Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
R Line Tech 1.5tsi dsg in Deep Pearl Black
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear all,
I currently have a 1.5tsi dsg R Line Tech which is the run out spec of the last model before the facelift model came out, due to the long lead time of a factory build of the facelift model I’ve started looking at a new R Line, much to my disappointment the new model seems to have much less kit on it compared to the Tech model I currently have, for example no Pan Roof, no electric tailgate, no CD Player and SD card slot, no proper buttons on the steering wheel, no proper dials for heating/climate controls just touch screen type that can be very distracting, no visible twin chrome tailpipes that give the car a little presence, no split level boot floor, different USB size connectors, if I want an absolute like for like in the new model it works out to be quite a lot more than what I paid for my current car, so I suppose my question is to all who have moved from the previous model to the facelift model what are your thoughts? How does it compare? Do you prefer it? What is better and what is worse?
personally and this is just my opinion I don’t like what VW have done to the new R Line and creating all this touch screen stuff i‘m not a fan of, I’ll be interested to hear your opinions,
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Well my new Tiguan is the first Tiguan for me so I cannot compare, however, I too would have liked the CD/SD card Player but it appears that is not possible as a retro-fit - the plastic panel hiding the space is somewhat cheap looking and should have been properly re-designed IMO. Anyway, mine is only a Life but I did spec many options. I was concerned about the lack of heating rotary dials but the sliders work okay, not too distracting, and look modern - at least they are fully illuminated unlike those in the new Mk8 Golf.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my new Tiguan is the first Tiguan for me so I cannot compare, however, I too would have liked the CD/SD card Player but it appears that is not possible as a retro-fit - the plastic panel hiding the space is somewhat cheap looking and should have been properly re-designed IMO. Anyway, mine is only a Life but I did spec many options. I was concerned about the lack of heating rotary dials but the sliders work okay, not too distracting, and look modern - at least they are fully illuminated unlike those in the new Mk8 Golf.
Thanks for the comment, yes I sat in a Golf 8 yesterday and not overly impressed by the lay out and I believe you have to actually go into the main menu on the touch screen just to access the heating controls, very odd

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dear all,
I currently have a 1.5tsi dsg R Line Tech which is the run out spec of the last model before the facelift model came out, due to the long lead time of a factory build of the facelift model I’ve started looking at a new R Line, much to my disappointment the new model seems to have much less kit on it compared to the Tech model I currently have, for example no Pan Roof, no electric tailgate, no CD Player and SD card slot, no proper buttons on the steering wheel, no proper dials for heating/climate controls just touch screen type that can be very distracting, no visible twin chrome tailpipes that give the car a little presence, no split level boot floor, different USB size connectors, if I want an absolute like for like in the new model it works out to be quite a lot more than what I paid for my current car, so I suppose my question is to all who have moved from the previous model to the facelift model what are your thoughts? How does it compare? Do you prefer it? What is better and what is worse?
personally and this is just my opinion I don’t like what VW have done to the new R Line and creating all this touch screen stuff i‘m not a fan of, I’ll be interested to hear your opinions,
Thanks in advance
I have an R-Line Tech and test drove the facelift R-Line. I agree, too much tech has been lost (not sure about the cloth seat pattern either) and some of the changes are, in my view, a backward step (I know some people like the new touch steering wheel controls and loss of proper dials for heating etc, but that is not for me). I do like the Tiguan (I've had 2 MK2 Tigs and most of the mechanicals are the same on the Mk2 and facelift versions) but with all the tech and trim changes, I can't see me getting a third. Indeed, I am looking now to replace mine and my shortlist doesn't include the Tiguan.

Clearly though, the facelift version has many fans as this forum testifies and its all down to personal choice and financial situation.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an R-Line Tech and test drove the facelift R-Line. I agree, too much tech has been lost (not sure about the cloth seat pattern either) and some of the changes are, in my view, a backward step (I know some people like the new touch steering wheel controls and loss of proper dials for heating etc, but that is not for me). I do like the Tiguan (I've had 2 MK2 Tigs and most of the mechanicals are the same on the Mk2 and facelift versions) but with all the tech and trim changes, I can't see me getting a third. Indeed, I am looking now to replace mine and my shortlist doesn't include the Tiguan.

Clearly though, the facelift version has many fans as this forum testifies and its all down to personal choice and financial situation.
Hi John, yes you are right it is down to personal choice and I’m a little old school and like buttons,
i‘m not sure about going for one when it’s due for change and I’ll look around at other brands, someone on here on another thread has gone for the new Kia Sportage but I might look at an Audi Q3 Black Edition as my daughter works for Audi so there’s plenty out there to choose from,

·
Registered
159 Posts
I've ordered an Elegance to replace my R-Line Tech for the electric tailgate & pano roof. Two of the main things I use and both at an additional cost on the new model R-Line.

The car might not look as nice but it will be practical, a compromise I was prepared to make (if it ever arrives!).

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've ordered an Elegance to replace my R-Line Tech for the electric tailgate & pano roof. Two of the main things I use and both at an additional cost on the new model R-Line.

The car might not look as nice but it will be practical, a compromise I was prepared to make (if it ever arrives!).
My sister in law did exactly the same, she wasn’t bothered about the R Line look just wanted the practicality and the kit she already has

·
Registered
822 Posts
My sister in law did exactly the same, she wasn’t bothered about the R Line look just wanted the practicality and the kit she already has
I did the same but might be regretting it. My order was placed on 29/82021, originally with an estimated build week of 2 (2022) but the latest is an estimated build week of 10 (2023).

If that holds (and I have little faith) that will be around 19 months from order to delivery.

I’ve asked over and over again whether there is anything specific about my order, trim, engine, options, that is specifically causing the delay but keep being told that there isn’t.

Cheers,

Nigel

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’ve been driving for nearly 30 years and always (up until now) had the traditional twisty knob thing for the heating controls. As many have said… they just work. Having owned my facelift for 13 months I will say it is very easy to adjust to the new tech regarding heating controls.
I totally appreciate it’s an individual choice but if sliding/touch sensitive buttons are ALL that puts you off a car (Tiguan) that ordinarily you’d choose then don’t.
Yes there does appear to be some downgrading in kit. I accept that but as with a lot of change. It really only takes a month at most to adjust to the new tech.
Give it 3/4 years and I’d imagine most manufacturers will adopt touch sensitive controls in some form

·
Registered
426 Posts
I’ve been driving for nearly 30 years and always (up until now) had the traditional twisty knob thing for the heating controls. As many have said… they just work. Having owned my facelift for 13 months I will say it is very easy to adjust to the new tech regarding heating controls.
I totally appreciate it’s an individual choice but if sliding/touch sensitive buttons are ALL that puts you off a car (Tiguan) that ordinarily you’d choose then don’t.
Yes there does appear to be some downgrading in kit. I accept that but as with a lot of change. It really only takes a month at most to adjust to the new tech.
Give it 3/4 years and I’d imagine most manufacturers will adopt touch sensitive controls in some form
I agree if it was just the buttons and dials that were the problem, even though I don't like them, I would consider compromising as fundamentally the Tig is a good car. But for me, there are a list of issues (a number identified by Stevie G in his OP) that just makes the car unattractive to me. A personal choice. The fact that I still haven't made a decision on what to replace my Tig with even though I have been looking for about 6 months shows that the Tig is still a hard act to follow. If I can't better it, I will keep my current car for the foreseeable future.

As to the future, one way appears to be voice control. The new BMW X1 for example, has few buttons and knobs and instead has a large touch screen. Unsurprisingly, the heating controls are located here. However, these controls can be adjusted by voice command. Assuming that works, that may be an acceptable way forward.

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,602 Posts
As to the future, one way appears to be voice control. The new BMW X1 for example, has few buttons and knobs and instead has a large touch screen. Unsurprisingly, the heating controls are located here. However, these controls can be adjusted by voice command. Assuming that works, that may be an acceptable way forward.
The VW Golf already has voice control for the climate function, but the Golf is a whole generation in front of the Tiguan mk2.5 in the technology stakes. I would imagine the Tiguan mk3 will be the same or similar to the Golf when it arrives

Reactions: John27

·
Registered
822 Posts
The VW Golf already has voice control for the climate function, but the Golf is a whole generation in front of the Tiguan mk2.5 in the technology stakes. I would imagine the Tiguan mk3 will be the same or similar to the Golf when it arrives
Is it? Or is it that the Golf gets the voice control as standard whereas it is an optional extra on the Tiguan.

This is how I ended up with the Discover Pro on my order - maybe ruing that decision because it could be that which is adversely delaying my order - but that is pure speculation.

1. I read the complaints about the touch controls (not just for heating but for other settings - like turning ESC on and off) and saw that some said that you could just use voice controls. I'd already tried these in an Audi Q3 where they come as standard - along with the bigger infotainment system
  2. So I looked at adding voice control but then noticed for a little extra I could add Discover Pro which comes with voice control
  3. That gave me a bigger screen which I liked but I did wonder whether it was really worth the money.
  4. It was unclear what you actually got with Discover Pro, was it just the voice control and bigger screen so pressed the dealer who looked it up and came back with - bigger screen, voice control, faster processor so better performance all round, more flexibility of what you can share with the digital cockpit (for example you can have the VW Nav map on both the infotainment and digital cockpit screen at the same time), more music storage options, CD, SD and potentially hard disk
So all in all it seemed like a nice bit of kit and not marketed very well in the brochure or configurator.

Reactions: Sparkie1984

·
Registered
540 Posts
Is it? Or is it that the Golf gets the voice control as standard whereas it is an optional extra on the Tiguan.

This is how I ended up with the Discover Pro on my order - maybe ruing that decision because it could be that which is adversely delaying my order - but that is pure speculation.

1. I read the complaints about the touch controls (not just for heating but for other settings - like turning ESC on and off) and saw that some said that you could just use voice controls. I'd already tried these in an Audi Q3 where they come as standard - along with the bigger infotainment system
  2. So I looked at adding voice control but then noticed for a little extra I could add Discover Pro which comes with voice control
  3. That gave me a bigger screen which I liked but I did wonder whether it was really worth the money.
  4. It was unclear what you actually got with Discover Pro, was it just the voice control and bigger screen so pressed the dealer who looked it up and came back with - bigger screen, voice control, faster processor so better performance all round, more flexibility of what you can share with the digital cockpit (for example you can have the VW Nav map on both the infotainment and digital cockpit screen at the same time), more music storage options, CD, SD and potentially hard disk
So all in all it seemed like a nice bit of kit and not marketed very well in the brochure or configurator.
There are no CD, SD or hard disk options on the Discover Pro Nigel.

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,602 Posts

The Golf system has had a substantial upgrade from this year, a colleague at work had his new Golf two weeks ago, the standard infotainment really is very good and makes my Tiguan system (2018 MY) rather dated in comparison, and the Tiguan facelift infotainment is just an updated version of the one I have and nowhere near as good as the Golf version 2022 Volkswagen Golf Shows Its Substantially Quicker Infotainment

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Yeah I am a bit disappointed that the facelift infotainment is basically the same as the old tiggy one apart from a swipe down menu?

I was a bit disappointed that changing from a 2018 SEL to a new R line was a downgrade on a lot of features however I think it looks really good and I’ve never had the wow factor with my SEL but looking at the R lines I get that. So downgrade on extras but upgrade on the cosmetics

I also think the new headlights look much better, rears I won’t comment on @dannyjpersonal 😂

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
The Pro version also only comes in left hand drive configuration, and while I fully understand due to production costs why they do this I find the standard version works pretty good and it also looks balanced with an equal amount of buttons on both sides of the screen.

·
Registered
298 Posts
After months of research and cross checking, I opted for an Elegance due to the lack of kit in the R-Line and the awful cloth seats. The seats in Elegance Trim are Alcantara and are wonderful. The steering wheel has proper buttons on it, not the horrid haptic ones on the R-Line. The heating controls I never touch. Set the temp to 19' and AUTO (plus A/C on in the current climate), and job done. As mine is in Black, it still looks intimidating and in my opinion, as good if not better than an R-Line. Standard features also include keyless entry, electric tailgate (with foot swipe opening & closing), panoramic sunroof and IQ Lights full LED Matrix headlights and tail lights. Also my opinion, you can't look at a car while your driving it, so buying a car on looks alone is just a vanity project. As for the Infotainment, wireless Apple Carplay is a revelation. I have a vent mounted MagSafe charger that plugs into the USB 3 port in the front console. Works like a dream.

Reactions: CUK

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used to own a 2019 1.5 tiguan r line and now i m an owner of a 2022 245hp 2,0 tsi r line. I generally think there is an effort from vw between the old and the facelifted version to maximise profit by cost cutting:

1) even though i dont have any problem with the touch controls both on the steering wheel and the clima, they are cheaper looking (and the ffel too is cheaper) than the old ones.
2) fake exhausts. (enough said)
3) no sd card
4) the material on the seats is cheaper than the old r line
5) usb C fitted are not powerful enough to charge the phone in a timely manner

On the other hand:
1) driving position is higher
2) car seems to be quieter. That's both from road noise and from engine noise (although you can't really compare 2 different engines but the 2.0lt seems to be quietter than the 1.5............maybe due to the sound insulation being better on the facelift?)
3) ambient lighting: you can switch between different colours while on the pre facelift it was all white.
4) better external lights

Reactions: mrew42
1 - 20 of 59 Posts