Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, ahead of a second hand car purchase (approved VW so I can get PCP and warranty) I wanted to understand if I may be missing out on anything by buying an early MK2 a later one.

I already know that I want a petrol R-line auto 190 4-motion in blue or white with rear view camera and elec tailgate.

Initially I was looking at a r-line tech as it would be newer and definitely have the options I needed, however, I’ve found one that is not a tech (2017 build date) but has the options I want and is £4K lower in price.

The only difference I can see or am aware of is the radio, it’s the original discover system with physical buttons. Other posts have explained that it may be a bit slower but many people prefer physicals buttons so I’m ok with that as a trade off.

Now for my question
Is there anything else that has changed from 2017 builds to later mk2 builds that I should be aware of or anything else I need to know about the discovery system difference?

I previously owned a golf and scirocco so know first hand from those associated forums how much can change as build weeks progress hence asking this forum for advice.

Any support is greatly appreciated
All the best

·
Registered
R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG
2,248 Posts
Hi ChrisMo, welcome to the forum
I'm not entirely sure what was standard on the R-Line, but having an R Line Tech with no other options here's what I have
Sunroof
Remote boot, easy open with KESSY
Area view
Park Assist

Hope that helps

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think (and stand to be corrected here), the pre-facelift Tiguans (so late 2020/early 2021 and older) came in 2 different R-Line Versions The Standard one sold since the launch of the MK2, and the R-Line Tech which was run out model. The "Tech" actually added quite a bit of equipment as standard to make it a fully loaded model. From recollection the Tech added the following over the standard R-Line

360 deg area view camera system
Park assist
Keyless entry
Powered Tailgate
Panoramic Roof

the later facelift R-Lines (so new cars), look (in my opinion) much nicer with better alloys, more aggressive styling, but actually loses out on quite a bit of equipment that the Tech had as standard.

Reactions: leehal

·
Registered
740 Posts
What about the CD Player in the glove box with the ability to play music using SD cards?

·
Registered
740 Posts
That was standard on all pre-facelift Mk2s
Yes, that's a shame as I would have liked to have had a CD Player as well as being able to play my music from SD cards.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yes, that's a shame as I would have liked to have had a CD Player as well as being able to play my music from SD cards.
There's no SD card slot on the facelift either - it's USB-C only (if you exclude Android Auto or Apple Carplay).

·
Registered
740 Posts
There's no SD card slot on the facelift either - it's USB-C only (if you exclude Android Auto or Apple Carplay).
Does the USB-C read mp3 or wma files okay? I read on here somewhere that it can sometimes revert back to the beginning every time you switch off and back on again. That doesn't happen with SD cards in my Passat and I've got thousands of tracks (all in album folders) on just one 32GB card which I can of course copy over to a USB stick.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Does the USB-C read mp3 or wma files okay? I read on here somewhere that it can sometimes revert back to the beginning every time you switch off and back on again. That doesn't happen with SD cards in my Passat and I've got thousands of tracks (all in album folders) on just one 32GB card which I can of course copy over to a USB stick.
It reads both but can be fussy about the USB-C stick. Choose a good brand and don’t use a USB 3 stick and adapter, it doesn’t like them! Also format the stick in exFAT (rather than FAT32) as well. If you follow all that it works perfectly.

Reactions: A1VWD

·
Registered
69 Posts
Having had the 2017 R-Line and a 2019 models, I cam say the 2017 was hands down the better version. More things as standard and generally a better all round car.
Only good thing about this 2019 version is that it is the 240 BiTDi.
I ordered the eHybrid version I'm December so let's hope this one is better

·
Registered
357 Posts
It reads both but can be fussy about the USB-C stick. Choose a good brand and don’t use a USB 3 stick and adapter, it doesn’t like them! Also format the stick in exFAT (rather than FAT32) as well. If you follow all that it works perfectly.
If you also put an mp4 video on there you can watch a movie on the head unit whilst stopped.

Hi everyone, ahead of a second hand car purchase (approved VW so I can get PCP and warranty) I wanted to understand if I may be missing out on anything by buying an early MK2 a later one.

I already know that I want a petrol R-line auto 190 4-motion in blue or white with rear view camera and elec tailgate.

Initially I was looking at a r-line tech as it would be newer and definitely have the options I needed, however, I’ve found one that is not a tech (2017 build date) but has the options I want and is £4K lower in price.

The only difference I can see or am aware of is the radio, it’s the original discover system with physical buttons. Other posts have explained that it may be a bit slower but many people prefer physicals buttons so I’m ok with that as a trade off.

Now for my question
Is there anything else that has changed from 2017 builds to later mk2 builds that I should be aware of or anything else I need to know about the discovery system difference?

I previously owned a golf and scirocco so know first hand from those associated forums how much can change as build weeks progress hence asking this forum for advice.

Any support is greatly appreciated
All the best
Isnt the instrument cluster different as well?

Reactions: A1VWD

·
Registered
740 Posts
If you also put an mp4 video on there you can watch a movie on the head unit whilst stopped.
I presume then the movie won't play whilst driving - well I hope not....

·
Registered
259 Posts
To be honest whilst my current GTI Golf has an SD card inserted that contains nearly 40gb of music, I can't remember the last time I ever used it as pretty much everything I play is either radio or though AA/ACP using Spotify / Tunein Radio etc.

I too was a little concerned when I placed my order last year about the lack of a CD drive and SD card slots, but the truth is, I doubt I'll even miss them.

·
Registered
R Line Tech 2.0TDi 150 4Motion DSG
2,248 Posts
To be honest whilst my current GTI Golf has an SD card inserted that contains nearly 40gb of music, I can't remember the last time I ever used it as pretty much everything I play is either radio or though AA/ACP using Spotify / Tunein Radio etc.

I too was a little concerned when I placed my order last year about the lack of a CD drive and SD card slots, but the truth is, I doubt I'll even miss them.
Ditto, though I have the same music on a 512Gb SD as I have on my Note 10+, sometimes I can't be @rsed to plug it in

1 - 15 of 15 Posts