Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the wifes SEL Tiguan today and am planning on spending most of tomorrow detailing it and am wondering what to apply to the seats. They're supposed to be a microfibre type material but it looks and feels very much like suede which Im sure it isnt. I Was thinking of applying a few coats of gtechniq I1 fabric protector but i just wanted to double check it definitely is a fabric and if anyone else has applied any sort of fabric protection and was it ok? Thansk all.

·
Registered
169 Posts
It's called alcantara and never heard of microfibre type seats before but my detailer did mine but not sure what he used but I know he is a gtechnic fan so I expect that's what he used but I always have seat covers on anyway .

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was trying to find something for the same purpose but was nervous of the outcome!

Strangely I didn't get offered anything by the dealer, but looking later it would have been GardX for some crazy sum I'm sure!

Would be interested to hear any updates

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bigal said:
It's called alcantara and never heard of microfibre type seats before but my detailer did mine but not sure what he used but I know he is a gtechnic fan so I expect that's what he used but I always have seat covers on anyway .
Cheers, I thought it looked like alcantara but the brochure says its 'lounge cloth with art velours microfleece' hence wasnt quite sure, or is that the scientific name for alcantara!?

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the SEL seat fabric nice to the touch it is would not be a great choice for families with small children

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi I have had cars with alcantara on the seats for 16 odd years all EK9 Honda Civic Type R s use it on the seats and its amazing stuff. very hard wearing the material can get incredibly dirty then cleans up like new. You can virtually take a red seat thats black with dirt etc clean it up and get it looking like a new red seat again.

I have done this myself over the years so know you can get marks off it that on other materials there would be a stain. Also it doesn't seem to mark, pull etc. Over the years i have tried different cleaners to keep the seats which are nearly 20 years old looking like new.

Hope that helps

Moray

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey BigAl, what seat covers do you have? Do you have a picture?
And Moray, what was the name of the cleaner you used. The body-shop manager in VW told me never to use GardX, he said its very toxic!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi sorry I should have said. Its Alcantara cleaner by Raceglaze it was about £15. I have tried a few different methods / products over the years and I found this to be the best. Use a fine mist with this stuff then wipe off with a micro fibre and its always worked for me.

Hope that helps.

Moray

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Bigal said:
Am using no special covers , just universal Halfords ones that I have used on my other cars .
Are a bit of a tight fit but they do fine .
Hi Bigal...been looking on-line at the Halfords rear one which are reduced to only £5 at the moment .....what I've read about them and like is the bottom is separate from the top, but people have said on reviews not suitable for leather :roll: so I was thinking of getting them and putting a towel or something underneath :idea:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just had the following reply from gtechniq re applying I1 as follows 'i1 will be fine on any porous material and works great on upholstery seats, carpet, microfibre, soft tops, alcantara and many more surfaces' so looks like i'll be applying that tonight!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Blancoroc said:
Just had the following reply from gtechniq re applying I1 as follows 'i1 will be fine on any porous material and works great on upholstery seats, carpet, microfibre, soft tops, alcantara and many more surfaces' so looks like i'll be applying that tonight!
I put some on my seats the first day I got the car. Tip - put a rubber glove on then lightly spray the seats and massage in with the gloved hand. Works a treat. Takes a few hours to dry and 3 days to for the smell and fumes to go. if hot you will need to drive with windows open or you will be a high as a kite.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts