Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
We recent got a new Tiguan TDI with regular remote and key.
I often go windsurfing and have the age-old problem of locking car/where to stash remote/key.

Not had a VW before so not sure of best solution.
My previous car had a keypad on door and the one before that, I could use a skeleton key on a cord around my neck, although the alarm would go off each time I opened the door and had to be silenced with the remote.

My preference is a non-electronic key I can wear around my neck. Is this possible and if so, how do I go about getting one?
Alternatively, does anyone have another likely solution?

I did try to search for this unsuccessfully, so apologies if it has been covered before.

Many thanks

·
Registered
202 Posts
Put it in plastic bag!

·
Registered
48 Posts
there are loads of waterproof pouches that you can get off the Internet or outdoor stores, try stores like decathlon.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I got one off eBay and believe it or not all the guy required was a photo of the cars key and yes it did work, it didn't have the electrics on it to start or remote unlock, the only thing to watch is don't try starting the engine with it as the engine will start for a few seconds then stop then you'll get a error light on the dash and have to get the car diagnosed to remove the light

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm a windsurfer to and usually just hide the key. I have used a water tight pouch, but I'm always terrified of it getting lost.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Trouble is if you go and get one cut so that all you need to do is unlock the door and get in, if you have keyless entry and the main key is left hidden in the car I believe I read somewhere that the doors will not lock and if they do...I'm sure it will just unlock when someone tries the door...

Also, if you don't leave the main key in the car, I assume the key should communicate with the car to make sure the immobiliser hasn't kicked in otherwise the car wont start...

Therefore I believe your only option is the waterproof pouches.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
As you stated you have a regular remote, kessy is not an issue. I'm sure most key cutting places could provide a metal key cut to lock / open the doors, then you just need to find somewhere safe to hide the full key.

The end cap of the drivers door handle comes off (there's a key sized pry slot underneath it) and there's a regular key slot beneath this for the metal key.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Have you tried one of these key safes? I find this sort of gadget very useful, for car and boat keys etc...
£25

https://www.boardshop.co.uk/northcore-keypod-5g-key-safe-black?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2LjGBRDYm9jj5JSxiJcBEiQAwKWAC-lajFWqAoFFxNFl4s6Lk2etbgn306M_PpMOPMLMfJEaAkAp8P8HAQ

PRODUCT DETAILS

The ALL NEW North Core 5th Generation KEYPOD builds upon the qualities of the original design but is now even more secure. KEYPOD remains a simple, robust, portable, weather resistant, secure storage safe for keys and other valuables designed to deter would be thieves so that they move on to an easier target. But it now blends a FOUR digit combination padlock with an integrated storage cavity which is large enough to hold all known modern electronic vehicle keys (and keyless keys), household keys, spare change, credit cards and even some mobile phones.

The 10mm thick padlock shackle now has added dual notches at the either side of the shackle base to stop it being forced open and the storage lid now pivots from the base and has a stronger fastening mechanism. Just place in your keys etc, choose a solid anchor point on the car to secure the padlock shackle, close the lid and shackle and set the combination. Safe keys!

As KEYPOD is portable it can be secured anywhere on your vehicle, for example on the suspension coil, towing eye, under the car body anywhere that there's a secure point to attach the padlock shackle to. Although KEYPOD doesn't just have to be left on the car, choose any secure place to attach it and off you go!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tricky said:
As you stated you have a regular remote, kessy is not an issue. I'm sure most key cutting places could provide a metal key cut to lock / open the doors, then you just need to find somewhere safe to hide the full key.

The end cap of the drivers door handle comes off (there's a key sized pry slot underneath it) and there's a regular key slot beneath this for the metal key.
Thank you for all the replies.
I've been windsurfing since 1990 and have tried quite a few 'Aqua pack' type pouches. I can't explain the PITA it is when they leak or you lose it!
Other surf forums have said the lock boxes are like catnip to car thieves these days. I have used them many moons ago.
My favoured solution is to use the skeleton or 'surf' key as some refer to, on a cord around my neck.
Now I just need to find a local auto locksmith who can provide one (or a shady bloke from eBay!)

I assume from the internet that the alarm will go off when opening the door with a skeleton key and it is turned off with the normal remote?

Cheers

·
Registered
485 Posts
badgb21 said:
Tricky said:

Thank you for all the replies.
I've been windsurfing since 1990 and have tried quite a few 'Aqua pack' type pouches. I can't explain the PITA it is when they leak or you lose it!
Other surf forums have said the lock boxes are like catnip to car thieves these days. I have used them many moons ago.
My favoured solution is to use the skeleton or 'surf' key as some refer to, on a cord around my neck.
Now I just need to find a local auto locksmith who can provide one (or a shady bloke from eBay!)

I assume from the internet that the alarm will go off when opening the door with a skeleton key and it is turned off with the normal remote?

Cheers
Where would you keep the normal remote? I'm sure I read that the car won't lock with a key inside, but maybe that's just the key-less ones.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Yup, that's just the keyless ones....

Mine's a Mk1, but I've locked the car with the physical key in the slot in the handle, with not only a full remote key (not KESSY) in the car, but in the ignition and the engine running.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tricky said:
Yup, that's just the keyless ones....

Mine's a Mk1, but I've locked the car with the physical key in the slot in the handle, with not only a full remote key (not KESSY) in the car, but in the ignition and the engine running.
Seems the 2016 model has a new key blade profile and there aren't (can't find) a suitable blank blade with a loop on the blade header.
I'm sure these will become available in time, but right now it seems a regular key blank fitted into an empty remote case or a loop welded to it, is the only option.
A new un-programmed remote around £80.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've been kayaking, surfing and bodyboarding for the last 15 years and never had a problem. I put the key inside a small knotted freezer bag and do the same again another two times. I then store the key in an internal pocket in my wetsuit. Cheap, simple and reliable. I estimate that I've successfully used this method approximately 1,000 times without trouble. I've had friends who have used different versions of the commercial 'plastic key holders' but they eventually develop wear lines and you never know when they will start to leak. 3 new small freezer bags cost next to nothing, maybe 10p

·
Registered
220 Posts
The new Range Rover Discovery has the option of a water proof wrist band that will unlock the vehicle when you hold your wrist to it.

I wish the Tiguan had this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
JJ1 said:
The new Range Rover Discovery has the option of a water proof wrist band that will unlock the vehicle when you hold your wrist to it.

I wish the Tiguan had this.
Latest is I hope to get a key blade cut and drill a hole through the top, with a key ring, this should give enough leverage to unlock door and wear around my neck. I'll post up how it goes as some kind of conclusion!

The Land Rover does sound very cool.
I had a Ford Edge in the US and like many Fords it has a number pad on the door - very convenient, but not sure how secure?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally got sorted with a suitable key I can wear around my neck when out on the water.
Doesn't appear to set the alarm off when opening either, which I had expected, though only tested it a few times so far.
Ben at Key in the post got me sorted;
https://keysinthepost.com

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all

Sorry to bring up such an old post.

I'm just about to purchase a SEL (non-KESSY), looking forward to it, my first non "it'll have to do for now...".

I too am a surfer/runner and have been wondering about the Tiguan's ability to be mechanically locked. I've tried the waterproof bags but found them to be a bit of a nuisance and the locking cases that attach to cars I imagine would seem inviting to thieves.

My plan is to have a blade cut as per badgb21 but then weld a permanent head to the top. I've seen the plastic VW surf keys which i may also consider, anyone have any experience with those? I assume the cut wears away relatively quickly.

For the key-hole plastic cover/cap, I don't like the thought of constantly removing/re-fitting. Does anyone know if you can get versions of these with the holes already in place? If not then I will purchase an OEM and perform some surgery.

I have also read that when you open a VW with the mechanical key the alarm goes off. My assumption would be that when you have locked the car with only the mechanical key, the alarm is not enabled, so when you then unlock with the mechanical key the alarm doesn't go off. Can anyone confirm this?

Thanks all, I will keep this updated with how it all goes.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts