Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would be grateful if someone with the panoramic sunroof can tell me how far the wind deflector rises above the roof and also whether the retracted sunroof is located above or below the roofline.

I do a lot of kayaking and paddleboarding and will therefore need roof bars as soon as I take delivery of my car in May. The problem is, that I own several Thule products all with the same lock (so I only need one key). The Thule bars that I am considering buying sit very close to the roof compared to the VW bars, a concern for me given that I have ordered the panoramic sunroof.

Many thanks for your help.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Roof goes up and back. The roof is higher that the back end of the bars. The wind deflector rises about 7cm above the roof line. I think you have valid reason for concern

·
Registered
161 Posts
As you can see the original VW roof bars are quite high off the roof, but it does allow clearance of the sunroof. Pictures show sunroof glass to be level with the top of rails. So if carrying anything with a convex shape would scratch the glass.
I guess Thule ones are better aerodynamically, so if you can get away with the oval shaped bars that they supply, they would be better for 'wind noise'.

The fabric wind screen does come up quite a way, so anything long carried on the roof rack would perhaps foul it.

Mine are fine, but they are quite noisy beyond 60 mph. I have moved them a few times along the rails to find the best place for resonance when roof fully open. A try it and see approach, but I leave them on all the time.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for posting photos. I had not thought about roof bars with panoramic sunroof. I will probably invest in VW bars which sit higher when carrying windsurfers. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have seen better ones from Thule, they don't sit quite as high and the bars are a better shape aerodynamically.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Watching this thread with interest. Given that the Tiggy has significantly less boot space than our outgoing people carrier and we have two dogs that are on the large size a roof box is going to be essential for going away with my buddies. Wife would prefer them in kennels TBH but I disagree being outnumbered in the gender stakes 3 to one I need my boys with me for the sake of sanity and an excuse for a walk to the pub...

VW roof bars look OK but on the high side. Those Thule bars look great and more aerodynami, if they work OK with a box then the expense would be worth it IMHO.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Isn't it a bit harsh putting your wife and daughters in a roof box just to get dogs in to go away. Lol.

·
Registered
161 Posts
:D best place for them.

I've just been using the roof rack for carrying boarding/ladders/beds/general rubbish etc.. and must say getting everything up to that height needs quite an effort. So thinking ahead, if wanting a roof box, height above ground is important. I'm having to stand on the open door sills to reach tying knots etc. and aware I might be scratching the sills paintwork. Was so used to the lower Audi a4 avant, it really wasn't a problem. Chas , just be aware of that when lifting the wife into the box and having to shut the lid ;) it wont be that easy. Lower the better.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Bhuna said:
Isn't it a bit harsh putting your wife and daughters in a roof box just to get dogs in to go away. Lol.
LOL :lol:

Now there's an idea. The thing is if you leave the dogs in the car (with ventilation obviously) they're over the moon to see you when you get back. Don't think I'd somehow get the same reaction from SWMBO and the bratlets at the end of a journey...

Dropped into my local VW showroom this morning and had a look at the VW roof bars which were conveniently mounted on a Tiguan along with the 340ltr box. Bars look better in the flesh and quite aerodynamic. Asked if they were interested in doing a bundle deal, parts manager will ring me on Tuesday with a price for bars, box and sill guards.

340ltr box had three options, plain black (which is what they had on display), painted gloss black or painted tungsten silver. The painted options were £200 extra :eek: Plain one, which looks perfect to me, is £225 and looks like it connects neatly with the bars. Box does cover the GPS antenna a bit so not sure if it impairs reception at all.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chas you'll need a good size ditch to get a 340ltr box into! I'll let you explain :eek:
I see your all calling them roof bars I thought the were bird perches as the local robin sits on mine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts