Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So yesterday I had to put down the load through section (offside part) to secure a new gizmo I've got to put the dog into. As I was lowering the seat back I gently took hold off the headrest (as I'm sure most would do) to help lower the seat back. All of a sudden 'snap' and there I was holding the headrest in my hands. Basically the headrest is fitted on to the stalks that insert into the seat back by a really flimsy plastic frame so to speak. When I looked closely the plastic frame is made out of appalling quality plastic and the unit has simply snapped in half.

Now if I'd applied any kind of force then I'd openly admit that but I used so little force (as there isn't any need to apply pressure).

Now I'm sure others will agree, there is cost cutting and there's downright ridiculous cost cutting which I would suspect on this occasion. Perhaps VW will argue the headrest unit is designed to snap in a collision (yeah whatever) but I think this is generally very poor quality components.

Beware forum members that you don't end up doing the same!

Huddersfield VW will be getting both barrels tomorrow morning and will be ordering me another pronto.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Interesting - I've never even looked at the rear headrests.

I will now though. Please let us know what they say.

·
Registered
555 Posts
That's disappointing. No way they could say they are designed to snap in a collision as they are supposed to be designed to restrain the head movement in an accident. More concerning is that they could snap in an accident

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Just looked at mine. I have the leather upholstery and the base of the head rest is covered in material and appears solid. Was the plastic moulding exposed on yours?

·
Registered
835 Posts
If they are all plastic (rear) that is really bad on VW, cost cutting.
Again, I wonder if its the same on the Ateca.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
niggly58 said:
Just looked at mine. I have the leather upholstery and the base of the head rest is covered in material and appears solid. Was the plastic moulding exposed on yours?
Hi niggly58, in answer to your question mine too were covered with material at the base like yours until the whole unit broke and now the innards (foam and plastic frame) are now exposed. REALLY disappointed with the quality of these components-extremely cheaply manufactured and I would wholly expect yours will be the exactly the same underneath the leather.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Negativepitch said:
If they are all plastic (rear) that is really bad on VW, cost cutting.
Again, I wonder if its the same on the Ateca.
I'd expect they will be the same on the Ateca Negativepitch, I'm utterly disappointed with the quality of these and if I'm honest somewhat shocked that VW have the cheek to put these in their vehicles.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hartside said:
That's disappointing. No way they could say they are designed to snap in a collision as they are supposed to be designed to restrain the head movement in an accident. More concerning is that they could snap in an accident
My thoughts exactly Hartside !

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 349

Picture of the underside of the headrest-as you can see the plastic has completely snapped. The dealership has ordered another one today-no arguing-to be fair I was geared up for getting fobbed off but nothing of the sort...should have replacement from the factory within the week.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Looking at your pictures Jrstigsel, it appears not to be the main structure that has snapped but a reinforcing web for the front section. Poor design/cost cutting I would guess.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think this par for the course when buying a brand new model of any car. There are bound to be quality issues. I have always bought facelift (LCI as BMW calls it) models for just that reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts