Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, as per the topic, my wife and I (and of course our son) are making the move to Oz after months of discussion. The question now is should I get my Tig containered over to Oz (from the UK) or should I simply get another upon our arrival? Not sure what the spec differences are (if any?) and would my Tig be covered by VW's warranty in Oz (it's only 9 months old).

Anybody with any experience or knows somebody that has gone through this process, any tips would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,582 Posts
I dont know what it would cost to container a Tig to Oz, but I'm guessing plenty of your 'Fosters tokens'.
If that's the case, then you must work out:
1. How much will you get if you sell your Tig in the UK ?
2. Would the depreciation be more than shipping cost ?
3. Would you be able to spec a new Tig with the same options ?
4. If you do need to add lots of options, would it then be cheaper to ship it ?
5. And finally, as you say, would the OZ dealers respect the warranty

You could always drive it ;) , but it probably wouldn't be worth anything by the time you get there, plus it would cost a fortune :lol: :lol: :lol:

Steve

·
Registered
185 Posts
JRSTIGSEL said:
So, as per the topic, my wife and I (and of course our son) are making the move to Oz after months of discussion. The question now is should I get my Tig containered over to Oz (from the UK) or should I simply get another upon our arrival? Not sure what the spec differences are (if any?) and would my Tig be covered by VW's warranty in Oz (it's only 9 months old).

Anybody with any experience or knows somebody that has gone through this process, any tips would be appreciated!
I would say your biggest concern should be the warranty. I would think its not an international warranty and the warranty you have would only be covered by VW UK.

There's also going to be import duties to pay over and above the shipping costs.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Plus if you're moving there permanently, sounds like it, how will this effect resale when you finally move on.

·
Registered
953 Posts
cabby09 said:
JRSTIGSEL said:

I would say your biggest concern should be the warranty. I would think its not an international warranty and the warranty you have would only be covered by VW UK.

There's also going to be import duties to pay over and above the shipping costs.
Don't know about Australia but when you drive on the continent and have a problem you have to pay for the repair and claim back the amount from VW when you return home
But as far as resilience value when you see how many cars are just left on the side of the road red rusty, I think they just drive them into the ground

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think you had better contact customs in Oz and find out if you are allowed to import it. There are strict vehicle age rules and our own design and safety rules guiding car imports by individuals. We also get a model in Oz that I don't think you guys see, it has the 162KW GTI Golf motor in it with 4 motion/seven speed DSG. The cars here come with only two option packs and do not have a long accessory list at all. VWA website

https://www.volkswagen.com.au/en.html?&gclid=CJ-yi_jy2NQCFRwEKgodZP4E6A&mkwid=sNjLdHxbF_189669803161_volkswagen%20australia_e_c&mtid=27891kna54764&slid=&product_id=

I wouldn't bother if I were you, buy here and get a full unconditional warranty. You might be able to buy before you arrive here to alleviate the wait time if the vehicle you want to buy is not in the country as lead times are about six months or even longer at the moment. Another thing about buying in Oz is the newer cars here do not rust at all as a rule. If I was offered a car that had seen one winter in the UK I wouldn't touch it with someone else's money let alone spend any of mine on it.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Chris said:
I think you had better contact customs in Oz and find out if you are allowed to import it. There are strict vehicle age rules and our own design and safety rules guiding car imports by individuals. We also get a model in Oz that I don't think you guys see, it has the 162KW GTI Golf motor in it with 4 motion/seven speed DSG. The cars here come with only two option packs and do not have a long accessory list at all. VWA website

https://www.volkswagen.com.au/en.html?&gclid=CJ-yi_jy2NQCFRwEKgodZP4E6A&mkwid=sNjLdHxbF_189669803161_volkswagen%20australia_e_c&mtid=27891kna54764&slid=&product_id=

I wouldn't bother if I were you, buy here and get a full unconditional warranty. You might be able to buy before you arrive here to alleviate the wait time if the vehicle you want to buy is not in the country as lead times are about six months or even longer at the moment. Another thing about buying in Oz is the newer cars here do not rust at all as a rule. If I was offered a car that had seen one winter in the UK I wouldn't touch it with someone else's money let alone spend any of mine on it.
I suppose Chris is right if your looking at buying a new car in 3 years who's going to buy a inport? And then you've got to look at things like the sat nav updating possibly radio? And then the idiot mechanic who's going to say that he's got to order the bit from the UK when it goes wrong

·
Registered
936 Posts
I think the biggest problem IF you can import it is that no one here likes to buy UK imports because of potential rust problems. Put simply our cars do not rust which I suspect anyone in the UK might find hard to believe. I doubt any car sold here in the last ten years unless it has been in a flood or some other catastrophe will have zero or undetectable corrosion in it as we don't have snow and ice except in very small parts of the country.

I don't think getting parts for it would be an issue, it's a VW and unless it is a bi turbo diesel the cars here are all basically the same. The big diesel is not imported due to heat restrictions on its use. PM me if you think I can be of further assistance.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Folks, thanks very much for all your replies. I think Chris (above) has made my mind up...I'm not going to bother and instead order one before our arrival in Oz. Chris, not sure what supply issues are like in WA? Do you think placing an order before our arrival is the way to go in your opinion?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I wouldn't leap into buying a Tiguan for a couple of reasons, firstly where you intend living and working and secondly where you intend driving it. If you are going to live in metro Perth or the south east of the state and do not intend to drive it into remote areas the Tiguan will be a good car because it will have dealer support in those areas. If you are going to be living and driving in remote areas then forget it. If the latter is the case then the Generic Toyota/Nissan/Mitsubishi is the go to vehicle because they can be fixed (as a rule) in the more remote areas and are far more capable off road. On that basis it might be a good idea to wait until you get here. I think you really are brave moving to another country and buying before you get here could prove a mistake that just complicates things. Email a Perth dealer if you feel that is the way you want to go, I am in NSW so a long way from Perth and I have never been there. You do realise how hot it is don't you?

·
Registered
627 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chris said:
I wouldn't leap into buying a Tiguan for a couple of reasons, firstly where you intend living and working and secondly where you intend driving it. If you are going to live in metro Perth or the south east of the state and do not intend to drive it into remote areas the Tiguan will be a good car because it will have dealer support in those areas. If you are going to be living and driving in remote areas then forget it. If the latter is the case then the Generic Toyota/Nissan/Mitsubishi is the go to vehicle because they can be fixed (as a rule) in the more remote areas and are far more capable off road. On that basis it might be a good idea to wait until you get here. I think you really are brave moving to another country and buying before you get here could prove a mistake that just complicates things. Email a Perth dealer if you feel that is the way you want to go, I am in NSW so a long way from Perth and I have never been there. You do realise how hot it is don't you?
Thanks for your advice Chris, again I'm going to take your advice and leave buying until our arrival in Oz. We intend on living on the outskirts of Perth near our friends who live around 40 minutes outside Perth city centre. I think it is going to be a Tiguan given I know the vehicle already and like it. I will probably avoid the Japanese vehicles mainly because I question their build quality.

And in answer to your point about how hot it is...yes fully aware as we have been over in the height of summer and the depths of winter...beats UK weather any day!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Don't knock Japanese quality especially Toyota, I might own a Tiguan but reality says that that the QC between VW and the three main Japanese manufacturers is not that great and I think Toyota were the study that VW took on when they decided to up their game. The reality is that if you are travelling in Oz to remote locations the Tiguan will be a potential liability and I for one would not even consider it for a bet. Lives get lost out there because of vehicle problems and I don't say that lightly as it happens if not often then enough to be considered.

We do not get some stuff you get in the UK or Europe, no Dyna Audio, no HUD etc. As I said before we do get the GTI Golf motor which I don't think is available over there and which I have. As a rule manual gearboxes are very seldom bought and most models have the new active dash with LED headlights. Go to the VWA website and you can build an Oz spec car and see what you think. Best of luck with you relocation, this is a great country to live in and travelling in it will amaze you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts