Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Marden Mitch here,

Not seen many threads here relating to MPG...

I'm looking to get me a Tiguan R-Line in the next couple of months or so. I'm not in a major rush. My only form of deadline is to sell my Touareg before it reaches 100k miles. Currently at 91k miles.

I've test driven a 150 diesel R Line and couldnt fault it. Obviously it was slower on the immediate acceleration compared to the 221bhp 3.0 diesel T'reg.
My test drive was not long enough to decifer mpg stats or perform acceleration tests (dealer wouldn't button it with sales schpiel- I just wanted ten minutes of not him talking :roll: )

I've made my mind up about spec and colour - I just can't decide on the engine; 150 or 190 tdi. maybe you can help? - I will be selecting the DSG gearbox with Leather interior (which means electric drivers seat- but not electric passenger seat :cry: )

So what I want to know is:

1. What mpg are you getting on your 150 tdi's
2. What mpg are you getting on your 190 tdi's
3. Is there a noticeable performance benifet of having the 190 over the 150? Has anyone driven both?

For what it's worth my three litre Touareg returns 27.0 mpg over 8000 miles (Long Term trip computer). A one hour trip to the airport will return 31 mpg. but around town its terrible. I'm aware any Tiguan Mk2 will be 40 at least so anything will be an improvement.

Look forward to hearing your tales

Marden Mitch :cool:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Well mine is a 150 manual diesel and at present getting an average of 44 - but I have heard tales that this will increase as the car is run in....and the engine is not as tight.
Had a 150 audi before this.....11 years old - averaged 41 so a bit of an improvement on that....
I only do shortish runs to work - 15 miles or so so cannot really comment on longer runs.
What I have noticed though is if the car is left switched on an idling it starts to drop away......and it being a new car and me farting about with all the gizmos inside with the engine running it drooped to about 34 tonight on the drive.....

What I will say is don't believe the VW figures......as a rough guide knock 10 mpg from them and you will get somewhere near....

·
Registered
23 Posts
FWIW, my 150PS manual has averaged 53mpg over the 3000 miles since new.
This is a couple of mpg less than shown on the car display.
Much of this has been long during motorway runs.
Of course, ambient temperature, traffic conditions, sustained top speed etc all influence the result.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a 150 4 Motion automatic and have done about 2300 miles

Im getting actual average across 6 fill-ups between 41-43mpg
On longer runs i can well exceed 50, and record i think is 56 on a run of just over 100miles

Round town im seeing 25-35mpg, depending on traffic - but the typical average across a tank with a mix of both long runs and short runs is 41-43

Agree with Rob - we borrowed the exact model we purchased for 1/2 day and racked up around 100 miles to test the MPG out as well as ride etc.

Hope that helps :)

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Well lads, only had her just over 3wks now 300+ miles on the clock......Avg mpg on the dash mixed driving and still keeping below 3000 rpm running it in
190 ps 41-43 mpg .....very happy. I'm sure that will improve over time :D :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Evening all,

many thanks for all the replies, what a great community this is. interesting to hear the similarities between the various figures of the 150's, and a not unreasonable figure for the 190. An extended test drive should be on the cards. Also reading your comments is a reminder you need to run new engines in!

cheers

Mitch

Also I've been watching those youtube videos from that German bloke reviewing Tiguan's; crikey, very detailed but he's doing me nut in with his over-explaination of every detail! - "Autogehful - "wiz Thomas" great hi def video though.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm getting 42/43 mpg in my SEL 190 TDI on short runs and 47/48 mpg on long runs. Much better than my Audi A4 Allroad TDI 190 and its noticeably faster too. Really glad that I went for the 190 noticeably faster and a lot more torque than the 150 I test drove. overtaking is a breeze.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi Guys.

A lot has been asked and said about the two different engine sizes and performace and I for one, pondered over the two engine sizes at the time of ordering. In the end i could not justify the extra price difference required at the time.

With this in mind I would be interested if anyone has done in the past, or considered, re-mapping.

[1] What cost?
[2] Does it effect the vehicle warranty?
[3] Presume ones insurance company must be informed !
[4] Does it indeed increase both performance and economy [ as stated on various websites]

·
Registered
610 Posts
Did this with my Saab diesel this gave me a 40 bhp increase, this was an eco tune rather than out right power. Car pulled better and gave me a couple of miles a gallon extra, the mane reason for me was to have smoother pulling engine. Cost vary mine was£250+ vat, insurance need to be informed depending on what you have done will depend how much in any thing they will charge extra. I wouldn't do it until my warranty was finished.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all,

Can anyone provide some insight on the acceleration performance between the 150 and 190? It is noticeably more responsive on the the overtake for example, or it just a minor increment in performance? Ready to pull the trigger on a new SEL, I just can't decide if the extra cost of the 190 is worth it. I test drove a 150 and although it was fine, it did feel a bit 'flat' pulling away when I hit some dual carriageway. Not sure if its just in my head though, or would bug me if I didn't go for the 190.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you are coming out of a 3.0 Tourareg I'd say definitely go for the 190ps. I had the same decision as you to make. I've only driven the 150ps and found it a bit slow on acceleration uphill. The wife was happy with the 150ps. I scarfised getting leather to get the 190ps. I am hoping the 190ps is noticeably quicker. I am will be coming out of an A5 170bhp so I did not want to go down in power. The 150ps would be a big drop in power for you compared to the Tourareg.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ed1 said:
If you are coming out of a 3.0 Tourareg I'd say definitely go for the 190ps. I had the same decision as you to make. I've only driven the 150ps and found it a bit slow on acceleration uphill. The wife was happy with the 150ps. I scarfised getting leather to get the 190ps. I am hoping the 190ps is noticeably quicker. I am will be coming out of an A5 170bhp so I did not want to go down in power. The 150ps would be a big drop in power for you compared to the Tourareg.
I dare not say what I'm currently pottering about it, it doesn't even compare. However my fiance drives a 2016 1.6 TDI Golf and the 150 Tig felt under-powered compared to the Golf during acceleration. Hoping the 190 will plug the gap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a, manual, 150 R Line. Currently have driven 1700 miles since new and the computer in the car shows 55.6 mpg. This is a combination of both short and longer journeys.
My previous vehicle was a1500cc 110bhp Nissan Qashqai which I had for 2 years and although I did on one occasion reach 82.7 mpg on a journey, overall during my ownership only averaged 59 mpg.
Was expecting a lot less mpg from my Tiguan, so quite impressed.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I went for the 190, 4Matic and 20" wheels just to ensure low mileage.
I get about 35 round town, 45 on motorway runs and it seems to average 40ish.
This is with an engine under 2K miles so I don't think its bad.

I terms of 150 vs 190 I've only tested the 150 but the 190 is almost as fast as my old C class 250 CDI and pulls well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts