Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

After I got my Tiguan 6 months ago I tried the rest button and I was not impressed with the heat that came out.

I decided to investigate it a bit further today once the wife got home with the car. The car was running for a bit and the engine was up to temperature (90 degrees).I turned the heaters up to hi and checked the temperature coming out of the air vent over the radio and it was 45 degree Celsius and rising. (Left the heater on HI for approximately 1 minute)
I switched off the engine and pressed the rest button with the heater still on HI. I left my thermometer in the vent and within 8 mins the temperature coming out was 23 degrees, the ambient temperature. I started the engine for one minute and had hot air coming out again.

This is exactly what happened 6 months ago in colder weather.

Does the heating system have an electric pump which runs when the rest bottom is pressed?
Or is it a gimmick that dissipates the heat from the coolant sitting in the heater matrix? (which is not a lot)

I know it's summer but has one tested/used the Rest button?

If anyone has any info on how the Rest button works it would be appreciated, as I plan on booking the car into the dealers to look at another problem and I would like to
get this looked at too if required.

Ed.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Not sure what a rest button is ??

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rockman2 said:
Not sure what a rest button is ??
It a Residual heating function. Basically you press the Rest button before locking your car and it keeps the car warm for 30 mins.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think the cooling system has a small electric circulation pump that runs instead of Main water pump, no additional heating will happen, it just uses what residual heat is left in the cooling system.

Details from the Manual:

REST - Residual heat
Use the button to switch the residual heat function of Climatronic on and off.
If the ignition is switched off and the engine is warm, the residual heat from the engine is used to continue to heat the vehicle interior. The function switches off after 30 minutes and in case of low battery.

·
Registered
158 Posts
OK don't have a rest button on mine! Don't have climatronic on mine!

G

·
My dealer told me it is only fitted in colder countries to keep car warm using residual engine heat, perhaps while you shop. Button still there though!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I used it all winter. Handy feature I thought but after approx 20 mins there was a notable drop in heat. Great for popping into the shops though

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spoke to one of the technical Technicians at the Dealership where I purshased the car. He said nobody has asked any questions about the Rest button before. He said it's a new feature and said it works using an electric pump. It not something he has worked on before.

I don't believe the pump is working in my car. I booked the car in for investigation.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
Ed, I have the 'Rest' button on my car which is almost a year old...........new feature?

Steve

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Essjay said:
Ed, I have the 'Rest' button on my car which is almost a year old...........new feature?

Steve
That's was the Technician said. He basically said he was never asked about it before as he has never had a problem with the operation of it before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have any updates re this? My 'Rest' button seems to put out warmish air from the vents for about 10 seconds with the fan continuing to run at a very low speed (first 2 LEDs lit on the dial). As usual the dealership people are useless with regard to these useful features which rather spoils the overall ownership experience! (cf. my issues re 'convenience closing of the sunroof') - "Nah never heard of that squire" was, to paraphrase, the typical response I got on at least 3 occasions :?

·
Registered
2018 MY SEL 150 TDI DSG 2Motion in Caribbean Blue with rear camera, park assist & fully debadged
2,565 Posts
I have never tried mine since the warmer weather arrived, but last winter I found it worked very well. Maybe it feels much more efficient when its colder outside, and you don't really get the benefit with the current warmer weather.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just noticed this on mine today, ran the car for about 15mins driving. Stopped , put rest on an within 5mins it was blowing cold air.

Any updates from anyone? thanks

·
Registered
911 Posts
pr1970 said:
Just noticed this on mine today, ran the car for about 15mins driving. Stopped , put rest on an within 5mins it was blowing cold air.

Any updates from anyone? thanks
I think I remember reading that it's battery condition reliant. Your battery ok? Also your car wont be up to full temperature in 15 mins will it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts