Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'am a new Tiguan owner 2020 demonstrator with 1700kms, bought mid-May. Since I am retired now I drive it only 2 to 3 times a week. A few days ago it being very warm outside the overhead console was hanging by the wires. Went to dealer where they told me I had pulled it down. Has anyone else had this experience,

·
Super Moderator
3,111 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I have to say I have not seen anything on this forum about the issue you have.

I am surprised it does not have at least one screw holding it in place and if its just double sided tape then of course you can have a failure, the dealer is just being awkward like they do once the sale has been made.

I assume your not based in the UK and do not know what the rules are in your country but in ours you have a period of time where you can say fix it or you can have it back and give me a refund, your be surprised during this period how many dealers repair the issue.

Good luck and let us all know how you get on.

·
Registered
226 Posts
As jk says, I'm not sure where you are located, but it shouldnt matter really. The overhead console is bolted and clipped into the headliner, so I'm not sure what you mean when you say it's hanging by the wires.

The following shows the 3 different headliner types. One is the short console headliner, number 2 is the extended overhead console and number 3 is the headliner with the short console for vehicles with panoramic roof. I've circled the bots and clips applicable to each headliner type:

Font Parallel Auto part Diagram Drawing

The dealer should fix this if it's hanging down without the fixings, because either they haven't been fitted, which is unlikely, or it's been badly repaired (bodged) by someone, presumably not you. Worst case scenario is that you can buy the bolts, they are very cheap, and then reattach the console unit to the roof liner.

Hope this helps.
Axel

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,111 Posts
I would be asking why the bolts are missing,

Is it the sunroof version and has someone had the headlining down previously.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the replies but the console broke off all of the clips that hold it up. The 4 screws are still in the roof with the pieces that broke off. That is the reason the dealership is accusing me of tampering with it. I've tried dealing with VW Canada but they are just going by what the dealership told them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'am a new Tiguan owner 2020 demonstrator with 1700kms, bought mid-May. Since I am retired now I drive it only 2 to 3 times a week. A few days ago it being very warm outside the overhead console was hanging by the wires. Went to dealer where they told me I had pulled it down. Has anyone else had this experience,
yes we have a Tiguan with just over 15000kms, noticed that the console was dropping out, booked it in with the dealer to be fixed. they made it completly worse and then told us that we must have pulled it out. I thought I would get online and see if anyone else has had this issue. turns out yes. We will be taking this further so disappointed

·
Registered
1 Posts
It just happened to me, all 4 broke off all of the clips that hold it up, I went on vacation for last month (June), and I left the car parked outside for 30+ days, I came back last week and I found it (the console) hanging by the wires. June has been very hot here in Texas.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
That’s crazy! Is it the heat making the plastic weak?

If the UK hits 40 degrees next week as predicted we’ll all probably have the issue too

·
Registered
2 Posts
It just happened to me, all 4 broke off all of the clips that hold it up, I went on vacation for last month (June), and I left the car parked outside for 30+ days, I came back last week and I found it (the console) hanging by the wires. June has been very hot here in Texas.
I went on vacation for 2 weeks and returned to this issue as well. Given the recent heat waves, sounds like an issue with the plastic clips melting in extreme heat.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2021 VW Tiguan was parked for 2 days in 100F temperature and the overhead console was hanging down held by the harnesses, cables, and wires. The 4 tabs with the screws were broken off. The plastic is so thin and the heat stressed the plastic. What a horrible design. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet. That should be a treat. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Actually they were surprisingly accommodating. I guess they were used to seeing this issue before and simply ordered a replacement. I am currently waiting (up to 2 week wait time) for the parts to come in so they can replace. It should be part of your warranty.
Best of luck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts