allocation queue. Once the dealer has used their monthly allocation you have to wait for the next available slot which makes it tricky to estimate delivery. BMW customers seem to be happy that they were being updated but lots of slots being swapped around between dealers according to the forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey

New here.

I ordered a new 1.4 Hybrid R-Line (with options) on the 30th November. I'm finding it really hard to work out when I should expect the car. The lease company is saying around August this year; does that sound about right? 9 months wait time?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hey

New here.

I ordered a new 1.4 Hybrid R-Line (with options) on the 30th November. I'm finding it really hard to work out when I should expect the car. The lease company is saying around August this year; does that sound about right? 9 months wait time?

That does seem to be delivery times currently being experienced, perhaps even longer. But there are so many factors - orders placed from last April have been hampered by Covid lockdowns, Covid staff shortages, part shortages, transport delays, every month the manufacturers have hoped that these will start to ease and production speed up but that hasn’t been happening - but eventually the situation will start to improve and VW will be able to work on the backlog and begin to start bringing delivery times back to normal but who knows when that might be. Other factors are that VW might prioritise certain cars like hybrids to help them avoid emission-based fines, or those with higher profits because they need to claw back some of their financial losses incurred over the last two year so you can’t even assume that deliveries will be in the same order that purchase were made.

You might be more fortunate having ordered a hybrid because there is some speculation that VW want to prioritise those, on the other hand, being a new drivetrain, it might be more hampered by parts supply.

In summary with so many indeterminable factors, no one, including VW, can really say with any accuracy, so nine months seems to be a reasonable estimate to work with.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hey

New here.

I ordered mine in November and am expecting June delivery. The issue with lease cars is manufacturers are prioritising retail orders and the allocation of build slots your supplying dealer has. Some customers will get a faster delivery because their dealer has more slots for the particular car you are buying. DSG supply is affected by semi conductor shortages as well as DSG being restricted by build slots prior to the pandemic.
The lease company is telling you 9 months because that's how long it's currently taking.

·
Registered
153 Posts
That does seem to be delivery times currently being experienced, perhaps even longer. But there are so many factors - orders placed from last April have been hampered by Covid lockdowns, Covid staff shortages, part shortages, transport delays, every month the manufacturers have hoped that these will start to ease and production speed up but that hasn’t been happening - but eventually the situation will start to improve and VW will be able to work on the backlog and begin to start bringing delivery times back to normal but who knows when that might be. Other factors are that VW might prioritise certain cars like hybrids to help them avoid emission-based fines, or those with higher profits because they need to claw back some of their financial losses incurred over the last two year so you can’t even assume that deliveries will be in the same order that purchase were made.

You might be more fortunate having ordered a hybrid because there is some speculation that VW want to prioritise those, on the other hand, being a new drivetrain, it might be more hampered by parts supply.

In summary with so many indeterminable factors, no one, including VW, can really say with any accuracy, so nine months seems to be a reasonable estimate to work with.

Cheers,

Nigel
Nigel the reason delivery isn't related to order sequence is because of build slot allocation. If my dealer has an available slot and yours doesn’t (bmw dealers 'trade' slots) my car gets built first. The prioritising of lower emissions cars comes from the finance incentives (my phev was the cheapest way into a non 1.5 RLine) and the allocation of build slots. I'm not sure how VW does it it but its usually monthly or quarterly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey

New here.

It does yes. see 👇

261 - 280 of 336 Posts