Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,584 Posts
Well I've just used this VW website to check for any safety recall and it's come up clear. Just input your VIN no.
There again we all know how accurate VW websites are.........don't we! ;)

http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/recallsSubmit

Steve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had already checked this and it said the same -clear, but my vin is definitely listed in the article. I might send an email off to vw customer services.

·
Registered
207 Posts
In my limited experience I wouldn't trust the VW website for safety recalls.
I checked on numerous occasions, the site saying there were no recalls but then received the notice over the seat frame issues.
Complained to VW about lack of accuracy of recall information and they replied that my car was not subject to the emissions issue???
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
328 Posts
Even this DVSA page seems to infer my yet to be delivered and built only a few weeks ago Tiggy is included. However, the build start and end dates don't tally with the build of my car...

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,584 Posts
I think I need to have a chat with my dealer now as my VIN no. is in the list and also conforms to the indicated build dates. :roll:

Steve

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just called a dealer and they checked on the VW computer system and there are no recalls for my vehicle, although it is within the VIN code parameters on the DVSA recalls webpage. The build dates are before my car was built, very odd/worryingly that he didn't know of any recalls for airbags.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,584 Posts
Had my official VW recall notice come today for this recall-
Safety Recall: 69P4 - Igniter for airbag and seat belt with belt tensioner
"On some vehicles Vokswagen AG has established deviations in the mixture ratio of the igniting material that can prevent the airbag or the belt tensioner from deploying in the event of an accident. There is an increased risk of injury.

They're saying that depending on the work scope, the measure will take between 30 minutes and 3 hours, so I'll be contacting my dealer on Monday morning.
Fingers crossed 🤞

Steve

·
Registered
111 Posts
I did start another thread as didn't realise but had my notice this morning for the airbag recall. Been to the dealers and its going in on Tuesday. They are saying it's to do with the passenger airbag(s) and should take about an hour and half. I shall see how we get on.

·
Registered
239 Posts
As my chassis number was listed on the DVSA list I wrote to VW Germany direct to ask if my car was required for the 2 recalls as I had received no notification. 5 days later I have received a personal reply reassuring me my chassis number did not require a recall. The letter went on to inform me that as I was registered on Mein Auto (my car) on the VW website as long as my contact details were up to date I would recieve a personal leter informing me of any recalls and updates specific to my car. Pleased with that and I hope this is the same for all other owners.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spoke to VW customer services last week, they told me the list of VINs was only a list of possibly affected cars. They checked with their "technical team" and assured me mine wasn't part of the recall.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,584 Posts
Presently sitting in the dealers reception waiting for my recall work to be completed, was told around a couple of hours work.
I'll update when it's done.

Steve

·
Registered
214 Posts
Hopefully all goes well. Mine goes in tomorrow. 2nd recall in a month. I had the seat back frame replacement and now the passenger side airbag. On the plus side if this keeps up I'll have a new car, one part at a time.
:roll:

I was told that on the Tiguan it's the passenger side (uk) airbag that needs replacing for the affected vehicles. Dealer wasn't totally sure as the recall note also covered the golf r, and it stated airbag (driver and passenger side) and seat belt pre tensioner replacements. Although the dealer said that on the Tiguan its the passenger airbag that needs replacing due to incorrect propellant mixture resulting in none firing airbag in accidents.

If you could let me know exactly what they did in your instance essjay it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Axel

·
Registered
86 Posts
My dealer is telling me it's the belt pretension that could be the issue ???

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,584 Posts
Hi Axel, it took about two and a half hours to complete. They said they had replaced the igniters on both front airbags, and replaced the seat belt tensioners.
They obviously had to disconnect the battery, however I didn't lose any settings thankfully, and all my personal settings were still there from the key.

Oh! and they valetted the car as well. :p

Quite painless really ;)

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Essjay said:
Hi Axel, it took about two and a half hours to complete. They said they had replaced the igniters on both front airbags, and replaced the seat belt tensioners.
They obviously had to disconnect the battery, however I didn't lose any settings thankfully, and all my personal settings were still there from the key.

Oh! and they valetted the car as well. :p

Quite painless really ;)

Steve
Good news Steve....... :) :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just received my car back and I had both seat belt pretensioners replaced, but not the passenger or driver airbag.

Apparently each car is unique and they know exactly which components need replacing by referencing the chassis. The problematic airbag igniters and pre tensioners are apparently manufactured by autoliv. For my car it was just the seat belt pretensioners that had autoliv components. The recall involved stripping the b pillars of the trim, removing the seat belts and tensioners, replacing with new pre tensioner detonators and then rebuilding everything. The car also then needs to be recoded to reflect the swapped components.

Unfortunately mine wasn't recorded when I got in to drive away, and so you get a warning on the dash and in the head unit which says: passenger occupant protection disabled. I was a bit miffed and went straight back and they took the car straight into the workshop and recoded it. That sorted the problem, so all seems well. The technician said that the need to recode is new to them, as historically a pretensioner swap is just straightforward, but the Tiguan, and I assume all of the new generation of MQB cars, have far more sophisticated electronics now. So make sure you don't have any errors showing in the dash or in the vehicle status on the head unit before you drive away if you have this work done.

Regards
Axel

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine went in about 3 weeks ago and ended up just having the pre-tensioner replaced. I have previously had issues with a rattle coming from inside the steering wheel, another member said it may be the airbag as this was issue with the golf. The noise stopped and has recently come back. Gone in today, 4th trip to the dealers since October, and the service staff are already hinting at drivers airbag as they are aware of recall relating to the Golf. I wonder if there is potential for another recall in regards the drivers airbag for the Tiguan. Anyone else had this, its like a tapping/rattling noise from inside the steering wheel around the horn push over poor surfaces and dose'nt stop if you try to hold or bang any part of the steering wheel. I'll shall update on the result when I get it back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi,

Just had my 2nd recall letter too. Contacted the local VW dealer and was told they can't take the Tig in until the 20 June !

This is my first VW and I really like the car but I'm not too impressed with 2 separate safety recalls within 6 months

Ho hum - oh yes and while I'm at it, Car-net is a complete nonsense.

Bob

·
Registered
207 Posts
Had my recall notice dated 20th April, booked car in for 18th may. Just had dealer on the phone explaining that parts are on back order, appointment therefore cancelled.
Apparently VW have not learnt by their past mistakes. So I have to continue to drive a car which is apparently unsafe in the event of an accident. This is not the way to maintain customer loyalty. 2 recalls in six months, parts not available for 2nd recall and previous emissions scandle. You start to wonder if you have made the right purchase.
Roy

1 - 20 of 20 Posts