Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a silly question, but what does everyone's service schedule read on the infotainment system? I thought I was on 10,000 mile / 1 yr service but when I look under Service on the system it is showing a 20,000 mile / 2 year countdown. I'm suspecting that the dealer has set the wrong schedule up when they PDI'd.

Any thoughts?

I did specify 15,000 a year on the PCP deal - would this affect the dealers decision on which service schedule to select??

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I do similar mileage so would assume that you have been set up for long life services, however mine is set to 10k as they threw in the first 2 services and then have agreed to put me back on a long life service plan.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Many thanks to ashypants as I didn't know the car would give you this information. I have just looked it up in my handbook and popped out to have a look. I was shocked to see my first service is due at 13000 miles/270 days. I remember my dealer telling me he had set it to high mileage but wasn't sure what he meant. However, my mileage is extremely low (car 6 months old and has done 2200 miles). I hope I don't do any damage if the car says it doesn't need a service.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Personally, I would see what the service manual / book (if there is one) says rather than rely on what has been set on the electronics of the car.

Also, I would review any terms and conditions of PCP / PCH arrangements if anyone has one as it may be that they are expecting to see an annual service.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had the opposite problem. Mine was set at 10,000 when I asked for long life services. Dealer argued but now on long life. I have had 4 Audis with 2 TDI engines before and all were on long life servicing with never a hint of a problem. I think the dealer was after the service work. My local Audi dealer says they set all Audis for long life servicing irrespective of mileage. However if you do a very low mileage and are worried there is nothing to stop you taking it in earlier and getting the oil changed which is really all that is needed. The only reason I can see to pay for shorter services is if someone else is paying.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest the dealer included the first 2 services in the price so from a cost effective position servicing every 2 years on a 4 year PCP works for me :) Good shout though Bhuna on the PCP t&c's, I will have to have a look. Looking at the codes stuck in the front of service book it does show set for LongLife....

Does anyone know if these new Euro 6 Diesel engines have an Oil Quality Sensor - i.e. this would change the electronic service interval warning depending on the oil quality in the engine block??

·
Registered
627 Posts
I'm on, ok will be on, PCH when I get the car and I know that it is my responsibility to get it serviced annually and twice for the 2 years I have the car (ie get it serviced at time of returning / near to that time as well to ensure it has had 2 services).

When asked, it is also in the terms that this service has to be at a VW dealership apparently. So I asked how much a service was and how much extra a month on PCH would it be if I included a service and maintenance package.

It will actually save me money now and I get maintenance included as well now - ie bulbs, wipers etc - the only thing I will have to pay for is tyres, so at 8k miles a year and subject to a nail or blow out of course, I am unlikely to have to replace the tyres and even then all I would have to do is put legal ones of the same size and speed rating (so ie the cheapest) if I do have to replace a tyre and I don't have to worry about replacing with sealing ones etc

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have had several new diesel Volkswagens and always requested to get them set to Long Life services schedule. I believe all diesel VWs come pre filled with long life (fully synthetic) oil. It was recommended to run it on Long Life schedule initially and see what the on-car system advises. You then can see if you want to keep it on Long Life or change to Time and Distance. I believe garages tend to sway buyers towards Time and Distance (more money for them).

·
Registered
63 Posts
rockman2 is correct in his statement about what the VWs are delivered with. I have requested Long Life service as I drive 16000 per year, and was told that is the default. However I find that it requires a service about 18000-19000. It also monitors oil quality and may ask for an oil change before the service interval. On my current Passat it shows it in the service info on the dashboard. What happens is that, when you start up, it will start to warn you that a service is due. This is normally about 1500 miles before it is due. I have gone past it by a couple of hundred of miles before when I didn't try to book the service early enough, but it's not really a problem. There will be a substantial margin of safety to ensure the cars are not damaged in any way, but I try to keep to what it tells me.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am contemplating the maintenance and tyres package for my 2 year lease. comes to around 280 quid over the two years.

But, If the tyres are road legal at the end of the lease (20K), will I be charged for "warn tyres". I see that as fair wear and tear?

Looks like good value if I have to have it serviced too at 12/15K too?

·
Registered
953 Posts
My car was pdi'd in July and I picked it up on the 10th Oct so I'd lost 3 months of the dash countdown after a few days of the car dinging and warning me that service was overdue and agreeing with the garage that was not needed until october , I reset the schedule by pressing the 0/0 button on the dash as per manual

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
On my S3 I had longlife servicing set up by mistake by the dealer and that came up for needing a service at 9 months for my driving conditions and style so I always set mine you yearly.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Just checked mine. Book confirms mines set for 18,000 variable. For various reasons, I've only done 1300 miles since new in July. Infotainment screen confirms variable schedule, 18,000 miles, but also says 8,000 miles or 206 days to service.

I assume its adjusted the service interval based on the low mileage I've done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts