Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings one and all. Does anyone know if it's possible to get speed cameras on the sat nave systems on the Tiguan, it was very useful to have on my old Tom Tom.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
365 Posts
If you follow the threads above, you will be able to install the speed cameras or if you prefer, there are a number of companies dotted around the UK that will install them for you (for a fee, of course).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
291 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,073 Posts
Be warned though, some speed camera setups beep with cameras on the other side of the road, mine did so i turned it off, on my previous car it would only beep in the direction of travel but on the Tiguan it beeps regardless of travel direction and sometimes after the cameras.

Not sure how good the Tomtom system is, maybe better then the system i loaded onto the Tiguan map so be advised.

I use it as a visual guide but then take into account the camera maybe sooner then the information being given.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
As was said above, the car's speed cameras just beep as you approach in any direction. The tomtom I have is far better - only beeps if you are travelling in the correct direction AND are within the speed threshold (which you can adjust) to trigger cameras. It also updates over wifi every few days with zero hassle. Far better if you have that option, and if you do don't bother putting them on the car system.
 

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
I've mentioned it quite a few times in the past, but as I always use Carplay and not the built in sat nav then putting speed cameras on the infotainment system is no good to me.
I've been subscribing to the Pocketgpsworld CamerAlert app on my iphone for a number of years now, and find it the best database to use.
The app works extremely well and when running will show a moving map, indicating all of the different types of cameras. You can choose to set audible warnings or spoken warnings which will announce the type of camera, and you can preset the different distances to your own personal taste.
You can also specify the direction, so only cameras in your travel direction will appear.

The app's database is updated regularly (usually weekly), and is extremely accurate as users can input their own sightings which will be added to the database, only after more than one sighting is input to avoid false sightings.
The app is available for both iOS and Android.
It is a paid subscription of around £19 a year which for peace of mind and accuracy is, in my opinion, great value!

Check out their website......
https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

User guide for the iOS app....
http://www.cameralert.com/manual/?os=ios

User guide for Android app......
http://www.cameralert.com/manual/?os=android

Steve
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,073 Posts
Essjay said:
I've mentioned it quite a few times in the past, but as I always use Carplay and not the built in sat nav then putting speed cameras on the infotainment system is no good to me.
I've been subscribing to the Pocketgpsworld CamerAlert app on my iphone for a number of years now, and find it the best database to use.
The app works extremely well and when running will show a moving map, indicating all of the different types of cameras. You can choose to set audible warnings or spoken warnings which will announce the type of camera, and you can preset the different distances to your own personal taste.
You can also specify the direction, so only cameras in your travel direction will appear.

The app's database is updated regularly (usually weekly), and is extremely accurate as users can input their own sightings which will be added to the database, only after more than one sighting is input to avoid false sightings.
The app is available for both iOS and Android.
It is a paid subscription of around £19 a year which for peace of mind and accuracy is, in my opinion, great value!

Check out their website......
https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/

User guide for the iOS app....
http://www.cameralert.com/manual/?os=ios

User guide for Android app......
http://www.cameralert.com/manual/?os=android

Steve
Steve,

Do you run this on your mobile phone and mirror link it to your Tiguan screen?
 

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
Hi JK, I'm viewing the app on my iPhone's screen in a vent mount while I run Google maps on the Carplay screen, and I get all of the announcements for both via Bluetooth over the car's system. I believe Mirror link is an Android facility which I'm not familiar with.

Steve
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,073 Posts
Essjay said:
Hi JK, I'm viewing the app on my iPhone's screen in a vent mount while I run Google maps on the Carplay screen, and I get all of the announcements for both via Bluetooth over the car's system. I believe Mirror link is an Android facility which I'm not familiar with.

Steve
OH OK, As you can run the app on Android i was not sure if this is what you were doing, thank you for letting me know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
also if you use apple car play and google maps the cameras are all on there. :D
 

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
chillyman50 said:
also if you use apple car play and google maps the cameras are all on there. :D
Not all of them unfortunately, which is why I use a separate database.

Steve
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,073 Posts
Just a shame that VW database is not that good as other manufactures and third party apps.
 

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
JK-VWTiguanR said:
Just a shame that VW database is not that good as other manufactures and third party apps.
It's the same with most software packages. VW are not a software company so they have to make do with an 'off the shelf' product, and we as users have to make do with it, whereas if you purchase bespoke software designed solely for the purpose you, as the end user needs, from a company that specialises in such applications, you're much more likely to get the accuracy you require.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
I'm not quite sure what's meant by the statement "it's just a a shame that the vw database isn't as good." VW don't actually produce a database.

The vehicle headunit is simply a basic PC for all intents and purposes. Any speed camera or poi database that you may want to load to it is derived from a data supplier. VW don't make databases.

The best and most accurate source of speed camera info is (in my opinion) Pocketgps. They have raw data files on their site that you can use on their own app via your phone, you can use the data to overlay onto google maps or apple maps etc and you can download the data to create your own databases to upload them to the vw headunit, if you have the technical know how. Different devices will give you different functionality, for example their own app or a garmin download would give directional and voice instructions, e.g., speed camera 30mph approaching, and in the specific direction of travel, whereas VW's headunit will just give an audible tone and display on the map when you are near a camera.

It's horses for course really. If you think about it dedicated apps for navigation can have lots of specific tailored development aimed at navigational functionality. VW infotainment units are a lot more than that, they interface with your cars canbus to examine vehicle data, play different media types, have nav, intergarte with vehicle controls, etc etc, so there isn't the depth of development as a dedicated navigation supplier, either hardware of software, I.e Waze etc, would put into their product.

The critical thing is, what's the data source and it's accuracy. My preference is pocketgps, but that requires a subscription. From there I create a database that is readable by the vw headunit and so speed cameras and icons display and I get a tone when I'm near one. I also download the data to a portable garmin device that my wife uses. That also displays the icons on the maps, but gives much better audible info. When near a camer it announces the speed, and type of camera e.g., average, traffics light camera etc and it only does it in the direction of travel. Both are great solutions, but I just like having it all integrated into my headunit and the knowledge that I'm using a good data source which is the most up to date that I'd have found. In terms of updated the headunit, it's a 1 minute job really and I do it every couple of weeks. Pocketgps update their camera database weekly, so any app using their data source could be fractionally out of date, but as I understand it any new cameras that are installed have to be installed, but inactivate for a few weeks, so by the time they are operational the camera info is live on the pocketgps database.

Cheers Axel
 

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
Thank you Axel for expanding in great detail what I had previously alluded to, albeit in a much shorter version. :)

Steve
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,073 Posts
What i meant was as good as others.

I have had other manufactures whose built in sat nav has speed cameras ect that all worked out of the box, yes it will depend on what the manufactures use.

Yes i am aware that VW use third party products but this is what I meant with the comment.

Sorry for any confusion caused.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
3,073 Posts
Axel said:
I'm not quite sure what's meant by the statement "it's just a a shame that the vw database isn't as good." VW don't actually produce a database.

The vehicle headunit is simply a basic PC for all intents and purposes. Any speed camera or poi database that you may want to load to it is derived from a data supplier. VW don't make databases.

The best and most accurate source of speed camera info is (in my opinion) Pocketgps. They have raw data files on their site that you can use on their own app via your phone, you can use the data to overlay onto google maps or apple maps etc and you can download the data to create your own databases to upload them to the vw headunit, if you have the technical know how. Different devices will give you different functionality, for example their own app or a garmin download would give directional and voice instructions, e.g., speed camera 30mph approaching, and in the specific direction of travel, whereas VW's headunit will just give an audible tone and display on the map when you are near a camera.

It's horses for course really. If you think about it dedicated apps for navigation can have lots of specific tailored development aimed at navigational functionality. VW infotainment units are a lot more than that, they interface with your cars canbus to examine vehicle data, play different media types, have nav, intergarte with vehicle controls, etc etc, so there isn't the depth of development as a dedicated navigation supplier, either hardware of software, I.e Waze etc, would put into their product.

The critical thing is, what's the data source and it's accuracy. My preference is pocketgps, but that requires a subscription. From there I create a database that is readable by the vw headunit and so speed cameras and icons display and I get a tone when I'm near one. I also download the data to a portable garmin device that my wife uses. That also displays the icons on the maps, but gives much better audible info. When near a camer it announces the speed, and type of camera e.g., average, traffics light camera etc and it only does it in the direction of travel. Both are great solutions, but I just like having it all integrated into my headunit and the knowledge that I'm using a good data source which is the most up to date that I'd have found. In terms of updated the headunit, it's a 1 minute job really and I do it every couple of weeks. Pocketgps update their camera database weekly, so any app using their data source could be fractionally out of date, but as I understand it any new cameras that are installed have to be installed, but inactivate for a few weeks, so by the time they are operational the camera info is live on the pocketgps database.

Cheers Axel
Axel,

Great explanation.

When you uploaded the PocketGPS to the VW head-unit does it give direction warnings rather then a warning for a camera regardless of what direction your travelling.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
Jk,
Unfortunately no the vw headunit doesn't handle directional info. Vw software interprets the poi as a spatial point around which it draws a radius. So if you enter that radius it audibly warns, direction doesn't matter.

For the likes of garmin etc, their systems do the same, but critically they utilise additional data fields which show the direction of the poi, hence you get a detailed directional warning.

what Essjay wrote wasnt quite correct. The software doesn't have anything to do with accuracy, it's the source data that provides the accuracy and the satellite reception of the hardware. Directional information is derived by utilising more data, something which the firmware in the vw nav is not built to do.

Cheers Axel
 
1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Top