Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, Have just ordered a new Tiguan, 2ltr tdi se. I didn't want to pay another £700 for the se-nav, seemed a bit steep. Does anyone know if it's possible to retro fit sat nav? It would appear all you need is the vw sd card, it can't be that simple? Can it?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I would say that's the going rate, very similar to the Audi A1 price and the only way to activate is at a vw garage through to the factory computerno other way to Activate,

·
Registered
214 Posts
I don't think it's that simple. I think Im right In saying that the screen on the none nav version doesn't have the button to select nav. I think it has a mute button instead. So to actually have nav you would need the sd card, activation, new screen, coding of all to the vehicle and removal of the component protection.

That said the vw nav unit isn't great. You do have app connect, so use iPhone or android phone to display maps and nav and you've actually got a better satnav than the vw one, without the hassle of trying fully upgrade lots of components👍.

Regards
Axel

·
Registered
48 Posts
I also have an SE without sat nav, I use Google maps via my android phone and it is great.

Bob

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've never had a built in Sat Nav before. Always used Tom Tom or CoPilot apps on my iPhone. I have to say I haven't found any issues with the VW sat nav, and it's worked fine for me so far. I also don't have to fiddle about with my iPhone and holders and power leads. I'm happy with it, but appreciate it's horses for courses.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought a pre-registered SE the main dealer I was buying upgraded to Nav for £740 about the normal price differential between models, they do lots, Polos & Golfs mostly. Just used it for a serious trip last week. It is not just poor its plain dangerous to use!!! I had a sat nav in my 2008MY Ford Mondeo for 10 years. Direct button access to Nav and as I come to the next junction the Vehicle Info display ( simple orange led based matrix) provides a pictogram, eg roundabout with exit marked or Junction with a countdown from 300m, 3bars 2bars 1bar.
I asked the idiot salesman if the VW Nav system would do it. Lying thro his teeth he assured me of course it would.
As I drive through complex DC an Motorway junctions looking at the Infotainment system with it constantly clanging size display it just to dangerous to try. I have to rely on the voice prompt, known as NORAH as I have to ignore her "drive left" to avoid slip roads taking me onto the first slip when I need the roundabout to take the the right hand side slip a few 100 meters up the road. Phone based Nav systems are OK for general directions but Useless in real driving. Switching on Nav involves Menu then sliding the pictograms accross, it can only be done safely when the car is stopped.

VW claim to be the most digitally engaged manufacturer, it seems to me they let a bunch of IPad fanboy none driving teens loose to design the Infotainment system where cool looking features entertain as priority rather over driver safety assistance.

Is there a way to get the on the road instructions generated by the nav onto the driver info screen?

Why are VW stuck with the old add on Sat Nav paradigm of the early 2000s when we stuck Garmin panels on the dash board?
If the salesman had told the truth I would not have bought the car.
Its overweight at kerb weight of 1740 Kg 100 more the expected, sapping performance and it rolls like a pig wallowing in a mud hole. My Mondeo had S pack 30mm lower sport suspension I guess its Sport Suspension from the Dealer but only 15mm!! and a remap when its had a nice running in period.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Pleas be aware that there is a well known issue with Google maps when in non-English speaking countries (assuming you don't speak the local lingo!)

Gmaps becomes increasingly insistent on using local Google source, meaning that the maps will display names in local language.
Possibly dooable in France or Spain, at least as far as I am concerned, but absolutely FA use when in Greece where I am atm (not with my Tig) , or in E European countries using the Cyrillic alphabet!!!
Of course as many of the road signs are not bilingual this is exactly when I have greatest need to rely on the satnav.

Languages can be reset, but it appears to become more of an issue the longer you stay abroad? Some sort of cache dump temporarily fixes it, but not easy to do this and preserve passwords etc.

Thank god i still have my trusty Garmin.
The Up! I have on rent has no parking sensors or central locking, never mind nav, so unable to comment on VW nav here.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
It always mystifies me why a built in sat nav should cost well over £1000, when a portable unit costing perhaps a quarter of the price or less can do just as good a job, or better.

I have a portable TomTom sat nav bought about 8 or 9 years ago, which I still use, it gets map updates (admittedly at cost) at least 4 times a year, allows me to integrate a speed camera database from Pocketgpsworld, which gets updated every week or so with camera info input by users, and I can also connect it to my PC and use a program called 'Tyre' (Trace your route everywhere) to pre-program and save routes to my spec using google maps (including muliple waypoints).
I must admit I now only use my portable device for longer or one-off journeys, but for day to day use, even Google maps on my iphone works better than VW's expensive inbuilt unit. :(

I just wish Apple CarPlay would allow the use of Google maps, but we all know that 'aint gonna happen. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
463 Posts
Statto1927 said:
I've never had a built in Sat Nav before. Always used Tom Tom or CoPilot apps on my iPhone. I have to say I haven't found any issues with the VW sat nav, and it's worked fine for me so far. I also don't have to fiddle about with my iPhone and holders and power leads. I'm happy with it, but appreciate it's horses for courses.
+1 :p

·
Registered
485 Posts
I've tried to use the Sat Nav, but it's too restrictive, isn't intuitive, and has failed to find two valid postcodes so far.

I had been going to sell my TomTom, but I think it's getting installed in my Tig now.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Vexhatious said:
I bought a pre-registered SE the main dealer I was buying upgraded to Nav for £740 about the normal price differential between models, they do lots, Polos & Golfs mostly. Just used it for a serious trip last week. It is not just poor its plain dangerous to use!!! I had a sat nav in my 2008MY Ford Mondeo for 10 years. Direct button access to Nav and as I come to the next junction the Vehicle Info display ( simple orange led based matrix) provides a pictogram, eg roundabout with exit marked or Junction with a countdown from 300m, 3bars 2bars 1bar.
I asked the idiot salesman if the VW Nav system would do it. Lying thro his teeth he assured me of course it would.
As I drive through complex DC an Motorway junctions looking at the Infotainment system with it constantly clanging size display it just to dangerous to try. I have to rely on the voice prompt, known as NORAH as I have to ignore her "drive left" to avoid slip roads taking me onto the first slip when I need the roundabout to take the the right hand side slip a few 100 meters up the road. Phone based Nav systems are OK for general directions but Useless in real driving. Switching on Nav involves Menu then sliding the pictograms accross, it can only be done safely when the car is stopped.

VW claim to be the most digitally engaged manufacturer, it seems to me they let a bunch of IPad fanboy none driving teens loose to design the Infotainment system where cool looking features entertain as priority rather over driver safety assistance.

Is there a way to get the on the road instructions generated by the nav onto the driver info screen?

Why are VW stuck with the old add on Sat Nav paradigm of the early 2000s when we stuck Garmin panels on the dash board?
If the salesman had told the truth I would not have bought the car.
Its overweight at kerb weight of 1740 Kg 100 more the expected, sapping performance and it rolls like a pig wallowing in a mud hole. My Mondeo had S pack 30mm lower sport suspension I guess its Sport Suspension from the Dealer but only 15mm!! and a remap when its had a nice running in period.
Sell and move on!

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
I must admit I'm finding I now use Google maps more and more. ;)
One reason is that I can pre-plan routes on my ipad, inserting extra waypoints (stops) as necessary which allows me to route the way I want to go, not necessarily the way Google chooses, then I just email the route to myself, and pick it up on my iphone in the car.

The only problem with inputting extra waypoints (stops) is that Google will treat them as an actual stop, and you have to press a button on screen to continue which is really no problem.

Steve

·
Registered
835 Posts
Did you not test drive it?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts