Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know if the service costs are the same for petrol and diesel just trying to decide on petrol or diesel does the ad blue system cause probles or cost more to service

how about cambelts is the 2.0 tsi chain or belt driven

thanks

·
Registered
463 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
You say in another post that you only do 4.5 - 5K per year so petrol is the only sensible choice. The lower purchase price over the equivalent diesel will cover any additional running costs for years on that mileage. You would also have potential problems with the DPF regeneration unless you regularly do a decent length run at over 2K revs.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Why oh why....they do not use a chain in the diesel like the petrol engine, rather than the grooved belt ...beggars belief :!: :!: :x :x

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just had first service by VW 99.00 on TSI. Changed oil / new filter & kicked the tyres. No valet, won't let them touch it.

·
Registered
463 Posts
stumpy said:
Why oh why....they do not use a chain in the diesel like the petrol engine, rather than the grooved belt ...beggars belief :!: :!: :x :x
I believe the early high mileage TSI's had chain tensioner issues which could also lead to a destroyed engine. Sorted in the later ones thank goodness.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Beagler said:
stumpy said:
I believe the early high mileage TSI's had chain tensioner issues which could also lead to a destroyed engine. Sorted in the later ones thank goodness.
It wasn't just the high milers Beagler, it could happen at any time. There was a chain tensioner issue which was caused by lack of oil pressure (used to activate the tensioner) and basically the chain was allowed to jump the sprocket, leading to the engine destroying itself by pistons colliding with valves etc. There was a revised tensioner on late 2010 engines, but VW refused to accept and recall cars with the early tensioner issue. They would usually pay or part pay for new engines or partial engines, or sometimes they wouldn't pay at all. Service history with them seemed to have the biggest sway on their decision. I had a GTI with the early tensioner and had no issues but it always worried me, my mate had an Octavia VRs which destroyed itself - he had 22K on the clock at the time.

The other thing they did around the same time was to reduce the timing belt change interval on the diesel engines.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hartside said:
Beagler said:
stumpy said:
It wasn't just the high milers Beagler, it could happen at any time. There was a chain tensioner issue which was caused by lack of oil pressure (used to activate the tensioner) and basically the chain was allowed to jump the sprocket, leading to the engine destroying itself by pistons colliding with valves etc. There was a revised tensioner on late 2010 engines, but VW refused to accept and recall cars with the early tensioner issue. They would usually pay or part pay for new engines or partial engines, or sometimes they wouldn't pay at all. Service history with them seemed to have the biggest sway on their decision. I had a GTI with the early tensioner and had no issues but it always worried me, my mate had an Octavia VRs which destroyed itself - he had 22K on the clock at the time.

The other thing they did around the same time was to reduce the timing belt change interval on the diesel engines.
Yes, I remember now. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts