Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those looking for the above, I have just purchased a pair of Pirelli Scorpions to replace a pair of Contis which were nearly down to the wear limit at 10400 miles

Had the fitted at my local Protyre garage for £286

Bit of a deal with them at the mo - voucher code online MACATYRE15 for 15 quid off a pair and Love2Shop vouchers up to £60 off depending on size and quantity

In my case £30 so I can get some treats somewhere :D

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Just wanted to add that my 1st service @ 6,500 miles my factory fitted Pirelli Scorpions have 6.8mm on the front and 7.8mm on the rears. Definitely better wear than the Contis

·
Super Moderator
3,018 Posts
Which model of Pirelli Scorpions did you have fitted can I ask.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JK-VWTiguanR said:
JK-VWTiguanR
PIRELLI Scorpion Verde Seal (currently £150.89) although there is another PIRELLI Powergy @ £172.58

·
Super Moderator
3,018 Posts
thejanners said:
JK-VWTiguanR said:
JK-VWTiguanR
PIRELLI Scorpion Verde Seal (currently £150.89) although there is another PIRELLI Powergy @ £172.58
Thank you.

These are the ones I was seeing at 50 pounds a tyre less then the Contis I have fitted.

·
Registered
583 Posts
thejanners said:
For those looking for the above, I have just purchased a pair of Pirelli Scorpions to replace a pair of Contis which were nearly down to the wear limit at 10400 miles

Had the fitted at my local Protyre garage for £286 mine still have 4.5 front 6mm on the rear after 24000 :)

Bit of a deal with them at the mo - voucher code online MACATYRE15 for 15 quid off a pair and Love2Shop vouchers up to £60 off depending on size and quantity

In my case £30 so I can get some treats somewhere :D

·
Registered
731 Posts
Keen to hear if anyone has any all season tyre recommendations for this R-Line size? From what I understand, Michelin CrossClimates dont seem to be available in the 255/40R20 sizing... 255/45/R20 is available but that changes the diameter by more than the 3% threshold....

Looks like an entire separate set of rims if you want to have snow shoes on an Rline, is that right ? What have others done? Not sure if I can justify that for a trip to the ski fields once in a blue moon...

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Tammma said:
Keen to hear if anyone has any all season tyre recommendations for this R-Line size? From what I understand, Michelin CrossClimates dont seem to be available in the 255/40R20 sizing... 255/45/R20 is available but that changes the diameter by more than the 3% threshold....

Looks like an entire separate set of rims if you want to have snow shoes on an Rline, is that right ? What have others done? Not sure if I can justify that for a trip to the ski fields once in a blue moon...
Could be cheaper to get a set wheels on ebay with tyres. possibly easier to sell later on too.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402961785755

Or even cheaper if you don't mind 16" rims on the R line....... :roll:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154185508487

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'm not sure about R lines (mine is not that version), but for my Tiguan it was as cheap to get a new set of smaller alloy rims fitted with winter-oriented all-season tyres, compared to trying to get all-seasons to fit the larger standard rims (of which there was a much smaller choice, and at a far higher price). I got them a few years ago online from "Mr Winter Wheels" when there was an early winter discount, and swap the wheels over myself (takes about 40 mins total) late autumn/early spring.
There's a good review of the latest winter and all-season tyres here:
What I like about this review is that he differentiates between all-season tyres for very snowy countries versus all-season tyres for places where it is mostly cold and wet, with just occasional snow (like the UK).

·
Registered
55 Posts
Tammma said:

Ive been considering this for months and have spent ages looking around for all season for the 20-inch rims. Michelin all-season appears to come out well in reviews but are the most expensive. Asda Tyres are doing them for £269.48 each. Pirelli P7 Cinturato all season are £257.65 on blackcircles. Cheapest I found are Vredestein Quatrac Pro around £180 each from memory on Oponeo but are out of stock.

I used to have separate winter wheels and tyres and swap them over. However, storing, changing them twice a year and arguing with my insurance company mean i won't go down that route again.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Thanks guys...getting an entire new set of rims seems overkill for the once or twice a year I *may* need snow tyres.

Really not sure what to do here...flying in and hiring a car with the appropriate tyres attached might be the better alternative instead...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've had an interesting chat with the manager at Costco tyres. He said that the Michelin all season are made for Porsche so despite been 255 40 20 they won't fit them to a Tiguan!!! I then phoned my VW dealer who said that won't be an issue? This is a pain!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Tammma said:
Thanks guys...getting an entire new set of rims seems overkill for the once or twice a year I *may* need snow tyres.

Really not sure what to do here...flying in and hiring a car with the appropriate tyres attached might be the better alternative instead...
Summer tyres are far less effective in the winter, even when there's no snow on the ground. If you look at the section of the video I posted, you'll see the difference that all-weather tyres provide even when it's just cold and wet - he even differentiates between all-weather tyres which are more appropriate to the UK winter vs ones which will be better suited to people living in the Alps. If you swap summer tyres and all-weather tyres, then over a number of years the cost of 2 sets will even-out (both sets will last longer, as you share their use), and you are far less likely to have an accident. Finally, if you look around and get a good deal, the added cost of the new rims allows you to get far cheaper winter tyres (in my case, the smaller rims / bigger tyres similar or only slight more expensive compared to all-season tyres to fit the larger VW rims, and also offered far more choice). I then also save having to take the car to a fitter to change the tyres over each autumn/spring. I do a fair bit of mileage, and live in the country, so for me its a no brainer to get all-seasons on their own rims - and not just from the cost, but also for the safety. I had a friend following me a few years ago, driving exactly the same speed: I went around the corner on my all-seasons without even noticing the black ice, he and his summer tyres ended up on his side in the ditch with a badly smashed car.

·
Registered
731 Posts
archie159 said:
Tammma said:

Summer tyres are far less effective in the winter, even when there's no snow on the ground. If you look at the section of the video I posted, you'll see the difference that all-weather tyres provide even when it's just cold and wet - he even differentiates between all-weather tyres which are more appropriate to the UK winter vs ones which will be better suited to people living in the Alps. If you swap summer tyres and all-weather tyres, then over a number of years the cost of 2 sets will even-out (both sets will last longer, as you share their use), and you are far less likely to have an accident. Finally, if you look around and get a good deal, the added cost of the new rims allows you to get far cheaper winter tyres (in my case, the smaller rims / bigger tyres similar or only slight more expensive compared to all-season tyres to fit the larger VW rims, and also offered far more choice). I then also save having to take the car to a fitter to change the tyres over each autumn/spring. I do a fair bit of mileage, and live in the country, so for me its a no brainer to get all-seasons on their own rims - and not just from the cost, but also for the safety. I had a friend following me a few years ago, driving exactly the same speed: I went around the corner on my all-seasons without even noticing the black ice, he and his summer tyres ended up on his side in the ditch with a badly smashed car.
Archie, preaching to the choir. But in London winter tyres are a bit of a waste.

The snow tyres would be for the occasional trip to the continent and the snow fields. With that in mind a set of smaller rims just sitting around isn't justified hence looking for crossclimate allseasons. But even then the sizing doesn't work it seems.

So the easy answer is just take a hire car down it seems.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Remember winter tyres are not just for snow . They provide superior grip in all conditions under 7 degrees.
I used to run them for four or five months at a time on my mercs when I had them. You could pick up a set of rims the correct size for winter fitment tyres quiet easily on eBay and when you sell the car sell the rims/tyres for good money.
A point worth noting is that Mercedes give a recommended winter wheel/tyre size which is a smaller rim with higher side wall tyre. Also makes for a smoother ride.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Meant to say as I don't have a Tiguan yet I don't know if vw give winter tyre recommendations.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Andy.M said:
Remember winter tyres are not just for snow . They provide superior grip in all conditions under 7 degrees.
I used to run them for four or five months at a time on my mercs when I had them. You could pick up a set of rims the correct size for winter fitment tyres quiet easily on eBay and when you sell the car sell the rims/tyres for good money.
A point worth noting is that Mercedes give a recommended winter wheel/tyre size which is a smaller rim with higher side wall tyre. Also makes for a smoother ride.
Whilst I don't disagree with you on the 7degrees rule, if it were totally not fit for purpose or deemed unsafe, summer tyres should never come stock with these Tiguans. Or at least they should have chosen a rim width/profile that allows for more winter/all season choices that means you dont have to store a second set of tyres/rims.

In London, there are 6 months of the year where average low's are 7degrees or below, so arguably cross climate/all seasons should almost come stock. The further north you go, I presume this becomes even more necessary.

Not everyone has the storage space to leave 4x tyres/rims lying around at any given point.

·
Registered
86 Posts
AnastieByte said:
I used to have separate winter wheels and tyres and swap them over. However, storing, changing them twice a year and arguing with my insurance company mean i won't go down that route again.
Out of curiosity, why did you have to argue with your insurance company? As long as you use wheel/tyre size combinations approved by VW, surely you don't even need to tell them? You aren't modifying the car from one of the standard configurations, and I don't ever remember being asked by the insurers what size wheels my car had.

·
Registered
55 Posts
archie159 said:
AnastieByte said:
Out of curiosity, why did you have to argue with your insurance company? As long as you use wheel/tyre size combinations approved by VW, surely you don't even need to tell them? You aren't modifying the car from one of the standard configurations, and I don't ever remember being asked by the insurers what size wheels my car had.
When I took out my insurance i would mention that come winter I swap summer wheels and tyres for winter ones following the manufacturer recommended size. Two insurance companies refused to cover.

·
Registered
135 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts