Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking forward to collecting my car this Friday but the shine has been taken off by the dealers 'penny pinching' attitude when I went in to discuss a part exchange value just before Christmas. The young salesperson was insistent that my vehicle wasn't eligible for the free servicing as part of the SUV event in November, even though I ordered during the qualifying period and it would be registered by 31st December, because they didn't anticipate receiving the car so early. Then when I said i'd wait till January to register the vehicle he advised me that i'd pay extra as there have been a number of price increases since order placement! He could see I wasn't happy and it wasn't until his manager came out and advised he'd throw in the free servicing as a gesture of goodwill!‎

Then I asked I would like the 'protection pack' fitted before driving the vehicle away at the list price of £280 (incl. VAT) but this is now suddenly‎ £330 (incl. VAT). He says he can see the correct part code on his sales screen but the system won't allow him to purchase it for £280, then ‎inferring it's only £50 extra for me to pay saying that's nothing when your spending thousands on a brand new car!‎

I don't appreciate this kind of attitude but would accept paying the increase if this is genuine but I have lost all trust with the dealer and just wondered what others have paid or if anyone on here knows of a price increase? I have checked the VW website and cannot find anything, even on the latest 21.12.2016 price list. Thinking of contacting VW direct but don't want to compromise my vehicle in any way if they were to contact the dealer direct!

I thought that buying a shiny new car would be an enjoyable experience, instead it's just the opposite, especially when I get the feeling the dealer is trying to claw back as much money as possible. ‎Don't think they'll be offering any free bottles of screenwash!‎
‎‎

·
Registered
53 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles.

The dealer that I used was pretty up front with me about stuff like this and said they would be more flexible if I was taking out finance so for example I would have qualified for the free servicing at the SUV event.

My protection pack was RRP at the time of purchase (July 2016) so I think was £280. The mats and mud flaps are fine but the boot tray is a bit flimsy. Not really sure how it can be £280 (or £330 in today's money). I also totally understand that any computerised ordering system won't allow for local branches to over-ride a price as that increases the risk of fraud. As it's a dealer fit option you can presumably drop it at any time up until the point of delivery though.

I think that, unfortunately, you got caught with the inevitable price rises new models go through and the only thing I can suggest is to take along someone who is a negotiator but not a complainer. Personally, I'm not a negotiator so just pay whatever they're asking but maybe someone who is more successful with these situations can offer a different view.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just make it cleR that if they charge you the extra 50 quid it will be the last car you ever buy from them. I've bought 5 from my dealer over the years and get treated very well indeed!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
:idea: :idea: :arrow: :arrow: Surely when purchasing the vehicle 'pasquale' and putting a deposit down, you and the dealer were entering into a legal binding contract of the purchase price....... I would therefore I be inclined to take it further with the dealership principle directly and also tell them you are very unhappy with the attitude of the sales person at his/her dealership....... then if no joy, take the next step informing them you will refer it to VW company uk.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That's a good point actually. If you have the receipt from when you originally purchased with the cost listed at £280, then I can't see why they wouldn't honour it. However, if you didn't order it at the time you ordered the car, then I get why they're charging you the new price.

Assuming that it is the former and you have the receipt with the price clearly marked (mine is), then your argument is pretty unassailable.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the messages, the car wasn't purchased on finance and they didn't include the protection pack when I ordered as the dealer said he can fit this, not the factory and best purchasing later on. Just wanted him to be telling me the truth about the increase. I'll try and not let in dampen my spirits as I have been looking forward to getting the car.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I think that the dealers can be flexible about these prices.

I had an issue getting a warranty repair done but once it got to the heads of sales and service at the dealer, it got resolved but I also wanted mud flaps fitted while it was in. Warranty repair now done and the mud flaps (£180 ish) were fitted FOC.

So a "negotiate" is well worth the effort

Earl

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Earl_H said:
I think that the dealers can be flexible about these prices.

I had an issue getting a warranty repair done but once it got to the heads of sales and service at the dealer, it got resolved but I also wanted mud flaps fitted while it was in. Warranty repair now done and the mud flaps (£180 ish) were fitted FOC.

So a "negotiate" is well worth the effort

Earl
Any chance of a pic with the mud flaps on please...may have them fitted myself :)

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sort a pic(s) out tomorrow - after the colours been changed from mud to Indium Grey :D

Looking at the mud splatter they seem to work OK

Earl

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thanks Earl :) :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
i negotiated the price i wanted to pay for the car with the vw salesman , then negotiated with the parts manager the price i wanted to pay for various accessories which they will fit for free before handover both were more than helpful , all in all a quick and painless experience at a price i was happy with

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi Stumpy

Sorry for the delay, all I could see yesterday was frost :eek:

They aren't wildly oversized and against the grey hard to see.

Interestingly they have also added front sections - the only reason I can think of is that this is for aerodynamics but I bet someone else has the real reason.

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle White
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thanks Earl_H..... wow they do blend in well, I like very much. And as you say not over big. I'm going to get some myself, you've made my mind up. Thanks for posting mate :D :D :p :p

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They do look good, I was expecting mine to be fitted as part of the protection pack when i went to collect the car this afternoon but they forgot to fit them! After all the issues with the cost he agreed to the £280, the only thing is I have to go back to the dealer next week to have them installed which is an 80 miles round trip. Don't mind returning though as I noticed a fine scratch on the wing, the young autoglym guy had a go at trying to remove it, but wasn't successful and didn't have the confidence to buff it out as the main guy was on holiday till next week.

·
Registered
88 Posts
How does the protection pack work with the 240's "exhausts" mate?

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
The 'Protection Pack' includes the flexible boot liner, the mudflaps and the rubber mats, so the 240's exhausts have no effect on it ;)
Unless you're talking about the R Line, then the Protection Pack is not available.

Steve

1 - 17 of 17 Posts