Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else got GAP insurance on a leased Tiguan?

Going through the ALA quote process and its asking for cover level and I'm a little unsure as to what level I should consider. It suggest 20k over 3 years on my R-Line based on appoximate purchase price of £35k. Does 20k sound about right or too much ?

I'm assuming in the event of total loss at any point during the lease the VWFS would want to recoup the remainder of my lease payments and the sell on fee that they would get at the end, or would they just want the entire purchase price back at the end ? If thats the case then 20k might be whats required as after 2-3 years the car would only be worth 40-50% of its original value

·
Registered
627 Posts
Have you got the terms and conditions of the lease agreement yet.

I'm doing PCH too but not had anything yet as far still in process of being shipped.

I am assuming that we will be liable for the full value of the remainder of the lease which will include interest AND residual value of vehicle. Make sure you select the Hire cover on GAP as that will cover you for remainder of lease as well. Also suggest considering adding the deposit cover too. I think it's suggesting a high amount to ensure you are covered for lease payments and vehicle price.

Therefore I will be going with the suggested insured amount. But at least it's covered. If it's not enough you probably have grounds to complain at some point.

If it doesn't make much difference I'd rather be over insured than not insured for enough.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I've had no T&C's yet, I assume that will come nearer delivery time.

I assume by Hire cover you mean the Contract Hire Plus policy : https://www.ala.co.uk/gap-insurance/contract-hire-gap-insurance

Going with the price of £35k, £2k initial deposit and £20k cover its coming up as £191 for 3 years cover using the VP10 code, doesnt seem to bad for 3 years, for the peace of mind alone :D

Although it is good to know that I'm not alone on this and you'll be getting your car first so can light the way :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Little tip, if you put the car value as £34999, instead of £35000 the its £20 cheaper at £171 ;)

·
Registered
627 Posts
I will let you know. Mine worked out initially at about 60 a year when I first looked but I'm only getting SEL over 2 years and my invoice value was only about £27k. Will confirm later as not got paperwork to hand.

I like option to buy it over ten months too so won't notice it go.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bhuna said:
I will let you know. Mine worked out initially at about 60 a year when I first looked but I'm only getting SEL over 2 years and my invoice value was only about £27k. Will confirm later as not got paperwork to hand.

I like option to buy it over ten months too so won't notice it go.
Ok thanks, So are you only getting GAP cover for 1 year instead of 2 ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Sorry no. I'm getting it for full term (2 years) but I like to break costs down to an annual equivalent as when added to normal insurance gives me a good idea each year of cost of the car.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Bhuna said:
Sorry no. I'm getting it for full term (2 years) but I like to break costs down to an annual equivalent as when added to normal insurance gives me a good idea each year of cost of the car.
Ah ok got ya :)

·
Registered
627 Posts
And not forgetting that it doesn't sound so bad then when explaining the costs of the car to the wife so she agrees you can go for the next spec up :).

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bhuna said:
And not forgetting that it doesn't sound so bad then when explaining the costs of the car to the wife so she agrees you can go for the next spec up :).
To right mate ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts