Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Have a dsg 4 motion se nav. Done 800 miles to date and noticed a rear 'burning' smell today. Seems to be coming from both the rear wheel wells. Smell a little bit like burning runner, plastic and breaks all rolled into one. Felt the rear break discs and there not hot, so wondering if its exhaust/4 wheel drive related.

·
Registered
66 Posts
ian2087 said:
Hi all,
Have a dsg 4 motion se nav. Done 800 miles to date and noticed a rear 'burning' smell today. Seems to be coming from both the rear wheel wells. Smell a little bit like burning runner, plastic and breaks all rolled into one. Felt the rear break discs and there not hot, so wondering if its exhaust/4 wheel drive related.
Is your car a diesel? if so it could be a re-gen, this can create a burning smell as you describe.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, thanks. Just been doing some googling as noticed the engine fan has also been running after the engine has been turned off. Turns out it could be passive dpf regeneration, which would also explain the smell. Not lights on the dash to show its regenerating. Anyone else noticed this agree with the diagnosis?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Not really noticed a burning smell, but just a bit of newness smell coming out of the rear pipes. What I have noticed the heat which emits from the back pipes when loading the boot...

·
Registered
182 Posts
ian2087 said:
Ok, thanks. Just been doing some googling as noticed the engine fan has also been running after the engine has been turned off. Turns out it could be passive dpf regeneration, which would also explain the smell. Not lights on the dash to show its regenerating. Anyone else noticed this agree with the diagnosis?
Yes it's the Re gen...agree

·
Registered
52 Posts
Now I know too. Smelt like brakes to me and I convinced myself someone had a fireplace going. The fan run on and the smell makes sense now though an information light woul have been great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts