Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the reasons I was attracted to the Tiguan was that fact that I see it as a 4WD car for light users and, in my case, anything more serious was overkill.

Does anyone with 4Motion leave their car in 4WD mode all the time? TBH since speccing it, I haven't actually turned it on as FWD has been good enough in my part of the country which has been cold but dry. Even during rain on the way back from North Yorkshire, I didn't really feel the need to flip it to snow or off road mode.

As an aside, I'm also interested to know how it performs in a muddy rutted field. My previous car has permanent mechanical 4WD and getting in and out of places such as rutted festival car parks was a breeze when others were having to wait to be towed out by tractors. I've seen the review videos of course but they're not really a real world representation of how they might be used.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My understanding is that during normal road mode, its 2WD and if car slips, it transfers/limits power to other wheels so its kind of 4WD as and when needed.
Not sure switching over to off road/snow mode actually makes it permanent 4WD? If it does, it probably change some other things too?

I'm keen to find out as well.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I agree with HMRC the 4 wheel mode kicks in when needed. I have a SEL 190 TDI with outdoor (offroad) package and it is great in a muddy rutty field. I was up in Scotland fishing in October and the farmer had had heavy machinery in the field next to the river and our road had disappeared in to a morass of deep ruts, mud and water. Other cars including a 4x4 Toyota got stuck and advice was to avoid and walk a mile in. My Tiguan made light work of it and never hesitated even though I bottomed twice as ruts were so deep. I also have the protection package with mudflaps, rubber mats and boot floor and it stayed relatively clean unlike the other 4x4 which got through but was covered in mud from floor to roof! I was in off road mode and you feel the AWD kick in as individual wheels started to spin. Now feel confident taking it anywhere.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Slowingdown
Let me firstly say that for off-roading you need a capable motor vehicle but just as important is the driver. On many occasions my mark1 Tiguan outperformed vehicles with far superior off-road credentials, this was further complicated by the fact there was 1.5 tons of caravan on the back, the only way they got off a wet muddy field was with a tractor on the front. I have never needed this.
My mark2 has not had a severe test yet, new year was the worst, although frosty after 40+ cars with caravans had driven on and off the field it got sticky - no problems.
I do not turn the 'off road' when on road, there is no need. The off road position cuts off any skid and introduces down hill braking, all designed for slower speeds, not what you need on road.
I believe that the mk2 is even more capable off road than the mk1, so I don't foresee any problems for my needs.
Hope this helps.
Roy

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hi the Mark 2 Tiguan uses the fifth generation of haldex, this is classed as permanent 4WD.

It's the same system used on the Q3 because the time to change is do minor the reaction time to drive the other wheels is similar to the new ultra system used on the A4

1 - 7 of 7 Posts