Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Soon after picking car up last week noticed the dash cubby lid didn't look like it was seating properly. Not horrific, but not expected on a (nearly) new car - certainly not one costing this much. Been into dealer today and booked in to get replaced. Not a great photo but corner closest to view is about 2mm up and opposite corner same down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
welshkaiboy said:
I think mine is pants too, that top cubby is a waste of space anyway. It's almost twisted.
Yea, twisted is how I'd describe it. Checked an R Line in the showroom, which fitted perfectly. Hope they'll sort it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Mines the same. Noticed it a while ago and trying not to let it get to my OCD.
I thought it might just be a case of adjustment or poor design where the heat from sun through the windscreen is distorting the thin plastic moulding. I would imagine any replacement would end up the same, so I'm tempted to leave it for now.

·
Registered
627 Posts
niggly58 said:
Mines the same. Noticed it a while ago and trying not to let it get to my OCD.
I thought it might just be a case of adjustment or poor design where the heat from sun through the windscreen is distorting the thin plastic moulding. I would imagine any replacement would end up the same, so I'm tempted to leave it for now.
Ditto but now someone else has mentioned it, my OCD is going to kick in every time I'm in the car lol.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Had a look at the lid mechanism this morning.
The button operates two latches which engage in some holes in the body of the dash. There are rubber buttons which act as stops for the lid. There is a bit of compression on these rubber stops, which, if you press down, allow the lid to sit flush.
What I have done is to stick some small strips of anti-rattle felt to the top and front face of each of the latches, which has the effect of pulling the lid downwards when it is closed. The lid now sits perfectly level.
Much better than risking damage to the dash by having it replaced.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
niggly58 said:
What I have done is to stick some small strips of anti-rattle felt to the top and front face of each of the latches, which has the effect of pulling the lid downwards when it is closed. The lid now sits perfectly level.
Much better than risking damage to the dash by having it replaced.
You obviously haven't seen my DIY skills :lol: If I tried sticking something on to improve it, belive me it's going to look a lot worse than it did before!

Quite happy to let the dealer sort it under warranty.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Statto1927 said:
You obviously haven't seen my DIY skills :lol: If I tried sticking something on to improve it, belive me it's going to look a lot worse than it did before!

Quite happy to let the dealer sort it under warranty.
That's fine- but for those who feel confident in attempting it- it really is a simple fix. Hope you are enjoying the rest of your Tiguan.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
niggly58 said:
Hope you are enjoying the rest of your Tiguan.
Lovin' it :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So - update. Took Tig in this morning for them to sort. 2 hours later told me that the only way they can sort this is - wait for it - replace the whole dash! Not going to do that! Could introduce all sorts of other problems. Going to have a look at niggly58's tweak instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Interested to hear how you get on statto1927.
Mine has raised itself up a bit again on the left corner now it has gotten very warm.
Will have a look at it again when the weather's cooler and see if any more can be done.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Just a thought couldn't you take the lid of f and put the speaker grill in instead

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, I think that's the whole problem. There doesn't appear to be any way to get to the bits you'd need to, in order to be able to take the lid off, unless you use a hacksaw! :lol:

If I could take the lid off myself and try some sort of Heath Robinson manual adjustment I would but it looks like the whole things is designed to be non accessible from the top.

I can live with it. I won't notice it.......much.

It's the one pice of poor fit on the whole car.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Statto1927 said:
No, I think that's the whole problem. There doesn't appear to be any way to get to the bits you'd need to, in order to be able to take the lid off, unless you use a hacksaw! :lol:

If I could take the lid off myself and try some sort of Heath Robinson manual adjustment I would but it looks like the whole things is designed to be non accessible from the top.

I can live with it. I won't notice it.......much.

It's the one pice of poor fit on the whole car.
Translated into you will look every time you get in the car, I know I do.

·
Registered
134 Posts
And just when you've just forgotten about it, it could pop up, mid tight left hander at 30mph, like mine did recently!!! And thats one that fits nicely too!! I keep my sunshades in it, I miss the overhead compartment now I have a sunroof.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Should've gone with the dynaudio package?

This compartment is one of the things I actually disliked about the Tiguan, so happy I went for the dynaudio package which places a speaker there instead. :cool:

·
Registered
446 Posts
FWIW mine is the same, or I have noticed something similar, the edge nearer the passenger side sits slightly proud of the dash. I might take a closer look sometime!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts