Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I am just getting used to the new vehicle.

However, I have only just looked under the boot tray and was surprised to find a spare wheel/tyre. I thought that run flats were used on this vehicle (so didn't expect to have a spare tyre). Also, I read somewhere that it was an optional extra having a spare tyre.

Does that mean when the tyres are worn I can just get normal ones? £115 vs. £160 + a corner!!

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi PWVWT2017,

My understanding is VW fit fit self seal tyres now and only to cars that do not have a spare wheel. So if you have a spare wheel I would check what type of tyre you have fitted and not presume they are self seal or run flat.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Guys....... The tyres are self sealing as you say 'DeT'.....'even' with spare wheel in the boot.......and the self seal does work as I unfortunately had a 4" nail embedded in my rear near side..... pulled it out no prob's, which is reassuring ;) :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Mine are Pirelli Scorpion Verde and under the Pirelli logo is a symbol and the words seal inside. Hope this helps to confirm/check if you have self seal tyres.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all,

I checked and I have the Conti-seal tyres...

Plus have a spare in the boot, appearing to take up a lot of room!.

To be honest, the boot doesn't look as big as I thought and I am wondering whether by having the spare wheel, mould and kit, this must eat up a lot of litres. Can anyone confirm if the 615 litres they calculate is without a spare? By the way, my seats are all the way forward also. Looks like you can take out the mould, spare, side dividers and the shelf to make the boot a whole lot bigger.

Why would I need the spare if I have Conti-seal tyres, when these must replicate run flats?

I wouldn't throw this away of course - instead, store it safely somewhere.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
PWVWT2017 said:
Hi all,

I checked and I have the Conti-seal tyres...

Plus have a spare in the boot, appearing to take up a lot of room!.

To be honest, the boot doesn't look as big as I thought and I am wondering whether by having the spare wheel, mould and kit, this must eat up a lot of litres. Can anyone confirm if the 615 litres they calculate is without a spare? By the way, my seats are all the way forward also. Looks like you can take out the mould, spare, side dividers and the shelf to make the boot a whole lot bigger.

Why would I need the spare if I have Conti-seal tyres, when these must replicate run flats?

I wouldn't throw this away of course - instead, store it safely somewhere.

Cheers!
Crossed fingers hopefully it may never happen...... :idea: :arrow: :arrow: But what if you have an unfortunate accident trying to avoid something..ie hitting a kerb or object in the road and you seriously damage the wheel by buckling it or a total blowout in the middle of no-where...yes I suppose you could call out breakdown for the blowout...but could they source a wheel that quick :?: :?: ...just a thought.

·
Registered
352 Posts
As I have winter Nokians WR SUV3 (non self seal) now on the rims and my factory fit summer 255/55R18 Pirelli Scorpions Verde are in the garage I can 100% confirm they are self seal.
If anyone wants I can pop in the garage and take a photo how it looks from inside the tyre.

·
Registered
352 Posts
As promised

Tire Furniture Automotive tire Table Tread

As you see the sidewall is not protected. Only a tread pattern area has that sealing layer.

More details on this here

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
^thanks Slim.

My understanding is that they are slightly better than run flats, but harder to come by.

Do you have a spare tyre in your boot or have you removed this? Uses up a hell of a lot of room.

Cheers

·
Registered
352 Posts
PWVWT2017 said:
Do you have a spare tyre in your boot or have you removed this? Uses up a hell of a lot of room.
Yep, driving with the spare tyre especially now when on winter tyres. Better to be safe than sorry, even having VW Driverline.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just been and checked my fitted Hankook tyres and shows up on the sidewall as "seal guard" ...so presume the same self seal benefit as the Contis etc?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ Sounds exactly the same! I had never heard of self-sealing tyres until now.

Still can't let this loss of 100 litres plus go!! The majority of the time it won't be a problem though, but when going away in the UK it would be mighty handy to have the extra room.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts