Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

So i downloaded and loaded some POIs which was OK.
I've added them to the POI list.

Do they only display on the map or is their a method to say list all 'Attractions' and select one?
Not sure I understand how the personal POIs work.
I was expecting them to appear as a selectable item like the petrol and parking ones in the Nav section.

Cheers Phil

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi

New to the forum, but have been lurking for a while..... took delivery of my SEL TDI 2 weeks ago and love it.

Discovery Media and CarNet have somewhat defeated me, I wanted to add safety cameras as local POIs of interest :lol: , I purchased a subscription from http://www.pocketgpsworld.com, used CarNet to transfer it the car, downloaded it to the car using Car Net, changed the settings to play announcements for local POIs. All appeared to work

But nothing happens, there is no warnings the cameras do not appear in the map view - I included an image as part of the transfer, when I check via discover media it appears my list is there in one of the submenus.

Does anyone have any ideas? Are there anyother ways to be able to display and alert Safety Cameras?

Many thanks

Phil

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Phil,

Unfortunately Im in work but like you I downloaded the Speed Camera database from pocketGPS successfully.

To get then to display you have to go into Nav setting then Map (I think). From there you can display the POI's you want to see.

However be aware they disappear when the map zooms out past a certain level.

Let me know how you get on. If you are still having issues I can go to the car and add the steps in a more detail.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I too use the Pocketgpsworld camera database, however I just use it in conjunction with their CamerAlert app on my iPhone (I think it's on Android too). I just run it at the same time, with the Camera announcements over the infotainment system alongside the directions.
I just stick my phone on a vent mount, and power it from the 12v socket with an adaptor (to avoid conflicts with Carplay).
The beauty of running them on your phone means they can be used without having to run the satnav, and more importantly it allows you to keep the database up to date with the regular updates to your phone which would otherwise require a complete reload of the poi's on the satnav every couple of weeks.

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
209 Posts
Folks,
Hope this helps:

http://en.poipoint.eu/jak-wgrac-poi?GPS=VW

I always use the an sd card to load poi's as I find carnet a bit flakey.

The link above provides the instructions for creating a data file for upload to VW systems. I use the pocket gps speed cams. Once loaded the cams show on the map, you do have to select them from the list to show them, just like you would the preloaded pois, such as railway stations etc. Once you've done that each time you approach a cam you get a short tone, indicating an impending camera.

Also VW have just released the late November map update for the discovery system. The likelihood is that we will have the may maps, as we were early adopters. Here's a link to the VW site with the info:

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/technology/navigation-and-entertainment-systems/discover-navigation

I used the discoverycare software shown on the site. As my nav system is sd card based you download the discoverycare software and then you are asked to insert your VW nav sd card. The data is backed up and then the new maps downloaded. It takes a few hours to download the maps even with a fast connection (40mb/s). After that it loads the new maps to the card. All very simple, but a bit frightening at first when you are putting in your VW nav card.

I did mine a coupe of days ago just so that I had the lastest maps. Worked like a charm and the speedcam pois are still there, but on new maps. I know the maps are new as well, not just because of the version numbers, but because a road has just opened near to me. It wasn't there on the maps when I got the car in early sept, but the new road is now on the maps, incredibly so are 2 mobile speed cameras as well! :roll:

Hope this helps.

Cheers axel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks everyone

In the end I got them displayed with Wsbtaylor advice - I had not gone to the sub menu where you select the individual PoI you would like displayed.

Now to work out how to make it ping...... but perhaps not

thanks

Phil

·
Registered
209 Posts
Phil,
It looks like you are almost there. To create the poi file you use the VW sammlung poi German site. You load the csv files of the cameras as well as the jpg images for the camera type. When you load each one you need to tick the box which says: Bei Annäherung an diese POIs informieren., which translates as "When approaching these POIs inform". Just like this:
Product Font Screenshot Software Technology

Then save the file to a sd card and when you load the personal pois in the car unit and activate them via the nav menu they will give a visual and audible warning. The audio tone sounds about 30 yards before the actual camera.

It's actually quite good because the tone actually sounds even if you don't have a route programmed in, i.e. With just the maps in the background the tone will sound every time you're near a camera.

Hope this helps.
Axel

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yetirider did you find how to do this?

I've also loaded some personal POIs which show on the map but can't find a way to navigate to them.

Regards

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've much the same problem. I can see my POI on the map but can't navigate to them other than by tapping the poi on the map. I thought I'd be able to search in the same way as the preloaded poi's, (e.g. typing restaurants in to the search which returns results).
In my case its Keyfuel petrol stations.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi everyone,

Just joined, great site. I have taken delivery in AUS of 2017 Tiguan Comfortline 140TSI with luxury pack and driver assist, and i believe it has Discover Media sat nav.

The only problem I am running into after downloading from Pocket Gps World is that this link does not take me to the relevant site as you have displayed.

http://www.volkswagen.de/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html

Can someone assist as Speed cameras here are almost as crazy as the UK

·
Registered
244 Posts
I also use my phone to run the pocketgpsworld database as per Essjay's method. This works very well for me also; however I'm a bit worried that the pocketgpsworld team may not have upgraded their app to run on iOS 11 by the time that comes out.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Malcm, the latest on the iOS upgrade from their forum is saying they're working on it and hope to have it ready by the time iOS 11 is released.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
244 Posts
Essjay said:
Malcm, the latest on the iOS upgrade from their forum is saying they're working on it and hope to have it ready by the time iOS 11 is released.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers mate ! :)

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
Although they are working on an upgrade to their app, it looks like the Pocketgpsworld Cameralert app won't be available for the initial release of ios11, however I'm hoping it will be available very soon. 🤞

Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 6 month old Tiguan and I'm trying to use the Car Net Portal to upload POI files, a couple of issues that I wonder if you can help with.
1. Kmz files will not upload irrespective of file size.
2. I'm using .csv files, which upload , however the NAV system can only handle 200 entries. I've taken a large .csv file, which uploads, and have removed all but a 100 entries. The NAV system then believes there is no data in the file. I've tied renaming the files, clearing fields, changing headings to no success.
3. I note that with a successful .csv file loaded, searching for a location in the POI lst does not work, despite correctly selecting this function the menu,
Is it possible that the file format is not correct for the Tiguan ?
I see from the posts that there is a web feature, somewhere in Volkswagen, that creates files. I cant find it, even the German Volkswagen site doesn't understand POI so I cant search. A direct link would be great.
Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Axel said:
For those who load pois into their nav unit, vw have changed the site where they host the app to create pois.

It still the same process as I listed earlier, they've just moved the site to here:
http://rollout.volkswagen.de/content/de/brand/de/navigation/discover-pro/poi-listen-sammlung.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Axel
Hi Axel

VW appears to have either moved the site again or just stopped the support entirely.
Given VW's total lack of customer focus, I suspect its the latter.

Cheers
EArl

1 - 17 of 17 Posts