Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm due to get me new tig in a week or so and just thinking about how to run it in. A friend of mine who use to run a dealership suggest the best way is to hit it hard (which suits my driving style) but everything I have read suggests taking it slow and steady.

What's everyone's view, how did you run in your new Tig?

Cheers

Ken

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
This what the AA say about "running in" a new engine:

In the first thousand miles
Start with gentle town driving so all the major components, including brakes can bed-in.

New tyres have a thin oily coating - a mixture of oils from the rubber and a release agent to prevent the tyre sticking to the manufacturing mould. Until this wears off the handling will feel different, especially in the wet. In practice this will wear off within 3-5 miles so most new car buyer's are unlikely to experience it.

Try to avoid harsh acceleration and heavy braking

For diesel engines, keep the engine speed below 3000 rpm, but make sure the revs regularly reach this limit

For petrol engines stick to a 3000 rpm limit for the first 500-600 miles and then increase the limit to around 4000 rpm. Again, revs should regularly reach this limit.

Avoid labouring the engine - by changing up too early for example

Check oil and coolant levels at least once a week - this is a new car so you don't know how much oil it will use. Oil consumption can be high for the first 6000 miles or so but should slow, particularly if the car has been treated gently in the early days.

After the first 1000 miles gradually use more of the car's performance.

Steve

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Tazzman said:
Thanks, get it today
Great News 'Tazzman'.... have a good day, which I'm sure it will be.... looking forward to seeing some pics :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.