Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been reading up on the new 2017 Golf, and noticed in a video review they said for the first time the Park Assist will allow forward parking in a perpendicular space.
Now my previous car (2013 Golf GT) had Park Assist, with perpendicular parking, but only reversing in.
I always thought that reverse perpendicular parking was daft as you need to access the boot to get your shopping in.
So I just checked the Tiguan manual for advice on perpendicular parking using Park Assist, and I've included a picture that shows that the Tiguan also includes perpendicular parking using Park Assist for both forward and reverse perpendicular parking.
The problem arises that the manual has no explanation on how to use it.
Has anyone tried perpendicular parking using Park Assist, and more impotantly actually worked out how to use it :?:

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
385 Posts
Hi Essjay

The "perp" parking works a treat for reverse parking

Select the Park mode and turn on the indicator for the side you are looking at (if you are in two rows of parked cars) - it seems to offer both sides if you don't indicate but I noticed it seems to get confused sometimes. :D

Slowly and that's walking pace move along the lines of cars looking at the display until it shows an arrow pointing backwards.

Stop select reverse (at this point I do get worried) tap the throttle and then use the brake to slow the process down (it can get very fast :eek: )

Watch the bar on the left of the screen (I've got one of those virtual dashboards it may be different on analogue) for the stop and change direction instructions.

Do not hold the steering - this often seem to stop everything

The car does the rest "simples" but it is a little strange to say the least.

Forward parking is interesting - the scanners in reverse require you to pass the slot to determine if you can get a car in and they look to the side to see if you can swing the car.

I don't see how they can see forwards

Something for the car park this weekend :p

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Earl_H, I don't have a problem using Park Assist for parallel parking or reversing into perpendicular spaces.
My main concern is, as you say, how can the sensors see forward in order to park 'nose in'.
I reckon you're right, a trip to a nice quiet car park is called for. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Essjay

I am confused by the Park Assist on my Tiguan. It is different from my Golf GT 2013. It seems to automatically detect whether you can bay park (e.g. In a car park) or parAllel park (in a street) but mine gets confused such that if there is more than one space free in a car park it reverts to parallel park mode. The manual, and online vw videos, suggest that I can press the park assist button twice to force bay parking but when I do this the second press cancels park assist completely.

Has anyone else had similar issues?

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Colin, I must say I'm not really a fan of the 'bay parking' feature as I just don't see why anyone would want to back into a space :?. If I go shopping then I want to be able to put my shopping in the boot. Far easier to do if you park 'nose in'.
If I ever do need to 'bay park' then I tend to rely on the 'area view' cameras. I too had the bay park feature on my Golf GT and must admit I never used it.
I've really not used the feature often enough to notice the problem with the double button press, so I'm afraid I can't comment on that.

Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
In my experience, many places REQUIRE that you park nose out when using perpendicular parking, e.g oil company offices and anywhere MOD/military. They make contravention a disciplinary issue!
Allegedly its for "elf n safety" or for a quick get away in emergency (more likely!).

IMO if you can't park nose in without resorting to electronic park assist, the I would question that drivers suitability to be in control of the vehicle...at all...i certainly don't want a driver like that any where near me or my family :shock:

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I reckon the number of times I'm likely to park in oil company offices or anywhere MOD/Military is probably nil, but I get your point ;)

Steve

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very often wish that I didn't need to park there either, but it's what pays the bills.....

I have been called out of meetings to turn my car around to the "correct" orientation before now!

·
Registered
202 Posts
But forward sideway or backward parking...isn't it about just because you can - I mean using the technology. I can park in any way with milimeters to spare and never had a car with a sensor on it - but now that I have one with a button I can push.. i want to do it....doesn't reflect my driving capabilities....just like I would never judge someone who uses an electric shaver of being incapable of shaving the 'proper way'.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JonP said:
But forward sideway or backward parking...isn't it about just because you can - I mean using the technology. I can park in any way with milimeters to spare and never had a car with a sensor on it - but now that I have one with a button I can push.. i want to do it....doesn't reflect my driving capabilities....just like I would never judge someone who uses an electric shaver of being incapable of shaving the 'proper way'.
+1 ;)

Steve

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Ok, so how do you tell it to park perpendicular, nose in? The mk1 I have, you press the button once for parallel, twice for perp. You indicate to say which side of the road you want to park, what extra do you need to do to park nose in?

P.S. main reason I see for reverse perp is those few car parks that have a path down between the rows of cars, e.g our local Tesco has this.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tricky said:
Ok, so how do you tell it to park perpendicular, nose in?
Exactly my question in the opening post, for which, as yet we still have to find an answer! ;)

Steve

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
steve_t said:
Having a look through the manual, it says that perpendicular parking is for reversing into the park
Steve, if you look at my opening post in the thread you'll see a copy from the manual which specifically mentions forward perpendicular parking. However from reading the passage many times, I'm beginning to think it's probably been included in error, as there's no mention of it in the operation section.

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
Essjay said:
steve_t said:
Having a look through the manual, it says that perpendicular parking is for reversing into the park
Steve, if you look at my opening post in the thread you'll see a copy from the manual which specifically mentions forward perpendicular parking. However from reading the passage many times, I'm beginning to think it's probably been included in error, as there's no mention of it in the operation section.

Steve
Well then it's time to answer the question don't you think? :)

I'm not sure if this applies to the new tiguan since I haven't received mine yet, but it should work since it's equipped with park assist 3.0 right?
According to this video (
skip to 3.30) you first make a move into the parking space and than you press the park assist button. The car will "take over" and straighten up the car before it moves the car forward into the space.

Please try it out and let me know :D

·
Registered
202 Posts
Well that seems to clear up the question!!

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Isolis said:
Essjay said:
steve_t said:

Steve
Well then it's time to answer the question don't you think? :)

I'm not sure if this applies to the new tiguan since I haven't received mine yet, but it should work since it's equipped with park assist 3.0 right?
According to this video (
skip to 3.30) you first make a move into the parking space and than you press the park assist button. The car will "take over" and straighten up the car before it moves the car forward into the space.

Please try it out and let me know :D
Hi Isolis, thanks for the link, that looks like you've discovered the answer. I can't understand why this is not explained in the manual. I'll give it a go next time I find a quiet car park ;)

I've embedded the video for others to see

Steve

Link:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but is there a way to tell the system to perpendicular park rather than parallel park? It keeps wanting to parallel park if the space is larger than 1 car wide.

Not good when you are trying to show your new car gizmo's off to people :lol:

·
Registered
627 Posts
It will only display the mode which it detects there is space for and sometimes if it's two or more bay parking spaces free it's annoying and doesn't recognise it as a bay. If however it shows an icon to the top right of display telling you to reverse it means it has identified both ways to park and press of the button again switches between the two ways so you can choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.