Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have searched VW documents on line, and on here, and have not been able to find manufacturers recommendations for this car.
I am an Engineer, and have my own ideas on how-to, but given data logging capabilities of new vehicles, I am keen to comply!

Given my forecast delivery time/date I will immediately have to set off on a 400 mile trip. It's a lease car, so if no REQUIREMENT to run in according to a specific schedule, then i will just drive it as I would my other cars.

BTW I really don't believe all the "modern manufacturing is so great, breakin is not needed" BSh1t, nor that a 20k mile service interval is sensible or realistic. I most certainly would not subject my owned cars to such a hard regime.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW I appreciate that I also need to consider the tyres and brakes too.

Any advice on VW break-in regimes please?

·
Registered
257 Posts
It says 1500kms running in, in the manual for the engine. Not to tow a trailer/caravan during that mileage. It also mentions about engine revs. I'll have to check the manual for the exact description.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Drive it like you stole it, three VW's in our family driven this way from day 1 and no oil usage in any of them and no engine problems either. We ignored the towing advisory as well BTW but it is your motor of course. I honestly don't see what the issue is as all new cars have warranty and get fixed of something goes wrong. We have also had oil analysis done at the recommended intervals and all indications are the service intervals could be extended but I guess VW would not like the loss of service income and it could become a safety issue as well.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
conversely.... My process is to ease in gradually, not revving madly from cold, or thrashing the guts out, but treating it gently, but NOT like its a geriatric. Yes accelerate, lightly, don't keep at the same revs too long but vary it. Don't be afraid to go fast as long as its not straining it.

I've done this with my last 4 new cars and they all have run sweetly without problems. Oh, re the towing, I had to tow with the current tig, at around 800 miles, but again took it gently. Pulling smoothly up to speed doesn't really matter if your 1600 kg or 3000 kg, just ease it up there.

I liken it to an athlete starting training, they don't go straight in, but ease in gradually.

·
Registered
151 Posts
This is an interesting post. I too took it fairly easy for first 1,500 miles as recommended - ie happy to drive at speed limit on motorway but didn't accelerate hard etc. However I came to Tiguan after 5 Audis with basically the same engine and my Audi garage advised me absolutely no need to run in these days with modern engines and oils and I never had a problem.
So you take your choice - probably no need but why chance it for the first couple of weeks which is all it took before I had done 1.500.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just drive cars normally from the start. Take it easy on the brakes until they are bedded in but it's no sport car so just drive it in normal drive mode and let the car decide it's revs and gears

·
Registered
239 Posts
I collected my car from VW Autostadt in Wolfsburg and the VW engineer who handed the car over to me informed me to keep the revs around 3000 for the first 3000km and advised on no towing during this period. He also mentioned that I should wait at least 6 weeks before using an automatic car wash, this is to allow further hardening of the paint. Hand washing is fine which is what I do anyway.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just drove it slowly as per instructions for the first 1500km because I was paranoid that the VW engine computer would record if I didn't and I'd risk voiding some warranty or something. Have given it some harder driving since then

·
Registered
207 Posts
I am sure that no demo vehicle is treated to a 1500 mile running in.
I treated mine respectfully but it still had to earn its keep and it was towing within 3 weeks of delivery.
Cheers
Roy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts