Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a roof rack, soon.
As I've said before, this is a 3 yr lease car, and so I want to spend as little as possible on accessories!
My car is due delivery a week Monday.
My "local" VW dealer is at least an hours round trip away from home.

So - Has anyone seen the Chinese copies of Thule racks on ebay and amazon, they seem to get reasonable reviews? The "Maypole" brand should be ok?. We're talking £35 v £175!
Q.
1. Anyone tried one? I have a medium size roof box, for occasional long distance runs. I also often carry 2 kayaks, but not generally very far.
2. HELP PLEASE: Could someone please measure the gap between the roof rails and the roof itself, in order that I can find out from supplier if their rack will fit Tig roof bars on the car.

I may then be able to have a rack here ready for when the car arrives.

Many thanks!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Grey Eddy..... 1/2 inch I measured it to...near dam it anyway ;) hope this helps :) .......And No, i did not get the step ladders out GTD184 :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
31 Posts
For years on various cars I have used just two bars and two straps. The bars were originally from Thule but discarded the fittings 20 years ago.
If you lay the bars on the rails then run a strap under the rail towards you fitting it, go over the bar and back under the rail across to the other side where you do the same and then join the straps and tighten. Do the same on the other one and two easy cheap bars. I have nearly solid foam pads taped to the bars on each corner to protect. The only thing may happen is strap vibration as you drive but if you twist the strap as you cross the car that stops it. Over the years this has carried heavy plywood, windsurfers, canoes etc. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Eddy,
Maybe an used ones from eBay?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Eddy
I have a pair of universal alloy bars with built in clamps which I kept from previous mk1 Tiguan.
The clamp system fits the roof rails fine. Plenty of clearance.
The issue I encountered is that the roof rails are mark for positioning of the bars but the width at the front position is just to great for these bars.
So beware regarding length of bars.
If it would help I will photo clamp and post and will measure width.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
stumpy said:
Grey Eddy..... 1/2 inch I measured it to...near dam it anyway ;) hope this helps :) .......And No, i did not get the step ladders out GTD184 :roll: :lol:
Many thanks stumpy. The gap does appear quite tight in the picturew I've been viewing

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
chrisw said:
For years on various cars I have used just two bars and two straps. The bars were originally from Thule but discarded the fittings 20 years ago.
If you lay the bars on the rails then run a strap under the rail towards you fitting it, go over the bar and back under the rail across to the other side where you do the same and then join the straps and tighten. Do the same on the other one and two easy cheap bars. I have nearly solid foam pads taped to the bars on each corner to protect. The only thing may happen is strap vibration as you drive but if you twist the strap as you cross the car that stops it. Over the years this has carried heavy plywood, windsurfers, canoes etc. Hope this helps.
Good idea, thanks Chris. I was shown the twisted strap trick by a lorry drver, it makes a real difference!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SlimPollack said:
Eddy,
Maybe an used ones from eBay?
Thanks SlimP.
Been scanning for used roof bars, and a tow bar too.
Unsurprisingly, lots of mk1 stuff but little mk2.

Perhaps Roy's comment below will help, thanks Roy!
If we can get a dimension of the increased width for the front bar? The cheap new ones maximum width are 138 cm.
Would really help if you could bottom this out on your new car Roy.
I think it will help many Tig 2 owners, especially as we move towards the spring!

Thanks for all the advice.

G

·
I had for my MK1 the halfords brand as they are made by Thule. I managed to get a brand new boxed set of mounts off Gumtree and bought the bars new. I haven't tried them on the MK2 yet. I will be a bit hacked off if they don't fit.

Halfords website shows same kit will fit the MK2 based on my reg.

·
Registered
352 Posts
welshkaiboy said:
Mine is recognised by reg number properly but the only bars matched are Thule :?

G

·
SlimPollack said:
welshkaiboy said:
Mine is recognised by reg number properly but the only bars matched are Thule :?
Really, as I mentioned Halfords brand is made by Thule. Just checked again

EXODUS
With Roof Rails (from 01\2008 to 12\2015)
EXODUS AERO £125.00 Exodus Aero Bars A120 (Pack of 2)
This package contains the following components.
Exodus Aero Bars A120 (Pack of 2) 60.00
Exodus Foot Pack FP7 (Pack of 4) 65.00

I copied a reg from the used VW page and I get the same results.

·
Registered
352 Posts
But your results are for Tiguan Mk1. Below what I got for mine

Product Rectangle Font Material property Parallel

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Eddy
I measured the rails at the point they are secured to the roof - 113/14cm.
The manuals front mounting point is just about in line with door pillar. So measurement will be slightly less, but difficult to measure due to profile of roof rail.
My bars clamp probably allows for a maximum of 109/110cm and they don't quite fit at the mounting point. Moving them slightly towards the rear allows fitting at their maximum.
The other consideration will be the measurement between the mounting points on your roof box front to rear. This will affect position of bars on rails.
Hope this helps.
Cheers
Roy

Attachments

G

·
SlimPollack said:
But your results are for Tiguan Mk1. Below what I got for mine

View attachment 658
I agree the dates do list a different foot pack under Thule. Odd they list all the years for tiguan usings the correct MK2 reg.

The only way I will know is to fit my MK1 bars to see. Maybe the Exodus foot pack is more universal.

G

·
The MK1 had the same holes in the rails which needs filling as they whistled. As long as the rail clamps the bar I don't see any issue. The VW bars probably use the holes for alignment and securing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Welshkaiboy
You are no doubt correct regarding securing on the mk1, certainly I aligned my bars using these holes.
My mk2 does not have these alignment holes, so can't be as precise.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Grey Eddy said:
I need a roof rack, soon.
As I've said before, this is a 3 yr lease car, and so I want to spend as little as possible on accessories!
My car is due delivery a week Monday.
My "local" VW dealer is at least an hours round trip away from home.

So - Has anyone seen the Chinese copies of Thule racks on ebay and amazon, they seem to get reasonable reviews? The "Maypole" brand should be ok?. We're talking £35 v £175!
Q.
1. Anyone tried one? I have a medium size roof box, for occasional long distance runs. I also often carry 2 kayaks, but not generally very far.
2. HELP PLEASE: Could someone please measure the gap between the roof rails and the roof itself, in order that I can find out from supplier if their rack will fit Tig roof bars on the car.

I may then be able to have a rack here ready for when the car arrives.

Many thanks!
Hi! You can get the original Thule ones and they fit many cars -- including the current Nissan Qashqai. Thus you can do a little research and when selling those bars afterwards you can just list all the cars they fit on. That should be an easy sell without too much loss.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Blimey...even cheaper than the ones I had my eye on!
Thanks.
Looks like it might be easy enough to cut these bars to a shorter length if necessary?

I have found wider bars handy in the past, but also that you can bang your head on them if much wider than the car (think they were on a Golf?) Perhaps not an issue on an SUV?
How do you get on? I am a realatively "modest" 5ft 8". Officially short, these days!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts