Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i fuelled up my new car last night for the very first time and under the forecourt lighting i noticed lots of scratches on my car that I can only assume was caused by cleaning the car prior to collection.

You can only really see the scratches under certain lighting conditions, but they are there all the same and I'm sure they will be noticeable once the sunnier months approach us.

Do you guys think its acceptable to have 'cleaning' scratches on a brand new car?

I have emailed the dealer, but curious if anyone else had experienced this?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Quite normal for dealers as they spend so little time on the prep. It's why you often see people asking for the cars with transit stickers still on for collection so they can either take to a detailer for a proper perfect collection or if you have a machine polisher and a collection of products do it yourself. I wouldn't let the dealer correct it if they offer, likely to do more damage taking uneccessary amounts of paint off with a rotary polisher in the hands of someone with an hr window to do an entire car. And then leaving You with a load of buffer trails.

A good detailer won't charge too much for a single stage polish and protection and at least it will be perfect then

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is the reply from dealer.

"With the colour of the car being Black, it can happen that on occasion light surface marks appear due to small particles of dirt/dust becoming trapped between the valet shammy and the car. If this is the situation then what I can advise is to have a machine polish carried out on the car which will improve/remove the type of marks which appear on the car.

Whilst I can fully appreciate you would not expect your new car to have any marks on it, I also have the same issue with Black cars which are on display in the showroom.

When would be a good time for you to come in to have the car machine polished?"

·
Registered
261 Posts
To be honest I'd be wary of letting a dealer machine polish it, think I'd find a good local car detailer to look at the paint and ensure it's just surface scratches.

Don't want to worry you but I had a golf where you could see light scratches, I got a local body shop to look and they quickly identified that the car had been sprayed on multiple panels, it was quickly rejected, I'm very wary of anything I see on new cars.

Most likely poor dealer prep but I'd make sure that's all it is and have it reworked correctly.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wouldn't let dealer touch mine with a barge pole as they don't have a clue on detailing, as already said a professional detailer will correct and add the relevant protection you desire. A black car is very high maintenance and aver after a professional detail you will need to follow a very careful cleaning regime to keep looking great. If you just wash normally and dry with a chamois then you will see swirl marks very soon. I find that the use of a pre clean foam and rinse with the 2 bucket wash system taking care with drying will keep the bodtwork in tip top condition.

It does become an obsession with loads of advise online.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Timbo said:
I wouldn't let dealer touch mine with a barge pole as they don't have a clue on detailing, as already said a professional detailer will correct and add the relevant protection you desire. A black car is very high maintenance and aver after a professional detail you will need to follow a very careful cleaning regime to keep looking great. If you just wash normally and dry with a chamois then you will see swirl marks very soon. I find that the use of a pre clean foam and rinse with the 2 bucket wash system taking care with drying will keep the bodtwork in tip top condition.

It does become an obsession with loads of advise online.
Great advice thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts