• Buy Buy Buy!

Votes: 1 100.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I#m looking at buying this thing of beauty, it has all the bells and whistles but its a 2016 model although I thought it has a 2017 spec can you advise as i'm about to pull the trigger and want to know if i'm getting a good deal? I drove the car today and absolutely love it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Do you need 4WD And R Line Spec?

i have seen SEL models with low mileage for 22k to 23k on autotrader with manual box which helps with fuel economy
You may need to travel but 3k saving potentially

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
My view is I'd avoid early mk2's, there were issues with the collision detection braking for no reason. There's a huge early thread in here about it.

4wd, main reason to get it is if you need it, do you live in an area where you have heavy snowfall in winter, or do you tow a caravan? I do and I found it great pulling across grass fields etc. P.S. The 4wd is 'part time' it's controlled by an electronic clutch to the rear drive, and the car engages when it needs it.

A comment about economy: You'd be hard pressed to beat the economy of a DSG with a manual. Auto's traditionally had a torque converter which lost a lot of the power between the engine and gearbox. DSG is basically an automated manual gearbox with conventional clutches. Plus there's 2 clutches, and the next gear is preselected, so switching between gears is very fast, faster than any person could change. And the change points are computer controlled for the best economical change point. So don't consider it as a regular auto box.

·
Registered
206 Posts
"Auto's traditionally had a torque converter which lost a lot of the power between the engine and gearbox. DSG is basically an automated manual gearbox with conventional clutches. Plus there's 2 clutches, and the next gear is preselected, so switching between gears is very fast, faster than any person could change. And the change points are computer controlled for the best economical change point. So don't consider it as a regular auto box. "

On many VWs of the last 10 years the fuel economy of manual versions has been better than the DSG versions, IIRC particularly for higher torque versions with "wet" clutch. And "conventional" autos now tend to have lockup in the higher gears to avoid those traditional losses and are at least as efficient in ranges where there is a choice vs automated twin clutch. VW group has never quite perfected DSG...

Reactions: iamcboy82

·
Registered
206 Posts
Re the car the OP linked to, it's a lovely looking car. Usual dilemma: R-line looks great, lots of them around, but you're paying more for less standard spec, less comfortable ride, slight ongoing costs penalty for fuel and tyres.

Re price, well, there are no bargains in the s/h car market at the moment !

Do you need a change of car right now ? A brand new 1.5tsi DSG R-line or Elegance Tiguan, taxed and delivered to your door, is just over £28k from drivethedeal or similar brokers, but with a long lead time. Not the same spec as yours but 5.5 years newer, for £4k more....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Re the car the OP linked to, it's a lovely looking car. Usual dilemma: R-line looks great, lots of them around, but you're paying more for less standard spec, less comfortable ride, slight ongoing costs penalty for fuel and tyres.

Re price, well, there are no bargains in the s/h car market at the moment !

Do you need a change of car right now ? A brand new 1.5tsi DSG R-line or Elegance Tiguan, taxed and delivered to your door, is just over £28k from drivethedeal or similar brokers, but with a long lead time. Not the same spec as yours but 5.5 years newer, for £4k more....
Echoed my thoughts…

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thats a pretty well specced car and i do like that colour of paint. A new build with that spec would easily be £35k. Used car prices are high atm so up to you if you think its worth it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for your opinions, I need a car asap as I have a sprinter cab van LWB atm its not the best thing to be driving with kids, I think i'll have a lok at some SEL models before I pull the trigger, thanks again

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thanks all for your opinions, I need a car asap as I have a sprinter cab van LWB atm its not the best thing to be driving with kids, I think i'll have a lok at some SEL models before I pull the trigger, thanks again
Before you buy check out what its likely to be worth in future, the R Line holds its value better and is an easier sell when you're done (buying new the R Line is a LOT cheaper on PCP because of the residual value). You're also buying at the absolute peak right now, neighbour is an independent dealer and isn't taking in any stick he doesn't have orders for because he expects prices to start falling new year and I interest rates go up could be quite a fall. Might be worth buying a cheap banger and holding firm until the market calms down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts