Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I asked online chat what max size the sd card for discover media is so I can see if my 100gb of high quality audio will fit alongside the maps if I copy the vw card provided. - as they said there's only one card slot and it's needed for Nav.

They said you can only use official vw cards. Does this sound right? Has anyone managed to use their own? Any ideas on the maximum size too?

Thanks

·
Registered
485 Posts
My one has two SD card slots. Nav is in one and my music is in the other. I don't have the Pro.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Good morning snailofsatan.......some wrong info you have been given, sorry to hear. I haven't used an only VW sd card, and there are two card readers...one for the sat nav, on which the sd card which is VW's is already included which is SD 1....... and another slot for SD 2 which I use for my downloaded music. If you search the forum, there is a couple of threads on this.

·
Registered
328 Posts
As the others here have said, Discover Media (i.e. standard spec on Nav, SEL and R-Line) provides two SD card slots.

There is apparently a file count limit for music of 1000 files. However, it's not clear if this is across the whole card or per folder. I've yet to find the time to fully load a card up with MP3s and test this.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sweet thanks guys, much appreciated.

That'll certainly be a lot easier by the sounds of it with 2 slots! I'm learning I should take live chat info with a pinch of salt

·
Registered
627 Posts
I think it really does depend on who you talk to in live chat and I'm not one to name and shame but I will say if a certain name or couple of names popped up I would shut down chat immediately and try again later to get someone different.

I have been told my VIN already by one person on chat but then told by another it's not something they have access to. I was told other things that then later got contradicted.

I usually tried to speak with either Stephen or Holly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I asked about the SD card on this thread

https://www.tiguanforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1205

I don't have a Tig yet so cannot speak from personal experience but the manual says 256gig. One of the guys who helpfully responded on that thread says that the 1000 file limit is per folder. So if you have a hoofing great folder with 1001 tracks that's your limit. However, you can have multiple folders and each can have up to 1000 tracks.

I guess if you're doing the regular sensible thing of having a folder structure that goes ARTIST / ALBUM and then you put tracks in there you'll be more than fine. I hope so as I've started re ripping my cd collection as FLAC due to the Tiguan being cool with that and I intend to buy a 256gig card. I'd be grateful if anyone out there can post the biggest card they've actually used as I've not seen anything that big being reported on despite what the manual says. One that size should hold in excess of five hundred FLAC albums of average size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts