Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Virtually replaced all of my interior bulbs with LED's, even fitting an extra light in the boot, but for the life in me I cannot see how to gain access to the rear passenger compartment ones. I have been able to remove the clear cover that goes over the bulbs, but the bulbs look to be wedge type but won't pull out :( . Towards the rear of the fitting their is a black clip that looks as though it might play a part in assisting access to the bulbs, but no matter which way I move it, I have had no luck in gaining access to the bulb holders.
Has anyone done this change to LED's and if so, please could you let me know where I'm going wrong.
Thank you
DaveL62

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Smoggy
I purchased the bulbs for my Mk1 Tiguan and have transferred them to my new one. They are SMD W5W Canbus LED bulbs. I purchased these from a company called Alltronix in Worksop - a very helpful company - www.alltronix.co.uk or email [email protected]. - Tel 01909 484346
Since posting earlier, I have managed to fit the LED's in the rear. They are a tight fit in the holders but by waggling the bulbs from side to side and teasing it out mission was accomplished. The front ones are in bulb holders. All now LED in interior.
Regards
DavidL62

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you got before / after pictures?
I have thought interior lighting is led anyway apart from boot and glove box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi grabson79
I am really sorry for the long delay in replying to you.
When I got my Tiguan SE Nav, the only interior bulbs that were LED were the footwell and sunvisor bulbs.
The front and rear passenger compartment bulbs are I believe Philips White Vision 'Intense white xenon effect' (xenon effect says it all) 501 W5W bulbs as I had these in the sidelights on my Mk1 Tiggy.
The glovebox is a festoon T10 x 31 mm bulb, and the boot is also a festoon and is around 41/42 mm in length.
Somewhere on the forum, each bulb size is in detail and on ebay etc some companies sell interior light LED kits but from my experience, cheapest is definitely not always best
Sorry I have no pictures, but believe me, now that the nights are drawing in (oh no), when the interior illuminates with the LED's, in my opinion it looks far better and definitely worthwhile.
At times it can be fiddly as you may have to slightly tweak the terminals for the festoon bulbs to ensure a good fit, and yes you might curse occasionally, but you won't regret it. Patience is a virtue :)
A couple of bits of advice that I may pass on. If you go ahead I would invest in some trim removal tools for a couple of pounds on ebay etc so that you don't damage any of the fittings ( don't ask who found out the hard way :) ) and when ordering the W5W LED replacements, go for cool running ones as the kit I originally got from China, the bulbs were like little blow lamps and in my Mk1, once when the interior lights had been on for some time, they actually melted the solder in them and dropped out in to the bulb holder.
Regards
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts