Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have Pirelli Scorpion run flats on my Tig SEL 19 inch wheels but also have spare wheel. Not sure I see the point. Anyone else have the same?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Spare wheel for me....anytime :|

·
Registered
202 Posts
I almost had the same, bit of a dealer con. Apparently VW automatically put in as default on the order list even though when you more to 19 or 20 inch rims they become run flats... for me at least here in NL questioning this reduced the bill by 290 euros.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Reading through the manual I can find NO mention anywhere of 'run-flat' tyres, and a quick check on Pirelli's website:
https://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/find-your-tyres/all-about-tyres/technology-runflat#,
also states that you should NEVER mix run-flat and non run-flat tyres on the same vehicle.
So if you have a standard space-saver tyre AND run-flat tyres, then that goes against Pirelli's recommendation, and I'm not sure VW would want to do that.
As Salmonfisher has said, I'm pretty sure the inclusion of a spare in the UK means they're not run-flats.

·
Registered
202 Posts
In Holland at least the dealer has to manually deselect it, as standard trend line and comfort line tigs come with normal tyres - however if you go for an r line package and select either the 19 or 20 inch options, then apparently (at least for dutch and maybe continental market) switch over to run flats...but the VW system the dealers are using don't then deselect the spare wheel - this is what the dealer explained. However configs for UK seems completely different to here, so may not be the same issue.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The configurator states the 19's are 'Motability self sealing tyres' which I have never heard of and did wonder if they were run flats.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Could the difference be because of 'BREXIT' 'JonP'......... :lol: Sorry just joking...my sense of humour.. :|

·
Registered
202 Posts
i have an irish passport as well......so dont need to get upset about that topic :) however i am still amazed at the differences in the choices you have 5 model choices S - R-line , we only have 3, on the higher end, eg SEL you still have choice of 2wd or 4motion - we have no choice - 4motion only - we have almost same range of engines - we dont have the 190 tdi , but their availability is completely different re spec choice....really shows a one size doesnt fit all europe in practise!!!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
JonP said:
i have an irish passport as well......so dont need to get upset about that topic :) however i am still amazed at the differences in the choices you have 5 model choices S - R-line , we only have 3, on the higher end, eg SEL you still have choice of 2wd or 4motion - we have no choice - 4motion only - we have almost same range of engines - we dont have the 190 tdi , but their availability is completely different re spec choice....really shows a one size doesnt fit all europe in practise!!!
:arrow: The same on youtube different specs... :roll: :roll: :?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have just checked and it seems I don't have run flats (dealer mis-info again). I have 235/50 R19 Pirelli Scorpions. Disappointed in this really as I would have preferred to have lost heavy spare wheel and gained the run flats. Seems that everyone in Europe is not the same.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The Pirelli Scorpion Verde tyres are described as an 'all season' tyre with a 'seal inside' facility - not run-flats but self-sealing with a gel type coating inside the tyre.. Personally, I have my doubts about a tyre that seals itself since the driver may not be aware that he has had a puncture and there must surely be a point at which the 'repair' is borderline from a safety angle.
Would there be a sufficient drop in pressure to trigger the tyre pressure monitor? Only experience will tell.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Guys, after all the discussions on this I went back to the dealer and expained the discussion on the forum...after a bit of checking he came back and said his translation of dutch was wrong -. We get continental - self sealing - not run flats...sorry for any confusion caused!

·
Registered
202 Posts
He has just come back again and said they may not be continentals.....i give up! Will just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Interesting statement from Pirelli link...

Within a product line there is no difference in terms of driving performance (rolling resistance, comfort, noise, dry and wet performance) between a Seal Inside tyre and a standard tyre.
The Seal Inside Technology does not need dedicated rims and TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System) to be used safely on a vehicle; it can be used on any kind of vehicle depending on the tyre size.

Hopefully, the Tig TPMS will pick up and loss of pressure but it seems you may not even notice it especially as they state the above, otherwise its regular inspections. Still begs the question, do you really need the spare.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts