Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Afternoon folks,

Please accept my apologies if this has already been discussed, but can anybody please give me a simple explanation as to how to update the SD card with the latest mapping. I have a MacBook and apparently you have to download a zip file reader?

I'm not completely computer illiterate but if anybody can give me a really easy summary I would be eternally grateful!

Thanks in advance.

JRSTIGSEL

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi,
The simplest way to update the nav software is using the vw discovery care application. It actually does it all for you.

I haven't used the mac version, but have used the windows variant and it is simple.

Here is the link to the official site:
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/how-to-guides/videos/in-car-entertainment

Simply download the discovery card program that you need and follow the instructions.

The current, latest maps are November 2016, but the May 2017 versions are due out any day now, so keep an eye out if you want the absolute latest.

Hope this helps.

Axel

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Axel said:
Hi,
The simplest way to update the nav software is using the vw discovery care application. It actually does it all for you.

I haven't used the mac version, but have used the windows variant and it is simple.

Here is the link to the official site:
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/how-to-guides/videos/in-car-entertainment

Simply download the discovery card program that you need and follow the instructions.

The current, latest maps are November 2016, but the May 2017 versions are due out any day now, so keep an eye out if you want the absolute latest.

Hope this helps.

Axel
Thanks very much Axel, much appreciated, have a pleasant weekend &#x1f44d-1f3fb;

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a Mac and it works perfectly but you do need to remember to slide the little switch on the sd card otherwise the computer won't be able to write to your card. This happened to me at first until I figured out what was wrong.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bigrids said:
I have a Mac and it works perfectly but you do need to remember to slide the little switch on the sd card otherwise the computer won't be able to write to your card. This happened to me at first until I figured out what was wrong.
Hi bigrids, did you have to download a zip unlocker (or whatever it's called?).

·
Registered
35 Posts
no I just downloaded the vw discovery software. Took my sd card from the car and put it in my Mac and hey presto it upgraded itself. Extremely simple. Didn't work at the beginning as I said I didn't realise about the sliding switch on the card.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All updated thanks guys, appreciate your help! Jonathan

·
Registered
51 Posts
Two questions.
How do you know when an update is available, my current one is Europe 1 V6?
How much data (gb) is the download?
My broadband is slow at 3.3Mbps and my Garmin currently takes about 4- 5 hours to download.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
Budgie, if you follow the link that Axel quoted in the second post on this thread you should find all the info you need.

Steve

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just a quick bit of info on the map updates.

The May map update has just been released for the discovery pro version of the nav, that's the ssd variant.

The update for the regular discovery media nav, sd card based, usually follows a few days later; the map set for that unit is still the Nov maps, but this will more than likely change in a few days. I'll post again when the new maps are up for the regular nav unit.

I think the regular nav is always a bit later to allow time for vw dealers to receive updated physical SD cards so they can sell them to customers :roll:

Cheers
Axel

·
Registered
44 Posts
In anticipation of the release of the map updates for the Discover Media, I tried to use DiscoverCare to create a backup SD of the current maps, using a 16GB SanDisk SD card. It appeared to work ok, the software recognised by new card and wrote the map data to it, but the nav system did not find the data when the card was inserted. I then tried copying the files from the original VW SD card to my PC, then copying them onto the SanDisk card. Again, system does not find the data.

I've noted that the Infotainment system manual states :-

"To avoid navigation malfunctions, only use genuine Volkswagen SD cards. It is not possible to use other SD cards!"

but I usually take such warnings with a large pinch of salt.However, it does seem that VW have done something to ensure that 'other' SD cards will not work. Has anyone else tried to use a card other than as supplied by VW, and have they had any success?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I updated my SD card back in February. I know that the map is out of date since it doesn't recognise a major change in road layout completed on 16th March. It is now late June and Discover Care tells me the My SD card is up to date. Does anyone know the frequency with which updates are launched? I am sure that my TomTom was updated four times a year.

·
Registered
44 Posts
After re-reading the documentation for the Discover Media system and the DiscoverCare software, it looks like it really is not possible to use a third-party SD card in the Discover Media system.

It was a little confusing that DiscoverCare gives you two options, one to write the update to an original VW supplied card, the second to a new, third-party SD card. I used the second option to create what looked like a valid set of map data (same folders and filenames on my SanDisk card as on the original VW card), but the Discover Media did not recognise it as holding valid map data.

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Software

I suppose it might be something that is lost in translation, but it seems the first option is the ONLY option you can use if the car was ORIGINALLY supplied with an SD card as normal (i.e. when new). The second option is absolutely no good if you buy a second-hand car which originally came with an SD card, but that card is no longer available (lost or damaged), or if like me, you want to create a backup card.

However, I then tried the first option, but placed the SanDisk card (with the updated map data still on it) in the computer instead of the VW card.
DiscoverCare then told me that "A matching VW SD card has been found. Please continue", so I did, and on the next screen it told me that I already had the current version of the map data, but I continued and wrote the data to the card again. Placed it in the car and still Discover Media still did not recognise it.

It seems there is something 'hidden' on the card which Discover Media looks for and DiscoverCare doesn't, which only adds to the confusion.

I had to pop into the VW dealer for something else yesterday, and I asked how much for a new VW SD card, and the answer was £65! I think I paid £9 for the SanDisk card in Sainsbury's. Admittedly the VW card would come with the map updates pre-loaded, but I wasn't prepared to pay over £50 for something I could easily do myself.

As a former IT professional, I have always worked on a basic principle of never overwriting data on a disk or other magnetic media unless I had a working backup on a separate volume, that I could quickly fall back on if the write operation went badly wrong, and left me with a useless disk/tape/card. Admittedly the risk of this particular operation failing is quite low and I'd effectively done a dummy run with the SanDisk card, so against my better judgement, I gave in and decided to overwrite the VW SD card.

I'm happy to say that it was successful and I now have updated maps on my nav system (although it doesn't include the new junction 11A on the M1 or the M1-A5 link road bypassing Dunstable, which opened in May).

I will now try to see if VW will supply a blank or old card (i.e with old map data on it) for something much less than £65, so that I can maintain a backup in future.

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
The thing is you are paying for the software not the SD card.

And as with software when it used to come on discs / CDs / floppys (if you are old enough to remember a floppy disc), then it will have an element of copyright protection on it such as a hidden section on the actual disc to minimise the risk of piracy of the software etc.

As who is to say that you wouldn't copy it and then sell it for £10 a time to those people that have just bought a 2nd hard car without the disc in it?

As for the other option - that might be for those where the software is already pre-installed on a hard disc within the hardware - for example, does the DiscoverPro come with a disc?

The hard disc would know that it is licensed and look for just an update file rather than the original license.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My Citroen used the same manufacturers mapping data (here) as VW. Again it was not possible to copy the card to another for backup purposes, for the reasons bhuna stated. However, I was aware of methods to modify files on the card to allow the system to run copied maps, so potentially it could be possible. The incentive was that Citroen charged for updates where VW do not- removing the temptation for illegal copying.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just out of interest, I updated my card on 30th May, the version I have is 3GO.919.866.AQ 0730 ECE1 2017. I assumed this was the latest release for this year. Although seems to be missing some roads near where I live.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I believe that was the November 2016 release.
As always, the data used predates the release by quite a few months- so won't reflect any recent changes in road layout

·
Registered
44 Posts
Bhuna said:
The thing is you are paying for the software not the SD card.
Except it's not a payment that I, or anyone else who use the legitimate options to update the card themselves (using methods advised by VW), am ever going to make, so VW must have costed in that many customers will not pay £65, twice a year, to have updated maps.

VW must view it that I've already paid for the software in the original purchase, otherwise why would they provide the tools to download the map data and update the cards at no charge?

Making a backup copy of software and/or data is often allowable, if not encouraged, under many software licencing schemes, so I really don't think it's a software/licencing issue.

The DiscoverCare software allows you to make and keep a backup copy of the data on your own computer, and with SD cards, is probably reliable enough, but not the ideal solution for backup. Whilst solid state media is way more reliable than floppies etc., SD cards can and do fail, so it seems only fair that a replacement card should be available at nearer to cost price than £65.

From what I've been able to ascertain, the reason for the restriction on SD cards in Discover Media is something to do with a supposed requirement for higher spec cards, because they stay in the car, hence the statement in the manual

"To avoid navigation malfunctions, only use genuine Volkswagen SD cards. It is not possible to use other SD cards!"

As far as making copies and selling them at £10 a time is concerned, as it appears that other systems (Discover Pro?) allow the use of third party SD cards, and VW provide free software to write them for you, this doesn't seem to bother VW either. I assume the difference with the these systems is that the data is then transferred from the SD card to an HDD in the car.

It looks to me like the £65 is more a charge for those who aren't confident enough, or too lazy, to do the update themselves.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just popped the SD card into the computer and discover care is saying I already have the current version. Guess I've answered my own question unless anyone's update shows different release number.

·
Registered
44 Posts
dolphinfriendly1012 said:
Just out of interest, I updated my card on 30th May, the version I have is 3GO.919.866.AQ 0730 ECE1 2017. I assumed this was the latest release for this year. Although seems to be missing some roads near where I live.
That is the same version that DiscoverCare is saying I downloaded the other day, and it is definitely a different version to what was in the car (first registered in January and I bought as an ex-demo in April) which was 3GO.919.866.S 0635 ECE1 2016/17.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts