Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Allspace R line 245 Tsi 4motion DSG
2,403 Posts
I used to own a 2019 1.5 tiguan r line and now i m an owner of a 2022 245hp 2,0 tsi r line. I generally think there is an effort from vw between the old and the facelifted version to maximise profit by cost cutting:

1) even though i dont have any problem with the touch controls both on the steering wheel and the clima, they are cheaper looking (and the ffel too is cheaper) than the old ones.
2) fake exhausts. (enough said)
3) no sd card
4) the material on the seats is cheaper than the old r line
5) usb C fitted are not powerful enough to charge the phone in a timely manner

On the other hand:
1) driving position is higher
2) car seems to be quieter. That's both from road noise and from engine noise (although you can't really compare 2 different engines but the 2.0lt seems to be quietter than the 1.5............maybe due to the sound insulation being better on the facelift?)
3) ambient lighting: you can switch between different colours while on the pre facelift it was all white.
4) better external lights
All the above having moved from a 2.0 TDI R Line Tech to the same engine in an Allspace.
Doubly true of charging with the wireless charging.
WIth the USB C I have resigned myself to the fact that it at least won't flatten the battery while i'm using Android Auto

Also just a point re: the 'lower' spec, the pre facelift R Line was very similar to the current spec. The Tech gave you a bunch of extras, at an extra cost.
The current facelift spec includes more safety spec and i was happy to pay the extra for those bits I saw as very useful (rear camera, Easy open boot & IQ lights)

Agree with the engine though. Super smooth and quiet :)

·
Registered
R Line Tech 1.5tsi dsg in Deep Pearl Black
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
All the above having moved from a 2.0 TDI R Line Tech to the same engine in an Allspace.
WIth the USB C I have resigned myself to the fact that it at least won't flatten the battery while i'm using Android Auto

Also just a point re: the 'lower' spec, the pre facelift R Line was very similar to the current spec. The Tech gave you a bunch of extras, at an extra cost.
The current facelift spec includes more safety spec and i was happy to pay the extra for those bits I saw as very useful (rear camera, Easy open boot & IQ lights)

Agree with the engine though. Super smooth and quiet :)
Yes I think you right re the original spec of the R Line but all of them from the launch in 2016/17 had a Pan Roof as standard where as the current facelift R Line model does not, mind you all new launch facelift models generally are basic compared to to run out previous models but the spec improves again when they are due to be replaced then they become run models

·
Registered
R Line Tech 1.5tsi dsg in Deep Pearl Black
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Do you prefer the original seats? I prefer the newer ones
Sparkie,
I don’t mind either really as both have cloth,a little alcantara and a little fake leather just a different pattern, although I used to work for VW Bristol they couldn’t sell me car when I retired because all they had was cars with leather seats so I had to travel to VW Mansfield to get my current car, not a massive fan of leather as I had two BMW’s with it and was either too cold in the winter (not heated) and too hot in the summer, I do like the alcantara ergo seats in the SEL. It’s a pity we can’t mix and match when order new cars,

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Not keen on leather myself - reminds me of those horrid vinyl seats back in the 1970s and that hot hot summer of 1976....

·
Registered
307 Posts
This photo are the seats in my R Line Tech and were standard in all other R Line models prior to the face lift model
Take those seats, get a 2 year old. Feed them ten packets of M&Ms and 2 cans of Coke. Spin them round by the ankles and throw them in the car and you have the new R-line seats!! 😁

·
Registered
298 Posts
I use Wireless CarPlay and have my iPhone (13) on a vent mounted MagSafe charger plugged in to the RHS centre console USB-C socket. It works fine, charges my phone while I use CarPlay. It seems to me, from what I've seen on here, it's just you Android users that are having issues with the charging rate.

My son has recently switched from a Samsung phone to an iPhone and has commented how much better CarPlay is to Android Auto in his car (Peugeot 3008). He suffered the same sort of issue. The phone wouldn't lose any charge on Android but its charge rate was woeful. With CarPlay it does actually charge his phone while using CarPlay. In his case both are wired, not wireless.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I use Wireless CarPlay and have my iPhone (13) on a vent mounted MagSafe charger plugged in to the RHS centre console USB-C socket. It works fine, charges my phone while I use CarPlay. It seems to me, from what I've seen on here, it's just you Android users that are having issues with the charging rate.

My son has recently switched from a Samsung phone to an iPhone and has commented how much better CarPlay is to Android Auto in his car (Peugeot 3008). He suffered the same sort of issue. The phone wouldn't lose any charge on Android but its charge rate was woeful. With CarPlay it does actually charge his phone while using CarPlay. In his case both are wired, not wireless.
No, my iPhone (12) looses charge faster than it charges on the wireless pad, even when not using it (I.e. connected to car-play but doing nothing). It just about keeps up when plugged in (to the usb-c port) directly, but even that struggles if I actually use it for anything via car-play. The only way it charges faster than discharges is if I use a cigarette socket to USB adapter. It can’t be a coincidence that the USB charge rate is the only significant MY23 update.
The wireless charge pad is an expensive, metaphorical, doorstop and the USB-C ports aren’t much better - In my car at least.

Reactions: mrew42

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
No, my iPhone (12) looses charge faster than it charges on the wireless pad, even when not using it (I.e. connected to car-play but doing nothing). It just about keeps up when plugged in (to the usb-c port) directly, but even that struggles if I actually use it for anything via car-play. The only way it charges faster than discharges is if I use a cigarette socket to USB adapter. It can’t be a coincidence that the USB charge rate is the only significant MY23 update.
The wireless charge pad is an expensive, metaphorical, doorstop and the USB-C ports aren’t much better - In my car at least.
Whilst I can't comment on the wireless pad (I haven't yet got a smartphone and I've no idea which type is the best to get) I have used a USB stick + 'C' socket adapter and so far, touch wood, the music I've recorded from CDs continues where I've left off when turning it back on sometime later and shows the tags and artwork on the screen - seems to play a bit quieter though than the radio setting.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Whilst I can't comment on the wireless pad (I haven't yet got a smartphone and I've no idea which type is the best to get) I have used a USB stick + 'C' socket adapter and so far, touch wood, the music I've recorded from CDs continues where I've left off when turning it back on sometime later and shows the tags and artwork on the screen - seems to play a bit quieter though than the radio setting.
You’ve been lucky with the USB adapter approach. Most reports I’ve read, along with my own experience, suggest you get the best results using a native usb-c memory stick. Which is what I use for my own music collection. That way I don’t have to rely on my phone in any way. It also means our music is available for either my wife or myself regardless of who’s driving. Fortunately we share similar taste in music.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You’ve been lucky with the USB adapter approach. Most reports I’ve read, along with my own experience, suggest you get the best results using a native usb-c memory stick. Which is what I use for my own music collection. That way I don’t have to rely on my phone in any way. It also means our music is available for either my wife or myself regardless of who’s driving. Fortunately we share similar taste in music.
Yes, so I had heard - hence why I am still clutching at wood. Still, at least my head doesn't hurt now......... :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
I copied Blakey’s approach. A Brodit vent mount and a MagSafe charger connected to the USB C port. Just done around 50 miles in around 75 minutes, using Google maps and Apple music And charge has gone up 5% On a 12 Pro Max

·
Registered
298 Posts
I copied Blakey’s approach. A Brodit vent mount and a MagSafe charger connected to the USB C port. Just done around 50 miles in around 75 minutes, using Google maps and Apple music And charge has gone up 5% On a 12 Pro Max
Maybe because your using Google Maps and Apple Music is the reason for the slow charge. I use native Sat Nav as I've found it to be good enough for my needs. TBH, I haven't had any issues since the software update to 0278 with Maps. I also use Podcast app and Apple music, not at the same time, obviously. My daily commute is 13 miles and my phone has between 5 to 10% more battery when I get home. I've heard that the charging mat is next to useless so glad I didn't get one now. The MagSafe vent mount has been a revelation for me. It's USB=C input as well which may or may not make a difference. But, I'm happy. with the USB ports on my car. Oh, SWMBO also plugs her phone in when we go on long journeys and hers also charges well. Perhaps mine ia a rogue that actually performs well.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Maybe because your using Google Maps and Apple Music is the reason for the slow charge. I use native Sat Nav as I've found it to be good enough for my needs. TBH, I haven't had any issues since the software update to 0278 with Maps. I also use Podcast app and Apple music, not at the same time, obviously. My daily commute is 13 miles and my phone has between 5 to 10% more battery when I get home. I've heard that the charging mat is next to useless so glad I didn't get one now. The MagSafe vent mount has been a revelation for me. It's USB=C input as well which may or may not make a difference. But, I'm happy. with the USB ports on my car. Oh, SWMBO also plugs her phone in when we go on long journeys and hers also charges well. Perhaps mine ia a rogue that actually performs well.
I’m not complaining, I’d be content if it held level with the use I’m giving it. My MagSafe charger is also c to c to ensure as much power as possible

Reactions: Blakey

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just bought a loaded low-mileage 2021 R-Line (I get it on Tuesday) and expect no problem with the lack of real buttons and knobs. Maybe it's because my wife has a Mk8 GTI which is all touch controls and once we'd had that car for just a few days we both agreed it was absolutely fine. So the Tiguan almost seems like a slight backward step as it does still have two physical controls on the main screen. To be fair both of us tend to set tour cars how we want them (climate, temperature, radio station) so we're rarely fiddling with anything other than the navigation or maybe volume. If we do want to change anything we find that the voice control works fine for phone calls, changing the temperature etc. I think touch controls have been given a bad press as they are a significant mind set change but after living with them now for a year I like them.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I have just bought a loaded low-mileage 2021 R-Line (I get it on Tuesday) and expect no problem with the lack of real buttons and knobs. Maybe it's because my wife has a Mk8 GTI which is all touch controls and once we'd had that car for just a few days we both agreed it was absolutely fine. So the Tiguan almost seems like a slight backward step as it does still have two physical controls on the main screen. To be fair both of us tend to set tour cars how we want them (climate, temperature, radio station) so we're rarely fiddling with anything other than the navigation or maybe volume. If we do want to change anything we find that the voice control works fine for phone calls, changing the temperature etc. I think touch controls have been given a bad press as they are a significant mind set change but after living with them now for a year I like them.
Touch controls have been given more than just a "bad press" - every single online reviewer has condemned the Golf Mk8 for its lack of buttons so much so that the Mk8 has dropped significantly in the sales charts with many owners not happy with the dashboard layout. Even the slider controls on the Tiguan have had been criticised although I must admit on mine they look modern and aren't too clumsy to use - although I would still prefer knobs, dials and buttons as I could adjust those without having to take my eyes off the road and look just exactly where my outstretched finger happened to be pointing to. And I certainly would not want those haptic controls on the steering wheel which it appears can easily be touched inadvertently.

Reactions: mrew42

·
Registered
Allspace R line 245 Tsi 4motion DSG
2,403 Posts
Touch controls have been given more than just a "bad press" - every single online reviewer has condemned the Golf Mk8 for its lack of buttons so much so that the Mk8 has dropped significantly in the sales charts with many owners not happy with the dashboard layout. Even the slider controls on the Tiguan have had been criticised although I must admit on mine they look modern and aren't too clumsy to use - although I would still prefer knobs, dials and buttons as I could adjust those without having to take my eyes off the road and look just exactly where my outstretched finger happened to be pointing to. And I certainly would not want those haptic controls on the steering wheel which it appears can easily be touched inadvertently.
The only mis-press i've had so far is the heated steering wheel, that I didn't even know i was getting......
And that's purely down to the way i use the steering wheel.
The rest of it is simples, especially for a flaming berk like me

• Haha
Reactions: A1VWD

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I’ve found no issues as all with either the steering wheel touch controls or the heating controls.
Think they look much smarter too

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was unsure about the two changes mentioned. The steering wheel has turned the heating element on by itself on a couple of occasions!! Okay it was me,,,,🤫 and because it puts a message on dash easily turned off and if your passenger puts music on which requires changing, whoops --poor steering wheel is blamed again😄. Not sure I would want to go back to physical slider controls for heating. As I would miss AC set and go.

Reactions: Sparkie1984
21 - 40 of 59 Posts