Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick pic after taking her on the off beaten path.

Taking it to be decomtaminated and have a ceramic coat put on next week so will post more photos after that.

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Plant

So far im over the moon with this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice picture. Interested to know your thoughts on the paint coating. Ive been offered a glass coating. Seems like a good idea not sure its worth £200.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know much about glass coatings but I'm going for for a ceramic coat which requires the car to be decontaminated and machine polished first before the coat being baked on in a infrared oven, went with it due to the large amounts of positive feedback.

Ceramic coats are supposed to last 5+ years and offer scratch protection, uv protection and make your car a lot easier to clean as dirt and dust can't bake on the same.

It's a detailers In Doncaster here's there website

http://www.cleandetail.co.uk/gyeon-mohs-quartz-ceramic

Total cost is around £500 but bear in mind my VW dealer wanted £450 to have there shop put autoglym lifeshine on (a great product I've been told, just applied usually wrong due to lack of time/training/pride)

·
Registered
169 Posts
triggerwizzard said:
I don't know much about glass coatings but I'm going for for a ceramic coat which requires the car to be decontaminated and machine polished first before the coat being baked on in a infrared oven, went with it due to the large amounts of positive feedback.

Ceramic coats are supposed to last 5+ years and offer scratch protection, uv protection and make your car a lot easier to clean as dirt and dust can't bake on the same.

It's a detailers In Doncaster here's there website

http://www.cleandetail.co.uk/gyeon-mohs-quartz-ceramic

Total cost is around £500 but bear in mind my VW dealer wanted £450 to have there shop put autoglym lifeshine on (a great product I've been told, just applied usually wrong due to lack of time/training/pride)
Ceramic coating isn't baked on in a infrared oven .
After applying it's just left for 24 hrs to cure then buffed up .
Should be able to get paintwork coated , glass done and wheels sealed for £500 ,£200 for glass alone is a ripoff .

·
Registered
169 Posts
Ok but have never heard of infra red baking before and I've had two cars done with the ceramic coating .
Both done at a reputable detailer but not been there while he has the car for 2-3 days . think it might just be placing infra red lamps around the car , not in an oven .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it's going in for 2 days, what's your impression from ceramic coats? As this is the first car I'm having done and as for the oven thing I just got told from the guy on the phone was they leave the car in over night to be infared cured/baked in what I can only imagine a "oven" of sorts but not your typical zanussi/aga type thing lol

·
Registered
169 Posts
triggerwizzard said:
Yeah it's going in for 2 days, what's your impression from ceramic coats? As this is the first car I'm having done and as for the oven thing I just got told from the guy on the phone was they leave the car in over night to be infared cured/baked in what I can only imagine a "oven" of sorts but not your typical zanussi/aga type thing lol
Ceramic coatings are the best thing for paintwork .
Had my white golf r done a couple of yrs ago and made the car so easy to keep clean ,before I sold it for the Tiguan .
You know when the front get covered in flies and bugs which normally won't come off ,we'll wash your car after has had the coating put on and it comes up like new .
The guy who bought it at almost two yrs old said it looked like a new car ,that's how good it is and it's not much more expensive than the crap that your dealer tries to sell you .
Because they don't prepare the paint properly there stuff has nothing to attach to and only lasts a few months whereas the coating lasts for yrs if you use the proper ph neutral shampoos etc when washing ,ask your detailer which he would recommend .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah that probably the main reason for me doing it, the time saved when washing. Yeah that's what the detailer told me, the stuff VW ain't bad it's just they skip necessary steps like claying out any contaminates in the paint ect.

And as the coat going on is from gyeon I will just use the full gyeon range when cleaning it in the future just to elongate the coatings life the best I can.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.