Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be grateful for advice.

I placed my order in February and paid a deposit. I am due to get the Tig July/August and the dealer has confirmed my Tig will be MY18 spec. However, the base price for the MY18 spec car is slightly more expensive than the MY17 spec car.

The dealer has issued a revised invoice including the price increase. My understanding is that my deposit secured the purchase at the MY17 price. I had negotiated a 14% discount for cash so I imagine the dealer is trying to recoup some money. Is my understanding correct?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
If you read the small print of your purchase agreement you will probably find the dealer is within his rights to charge any increase in manufacturers price. In the interests of good customer relations and deoending on the size of the increase, I would have expected the dealer to absorb the cost.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Who reads the smallprint eh? I'm as guilty but "Caveat Emptor"

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
This has come up before in a previous post which I can't find, however here's a copy of my T&C's which clearly state in items 5 & 6 that you can be liable for both an increase in car tax or an increase in the purchase price. ;)
Newspaper Publication Font Newsprint News

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Agree that's pretty poor service from the dealer. I would check the small print carefully but my understanding is that if you've ordered and paid a deposit then you've entered a contract for the dealer to supply the goods at the contracted price.

I've just checked my original order terms and conditions and clause 1.Contract states "The order for sale of a motor vehicle at the agreed price"
That seems clear to me

·
Registered
134 Posts
Essjay said:
This has come up before in a previous post which I can't find, however here's a copy of my T&C's which clearly state in items 5 & 6 that you can be liable for both an increase in car tax or an increase in the purchase price. ;)
IMG_1918.JPG

Steve
That's interesting , no such clause in my order contract and I didn't even have to pay the road tax increase which they were entitled to charge

·
Registered
207 Posts
To be fair you have negotiated a discount which according to VW Preston is greater than their profit margin.ie 12%. No doubt good reasons for offering this level of discount.
Given you are getting a 18 spec vehicle and had excepted a 17 spec I would have thought a small increase in price would be acceptable.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
463 Posts
Just checked the invoice for my new Harley not yet delivered and it also says I can cancel within 14 days if I dont like any subsequent price increase.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Most people who really want what they have ordered and accept they are going to have a long wait to receive it won't want to jeopardise their agreement and pay the increase in cost if they see it as reasonable. I don't see the dealer is trying to pull a fast one and is well within his rights to pass on the increased cost. I'm sure you will still be getting a good deal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
A 14% discount on the marked price is a terrific deal. How much is this worth to you in pounds/euros? The best discount I could bget on my Tiguan was 8%. You've done better than most I would suspect. How much is the price difference between the MY17 & MY18 variant? How much more are they asking you to pay? Do you think the extra money is worth it. If not, you have the option of pulling out of the deal......

·
Registered
627 Posts
Spec the car again and ensure you actually agree the price increase first is what they have quoted. The only reason I say this is that I thought the increase in base price of the car was only actually about £50, if that and then the loss of washers on the front headlights - which apparently was being included free for those cars that ordered before a certain date.

If they then haven't taken into account the same discount you got before, consider writing a letter of complaint asking for a full explanation and reserving your rights to cancel depending on the outcome of their response to your complaint. State that you are aware of other orders in February that were already delivered and not delayed to MY18 and why was yours "later" and therefore you are now being penalised for it being "later" than other Feb orders (worth a try).

If the increase is still unsatisfactory to you, get some further quotes elsewhere (even try VWPreston) to see if you can even better the now new price you are being asked.

Then make the decision...cancel and re-order, cancel totally, accept and pay....

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think the dealer should honour the original price as it is the one agreed upon/negotiated. When I queried whether they had forgotten to include my rear view camera as it didnt show on the VW tracker, the salesman I had done the deal with sent me a screen shot showing it was on the order. On the same screenshot was a section labelled "price protection" which had a code assigned. My understanding was they ringfenced the price with VW. I know the T's & C's state otherwise but I've never had a price increase on the original

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd cancel the order if they won't honour the price. 15% off r line and Sel cars and 16% off se models on drive the deal at the moment. No haggling, just spec and order

·
Registered
463 Posts
Its easy. T&C's apply as signed in agreement. Any other agreement even if verbal if agreed, will take precedent. If the latter is not agreed then either the increase is accepted or the order can be cancelled within time limits as agreement.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Would be interested what contributed to the price increase. I ordered a MY17 spec car but VW UK told me that my car would be built to MY18 but I would get the headlamp washers FOC, even though it is an option now, as that is what I ordered. I would dispute the price increase and see how keen the dealer is to lose a sale. Believe me that they will never discount more than their profit.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi winyra
Gotta love drive the deal, yes recently there was an extra £1000 support on certain Tiguan's that meant the discount level was as they advertised! All online brokers have to secure a car from a VW Dealership, so quite often they will quote for a deal, and hope that a VW dealer will accept the deal. At VW Preston we pride ourselves on offering the best deals available, but recently we will not match drive the deal pricing as it's just not possible, without loosing money! They can offer you a great deal but may not be able to get you the Tiguan!

·
Registered
51 Posts
VWPreston said:
Hi winyra
Gotta love drive the deal, yes recently there was an extra £1000 support on certain Tiguan's that meant the discount level was as they advertised! All online brokers have to secure a car from a VW Dealership, so quite often they will quote for a deal, and hope that a VW dealer will accept the deal. At VW Preston we pride ourselves on offering the best deals available, but recently we will not match drive the deal pricing as it's just not possible, without loosing money! They can offer you a great deal but may not be able to get you the Tiguan!
Purchased my car through Drive the Deal at their advertised price, my local dealer couldn't get near it (£1600 difference)
Their VW dealer was always in touch and the car arrived in 9 weeks.
A very simple process and I also got a full tank of diesel and the two extra weeks of road tax for free.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm pleased to say the dealer is honouring the original price.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Good to hear, so they should. Well done to the dealer for seeing sense!

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
CAAPPL said:
Thanks to everyone for their input. I'm pleased to say the dealer is honouring the original price.
Well done, sounds like you've got a good dealer there. 👍

Steve

1 - 20 of 20 Posts