Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched the forum for answers but am having a problem locating somewhere that does decent sill protectors for the Mk2 Tiggy. I don't really want shiny metal ones, would prefer black plastic TBH. They need decent coverage and not just sticky vinyl.

The RGM protectors are exactly what I'm looking for but they only cover the Mk1. I called them today and they confirmed that they currently have no plans to make them for the Mk2... :(

All the others I've found are either shiny metal ones, some better than others, and vinyl of varying finishes. Most don't cover the sill very effectively and seem to be a case of style over substance.

Some sellers seem to infer, by saying 2008+, that the Mk1 and Mk2 are interchangeable?

I'll ask to see the VW options when I collect my car next week as I feel that the black ones they do maybe the closest to what I'm looking for. Need to see them in the flash though.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
433 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tim, have already looked at those several times. They seem to do two versions one just metal and another with a black film on the upper surface. How well do yours fit and how much coverage do they give in terms of depth across the sill?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had sill protectors fitted by my local stealer. They are the black ones. Look ok against the white paint.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had sill protectors fitted by my local stealer. They are the black ones. Look ok against the white paint.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Hi Chas yep same problem here got the black r line so do I go with the black plastic looking one,s like the VW,s or the shiney metal ones. Any one done either yet ? :D

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, the VW ones do look reasonably understated, which is what I'm looking for. Would prefer them without the stripe, hence the attraction to the RGM ones but alas not available for the Mk2. I accept that this 'Amish' approach isn't to everyone's taste, World would be a boring place if we were all the same...

Will ask if my dealer has a set he can show me.

Also looking for long term durability so not convinced by the Amazon and eBay ones that seem to just be made from vinyl film. Viper88, how thick are yours and does the eBay vendor do plain ones? link to item would do.

Whoops, I seem to have possibly enraged the forum overlords by asking a direct question with a new thread rather than adding to an existing thread :oops: Apologies if that's the case.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,581 Posts
Chas said:
Whoops, I seem to have possibly enraged the forum overlords by asking a direct question with a new thread rather than adding to an existing thread :oops: Apologies if that's the case.
Hi Chas, I'm assuming you're referring about my post re: using the search facility. I must stress it wasn't meant to come over as a "slap on the wrist" for anyone not using it, rather than a simple reminder that it's there. I'm no moderator and wouldn't wish to appear as one.

Apologies if it came over a bit heavy handed, that wasn't the intention :oops:

Steve

·
Registered
433 Posts
Chas said:
Thanks Tim, have already looked at those several times. They seem to do two versions one just metal and another with a black film on the upper surface. How well do yours fit and how much coverage do they give in terms of depth across the sill?
Hi Chas

Does this help

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
The Lockwood stainless steel protectors come in a couple of styles. I went for the ones which have an etched line on them like the white line on the black ones dsaunders has posted a picture of. I would thing they would be cheaper to purchase than something direct from VW

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Had a look at the ones on our ancient Alhambra this afternoon. Thought that they were thick moulded plastic but on close up inspection they are in fact a sort of vinyl film, albeit with a subtle ridge. They've lasted the 12 years that the car has been in existence. Maybe I'm being too particular rejecting the idea of film?

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Essjay said:
Hi Chas, I'm assuming you're referring about my post re: using the search facility. I must stress it wasn't meant to come over as a "slap on the wrist" for anyone not using it, rather than a simple reminder that it's there. I'm no moderator and wouldn't wish to appear as one.

Apologies if it came over a bit heavy handed, that wasn't the intention :oops:
No worries Steve, I was referring to your post, yes. I do get the point and possibly acted in haste starting a new thread on a well worn subject, not good etiquette, so apologies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts