Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following the government's announcement to stop the sale of all new petrol and diesel cars by 2040 and the likelihood of increasing levels of legislation and taxation levelled at diesel engines- should we be dumping our diesel cars before they are worthless?

·
Registered
835 Posts
No.
They have to sort out all the charging points first.
Depending on how quick one charge will take. they wont be able to have petrol stations like they now.
The charging points would have to be on nearly every lamppost.

The new strategy urges local authorities to attempt to reduce emissions at first by fitting the most polluting diesel vehicles with filters, changing road lay-outs and removing speed humps.
http://news.sky.com/story/petrol-and-diesel-cars-banned-from-uk-roads-by-2040-10962075

·
Registered
555 Posts
Definitely not, apart from the point made by Negativepitch, there is not the infrastructure in place from a power generation point of view if everyone went electric. It will take many years to get that in place and the only viable source would be nuclear. Hydrogen fuel cell seemed the better technology but is still in infancy. It's another case of the politicians coming up with a plan and the technologists and engineers having to knuckle down to deliver.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I'll be producing my own hydrogen by then 6 foot under no doubt :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
Introduce a standard battery requirement and battery swapping stations at current fuel garages.

What I'm worried about now is the fuel companies increasing and increasing costs of diesel and petrol and slowly closing places because they will want to milk us for as much money as possible before they no longer have customers...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
446 Posts
Fuel prices don't tend to work like that though, demand keeps prices high, if nobody buys it then theoretically the price should stay low. At the moment there's no real credible alternative to petrol/diesel, so when there is more choice it's more competitive.

2040 is a long time off. And it's the sale of petrol/diesel cars, so there'll still be loads on the road and in use. It's also an aim and will not by a strict deadline if infrastructure and costs for electric cars is not sorted well before then.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I am confused!!

I read in the international newspaper a few days ago that the UK government has scrapped the plans for rail electrification in parts of the UK, a well proven technology for powering trains, trams and buses. I then read to day that the UK will stop the sale of diesel and petrol cars by 2040, has the UK already resolved the many issues/questions over electric powered cars, cost, range, charging, disposal of fuel cells, increase in power stations (non carbon emitting) to cope with the ever increasing demand for electric. Or has the UK found better solution to electric that can be in place in 23 years? What about heavy goods vehicles that emit far more damaging fumes than a car which are ever increasingly present on Europes road networks.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't plan on keeping my car longer than 3 years so, whilst I applaud what the UK is doing (although we could be doing it faster), I don't think it is worth worrying about unless you plan to keep your car for 23 years. And I doubt anyone on here will do that. They're nice and everything but not really what you'd call a timeless design for the ages.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's all political spin... The UK is perilously close to negative equity on our electrical energy capability due to the decommissioning of many old power stations and the slow building of new ones - there's already a threat that we might have power cuts if (when) demand outstrips supply at current levels let alone when everybody has to plug in the car every night.
As said above, they're happy enough to run with diesel trains ad-infinitum, so why should cars be any different. All just a way of bumping in extra taxes on these nasty polluting fossil fuel cars ! :x

G

·
It's all a plot to get us on our bikes. I suspect Sustrans is behind it...

It all comes back to overpopulation. And never mind fossil fuels there is a crisis looming over potable water.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have yet to see a electric car that can tow? So all you twiggy owners with caravans have sh1t out, And the charging points they showed on tv were £2.50 per hour, not cheap when you work out how far you'll go on a hours charge? And can you see anybody going on a 3 or 4 hundred mile holiday and having to charge the car every services they get to wIth a few hours sat around waiting for your car to charge, and that's if you can get a charging point?? And one that works??
Suggest you watch grand tour I think it was the last or last but one when James may went from London to Devon, had to charge twice and he had a backup petrol engine??? To defeat the object

·
Registered
182 Posts
Let's take one step at a time...we haven't got the hybrid Tiguan yet..? we can swap to that as a starting point. It will probably cost more than the 240 diesel...which makes it unaffordable for most people.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Miket said:
I have yet to see a electric car that can tow? So all you twiggy owners with caravans have sh1t out, And the charging points they showed on tv were £2.50 per hour, not cheap when you work out how far you'll go on a hours charge? And can you see anybody going on a 3 or 4 hundred mile holiday and having to charge the car every services they get to wIth a few hours sat around waiting for your car to charge, and that's if you can get a charging point?? And one that works??
Suggest you watch grand tour I think it was the last or last but one when James may went from London to Devon, had to charge twice and he had a backup petrol engine??? To defeat the object
You're talking about 2017 though, this proposal is for 2040 where if it's going to work, charging could take minutes and range should match or exceed normal fuel tank range. Or it could be by then a compact nuclear sourcec that never needs charging and will do 100,000miles :lol:

Electric will be great for towing IF the range and charging is sorted, max torque from nothing!

·
Registered
66 Posts
:lol: Could you imagine a Electric car pulling a caravan?? I was ready to pull the trigger on the 190ps Diesel engine but now I'm thinking petrol 2.0 tsi?? Do you really think USA & China keeping to this fuel ban😤? Looks like our road tax will be on the way up.....😬

·
Registered
953 Posts
c_w said:
Miket said:
You're talking about 2017 though, this proposal is for 2040 where if it's going to work, charging could take minutes and range should match or exceed normal fuel tank range. Or it could be by then a compact nuclear sourcec that never needs charging and will do 100,000miles :lol:

Electric will be great for towing IF the range and charging is sorted, max torque from nothing!
Charging take minutes I don't think so? Unless you get struck by lightening :eek: :eek: :eek: but I suppose the guys who will be driving electric cars then will have grown up with electric peddle cars, but in my case if I'm still around I'll be in my 90s so I'll be using electric transport, mobility scooter :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I also doubt that the "cleaner" diesels that meet current emission standards will be targeted any time soon. I read today that the Government are also looking to improve traffic light phasing and remove traffic calming measures to improve traffic flow and therefore reduce emissions which seems like a sensible approach. I do hope that there will be special dispensation for classic cars.

·
Registered
446 Posts
There seems a penchant by Highways to install lights at any opportunity, providing congestion where free flowing roundabouts previously existed. So many sets of traffics lights should just be switched off permanently!

Miket said:
Charging take minutes I don't think so? Unless you get struck by lightening :eek: :eek: :eek: but I suppose the guys who will be driving electric cars then will have grown up with electric peddle cars, but in my case if I'm still around I'll be in my 90s so I'll be using electric transport, mobility scooter :lol: :lol:
FFS I mean in 2040. Think about how technology improves, in a quarter of a century's time you've no idea what battery tech and charging will be like by then.

Toyota Working on Electric Cars That Charge in Minutes for 2022 -Solid-state batteries are the key.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/news/a27468/toyota-solid-state-batteries-electric-cars-2022/

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/130380-future-batteries-coming-soon-charge-in-seconds-last-months-and-power-over-the-air
Graphene car batteries
Graphene batteries are the future. One company has developed a new battery, called Grabat, that could offer electric cars a driving range of up to 500 miles on a charge.

Graphenano, the company behind the development, says the batteries can be charged to full in just a few minutes. It can charge and discharge 33 times faster than lithium ion. Discharge is also crucial for things like cars that want vast amounts of power in order to pull away quickly.

·
Registered
238 Posts
What will the theiving bastwards do to replace the 30 billion in taxes raised from fossil fuel powered motorists?

Where do they think all the copper/lithium/rare earth metals wil come from?

25 years ago I was driving a diesel Vectra, something I'd be reasonably content to drive about in (a newly made version of!) Now. Can't see my Tig turning into an emission free transporter pod in the next 20 odd years.

And as for an electric SUV? Some people really just don't get it do they?

Panic? Personally, I'm thankful that my Tig is leased, so I really don't care what it's "worth" in 3 years time, that will be VWs problem!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well like they did with diesel prices, when everybody bought diesel the price went up, a bit like LPG, there will be a tax on something somewhere to maintain income!

Some of the batteries being developed may have less reliance on those kind of rare materials.

I don't think the type of car has anything to do with it, when we think of electric cars at the moment, most people think of some tinny small city car, but Tesla already produce a 4-door saloon that's as quick as a Ferrari. And Ferrari themselves, along with Porsche, McLaren etc already produce some kind of hybrid car. If a hypercar can be part electric (whilst it's just a nod to electric power rather than the main power source admittedly) I don't see why a car like the Tiguan wouldn't be [in the future [when the tech is properly sorted[in 2040[a long time away[not next week[or in 3 yrs time]]]]]]

I'd prefer to keep a proper engine, but that is current thinking mainly due to the lack of credibility of electric cars for range, cost and charge times/ports, but another big part for me is the sound from a nice multi cylinder petrol engine (I'd be glad when the day comes I never have to listen to a VAG 4cyl diesel though! lol).

·
Registered
66 Posts
When we all turn to electric 2040-2050 they'll start saying the old batteries in the cars are damaging the earth because there so many?? 😂

1 - 20 of 53 Posts