Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
3781 - 3800 of 3843 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
If only I could afford an R!! I think this is the downside to the 1.5 engine. Had a look under the plastic flimsy engine cover earlier , turbo is tiny 😂
So basically, your wife is complaining about the performance of your tiny turbo :)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
🤣 yes basically I have a very nice looking, inefficient and lacklustre tiny turbo.
Yes, but do you have a very nice looking, inefficient and lacklustre wife?

Sorry, couldn't resist it - I'll get my coat......... :censored:

• Haha
Reactions: Dog Mum

·
Registered
39 Posts
Your average speed says it all - perhaps a petrol Tiguan was not the best choice of vehicle given your driving circumstances, I would have gone PHEV or fully electric for that type of driving. Good luck trying to keep the wife happy!
Why electric ? Their are diesel options.

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,602 Posts
Why electric ? Their are diesel options.
Using a diesel for that type of driving is just asking for DPF problems. I'm sure the DPF cleaning companies look forward to the business of those unfortunate enough to suffer these problems.

VW themselves do point out on their website this type of driving is not suitable for a diesel Volkswagen Technology Contact & FAQs | Volkswagen UK

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Honestly last few cars have been diesels never had an issue but don’t forget I do long journeys as well.

this morning was 13 miles on a dual carriageway and some 30moh roads in eco and got 37mpg. Be interested in seeing a Norfolk run in the next couple weeks

Reactions: Dany

·
Registered
298 Posts
My daily drive is 13 miles each way. I start early morning, drive is single carriageway A roads all the way. Going to work I get between 41 and 49 mpg. In the evening, around 6pm ish, on the way home, slightly different route including country lanes, I get between 30 and 37mpg. Personally, I'm happy with that. I knew i wouldn't be getting anywhere near the 40-50+ mpg I got from my previous car, an Up! but overall, I'm very happy with the "performance" of the 1.5TSI.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Using a diesel for that type of driving is just asking for DPF problems. I'm sure the DPF cleaning companies look forward to the business of those unfortunate enough to suffer these problems.

VW themselves do point out on their website this type of driving is not suitable for a diesel Volkswagen Technology Contact & FAQs | Volkswagen UK

Just delete the dpf or once a week get the revs up you will never see a problem most of dpf issues arrive when someone with a diesel never gets them up to 70mph enough to clear things out if you can get on a dual carriageway just put your foot down every so often

·
Registered
822 Posts
Also EVs are getting more expensive to run.

Note that I have an EV, I love it, we have just started looking to buy its replacement - but I'm not an evangelist, I can recognise and accept the CONs as well as the PROs of running an EV.

I (we) have two cars:
  • Nissan Leaf 40 (2 years old)
  • BMW 320D (5 years old)
Currently, where I live, diesel costs 190p per litre and electricity costs 30p per unit.

Before anyone says that there are EV off-peak energy tariffs - I have looked at those, sure they give me 4 hours of electricity between 00:00 and 04:00 at 7.5p a unit, but outside that period the electricity is more expensive at 35p per unit. Did some calculations and my bill would be higher if I switched to the EV tariff - make sure you read the fine print for these off-peak Smart tariffs - also remember that Smart tariffs are not subject to the OFGEM Cap, the energy companies can charge what they want for those tariffs.

Get back to the cost per mile,

BMW - averages 49 mpg - so that is 17.6p per mile

Leaf
- the 40kWh battery delivers on average 130 miles - charger/s operate at 80% efficiency so takes 50 kWh of electricity to charge the battery. A unit is currently 30p so that is 11.5p per mile

When charging at home, the Leaf is undeniably cheaper at the moment, but looking to the future, the cost of domestic electricity is going to rise in October and then again in January. Speculation is that it will be 35p a unit in October and 40p a unit in January. At the same time the cost of petrol and diesel is falling.

This is pure 'what if', we can't know for sure, but say by October, electricity is 35p per unit and diesel is 180p per litre, not unreasonable - then the costs become

BMW - 16.7p
Leaf - 13.5p

And if by January we are looking at 40p per unit and 170p per litre the costs would become

BMW - 15.8p
Leaf - 15.4p

As I said, pure speculation but the consensus is that the petrol and diesel are going to start coming down and may return to original levels while domestic electricity is going to continue rising is unlikely to ever return to original values.

And this is all before the government works out a way to tax EV electricity - currently it is only 5% - compared to around 65% for petrol and diesel.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,602 Posts
Just delete the dpf or once a week get the revs up you will never see a problem most of dpf issues arrive when someone with a diesel never gets them up to 70mph enough to clear things out if you can get on a dual carriageway just put your foot down every so often
Deleting the DPF is a fine of up to £1000 and is also an MOT fail, and as its also illegal you risk the possibility of voiding your insurance should you drive it on the road like this.

The original photos show over 1100 miles at an average of 25mph - hardly sufficient to clear a DPF for the long term. It may burn off a certain amount of soot but as the resulting ash builds up in the filter at some stage the DPF will become blocked.

DPF rules and regulations:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
As regards petrol v diesel it also has to be remembered that not only is diesel fuel more expensive than petrol but brand new Tiguan diesels cost about £3,000 more than the equivalent petrol model. Then there is the probability that diesel vehicles could well suffer greater depreciation as sales have slumped dramatically. However, I would have liked another diesel myself if it wasn't for the extra costs but then DPF issues have ruled them out now.

Reactions: Sparkie1984

·
Registered
39 Posts
Deleting the DPF is a fine of up to £1000 and is also an MOT fail, and as its also illegal you risk the possibility of voiding your insurance should you drive it on the road like this.

The original photos show over 1100 miles at an average of 25mph - hardly sufficient to clear a DPF for the long term. It may burn off a certain amount of soot but as the resulting ash builds up in the filter at some stage the DPF will become blocked.

DPF rules and regulations:
The voiding of your insurance is not true it’s a myth I debunked on the police uk Reddit I had multiple officers confirm to me that they can only notify a insurance company and that would be left down to you and your insurer they cannot and will not cancel your insurance the moment you add a illegal mod or take of a required part like dpf egr ect they may increase your monthly or decide to cancel your insurance later on but it wouldn’t be automatic. Diesels have always been solid engines that last the age of time if their properly serviced and looked after it’s as simple as that around town driving daily in a diesel can be problematic if you neglect your services when your supposed to. Maybe a diesel car isn’t for somebody who never leaves 10 mile radius of their home but that’s not the case for majority of people I think majority of people have ample opportunity to get into 6th gear and put their foot down regularly wich will always sort out a dpf that starts to collect soot. Ditching the Diesel engine for EV over a dpf is just silly imo services when their due is key for these engines.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Also just washed the BMW 320D M-Sport - looks fantastic in the sunshine. Does 49 mpg on average, maybe 60 mpg on gentle long runs. Does 0-60 in 7 secs. Only 20k on the clock so barely run in. All paid for.

Sometimes I wonder whether I should just keep it.

Cheers,

Nigel
Personally I would be seriously thinking about keeping the BMW. The wife had a 320D and as you have said the performance, economy and drive from the BMW really is unbeatable in the same price bracket, we no longer have the BMW and we do miss it.
The voiding of your insurance is not true it’s a myth I debunked on the police uk Reddit I had multiple officers confirm to me that they can only notify a insurance company and that would be left down to you and your insurer they cannot and will not cancel your insurance the moment you add a illegal mod or take of a required part like dpf egr ect they may increase your monthly or decide to cancel your insurance later on but it wouldn’t be automatic. Diesels have always been solid engines that last the age of time if their properly serviced and looked after it’s as simple as that around town driving daily in a diesel can be problematic if you neglect your services when your supposed to. Maybe a diesel car isn’t for somebody who never leaves 10 mile radius of their home but that’s not the case for majority of people I think majority of people have ample opportunity to get into 6th gear and put their foot down regularly wich will always sort out a dpf that starts to collect soot. Ditching the Diesel engine for EV over a dpf is just silly imo services when their due is key for these engines.
No idea why the police have been mentioned in this discussion?

Take a read at the bottom of this page where it states 'Removing a DPF could also invalidate any insurance cover because it makes the vehicle illegal for road use'

Removing a DPF is not a good idea which ever way you look at it if you intend to drive the vehicle on the road - the vehicle would be illegal.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Personally I would be seriously thinking about keeping the BMW. The wife had a 320D and as you have said the performance, economy and drive from the BMW really is unbeatable in the same price bracket, we no longer have the BMW and we do miss it.

No idea why the police have been mentioned in this discussion?

Take a read at the bottom of this page where it states 'Removing a DPF could also invalidate any insurance cover because it makes the vehicle illegal for road use'

Removing a DPF is not a good idea which ever way you look at it if you intend to drive the vehicle on the road - the vehicle would be illegal.

Like I stated in the very article you sent in the AA also confirms just running the engine regularly on a dual carriageway/motorway will always keep your dpf clean if you never leave 10 miles away from your house and your in start stop traffic a ev is no good either petrol would always be the better out of the two and so can a diesel aslong as you drive the odd long trip you will never see a problem with the dpf

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Honestly Nigel I’d keep the Beemer!

Especially if it has the sublime ZF 8 speed auto 😍 makes the DSG look like an auto out of a 20 year old Toyota Previa 😂

Reactions: Trims and CNC

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, take readings from several tank fulls and you should get a more accurate reading. That is the way I've recorded my mpg for many years with different cars. Sad to say I've got all the data recorded on a Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet.....

(For those that might not know Lotus 1-2-3 pre-dates Excel).
Lotus!! Wow that bloody old!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Lotus!! Wow that bloody old!
I started using Lotus 1-2-3 in the eighties/nineties when the company I worked for started investing in desktop computers. Yes, in those days you had 5¼ floppy disks. Anyway, with Lotus I produced spreadsheets which certainly made it easier with annual forecasts and budgets when previously everything was written down in pencil so the figures could easily be amended.

My copy of Lotus 1-2-3 is dated 1997 and because there were no restrictions back then I can still install this on any computer - probably not supposed to but I still like using it and it is very fast. Excel offers far more but takes a while to load up so for simple stuff I still use Lotus. And to think, when I started work in the seventies there were no such things as desktop calculators except a mechanical device called a Facit. Oh happy days...........

Reactions: PaulfromSheffield

·
Registered
112 Posts
I started using Lotus 1-2-3 in the eighties/nineties when the company I worked for started investing in desktop computers. Yes, in those days you had 5¼ floppy disks. Anyway, with Lotus I produced spreadsheets which certainly made it easier with annual forecasts and budgets when previously everything was written down in pencil so the figures could easily be amended.

My copy of Lotus 1-2-3 is dated 1997 and because there were no restrictions back then I can still install this on any computer - probably not supposed to but I still like using it and it is very fast. Excel offers far more but takes a while to load up so for simple stuff I still use Lotus. And to think, when I started work in the seventies there were no such things as desktop calculators except a mechanical device called a Facit. Oh happy days...........
Lotus or as some of the stuff they used to do moved to IBM, some organisation still use notes which is like outlook, in someways better in someways very dated and clunky

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe a diesel car isn’t for somebody who never leaves 10 mile radius of their home but that’s not the case for majority of people I think majority of people have ample opportunity to get into 6th gear and put their foot down regularly wich will always sort out a dpf that starts to collect soot. Ditching the Diesel engine for EV over a dpf is just silly imo services when their due is key for these engines.
I live in a city and made the mistake of buying a VAG diesel with DPF. It simply wasn't possible to keep it de-coked. Putting your foot down from time to time isn't sufficient - they need to be run warm most of the time to perform optimally. Diesels are great if you do big mileage, not so for folks who do lots of short trips. OTOH EVs are most efficient around town. For the current Tiguan range I'd suggest the diesels are for big mileage drivers, with either the 1.5 TSI or eHybrid for city dwellers, depending how much you're prepared to spend.

3781 - 3800 of 3843 Posts