Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,073 Posts
Axel said:
Jk,
Unfortunately no the vw headunit doesn't handle directional info. Vw software interprets the poi as a spatial point around which it draws a radius. So if you enter that radius it audibly warns, direction doesn't matter.

For the likes of garmin etc, their systems do the same, but critically they utilise additional data fields which show the direction of the poi, hence you get a detailed directional warning.

what Essjay wrote wasnt quite correct. The software doesn't have anything to do with accuracy, it's the source data that provides the accuracy and the satellite reception of the hardware. Directional information is derived by utilising more data, something which the firmware in the vw nav is not built to do.

Cheers Axel
Axel,

OK thank you, so the only way to get directional warnings if i am reading right is to use the Pocketgps on your mobile?

Is this correct?

·
Registered
166 Posts
My Garmin dashcam covers the speed cameras but to be honest, the pocketgps is by far more accurate and you can import the database into the discover nav app (easy via carnet) but it isn't directional and doesent give an audible warning that way. I just use waze as there are often other dynamic hazards around including but not restricted to our pals in panda cars

·
Registered
214 Posts
Privatedoc,
Why don't you import the pocketgps cameras into your garmin? There's a guide on pocketgps world and it is very good once done. You get very accurate and up to date cameras, if you do it regularly, plus the audible warning gives the exact detail about camera type, speed etc.

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
Yes Axel you are correct, I apologise for not being more precise, I actually meant that with a bespoke company they are more likely to use the correct/up to date data with their product.

Steve

·
Registered
600 Posts
Essjay said:
chillyman50 said:
also if you use apple car play and google maps the cameras are all on there. :D
I think the best camera checker is also sole by Halford Road Angel. ;)

Not all of them unfortunately, which is why I use a separate database.

Steve

·
Registered
2016 (MY17) 2.0l Tsi SEL
3,585 Posts
Unfortunately the cheapest Road Angel detector is around £200, which would get you 10 years worth of subscription to the Pocketgpsworld database.

Steve

·
Registered
88 Posts
Or you could pay £100 or so and get a tomtom or garmin with lifetime speed camera updates! I have one of each, and the tomtom (admittedly it is a newer model) is the best for camera updates - gets them quite regularly, and they seem to be very accurate. In particular it is brilliant at average speed cameras - it knows the start and finish point of the average camera sections, and displays a rolling-average of your speed between these points. I also find its route selection and all-round navigation skills far better than the built in VW system. In fact, I use them both - the tomtom for navigation, while keeping the map in the car on general overview mode (ie not actively navigating), zoomed out a bit further to see my overall position in the country!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Tomtom is a lot cheaper than it used to be, the IOS version is £12.99 a year, I've been using it for as long as I can remember (Tomtom satnavs before that).

I find the traffic updates are more accurate than most too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Agreed about the traffic updates for tomtoms - in fact, I find it astonishing how accurate it is, start and finish points precise to less than 100m, and estimated delays usually spot on. My tomtom is a standalone device, but the traffic updates come to the device over my phone (no subscription required - all covered in the one off price of the device, and they cover all of Europe also).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Also to add, I wasn't overly impressed with the 1st version of the Carplay app, it is better now with current speed shown.

What it does miss is the ability to report mobile speed cameras, this is available on the phone version (you do receive notifications in Carplay) but it lacks the ablity to report.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Axel said:
Privatedoc,
Why don't you import the pocketgps cameras into your garmin? There's a guide on pocketgps world and it is very good once done. You get very accurate and up to date cameras, if you do it regularly, plus the audible warning gives the exact detail about camera type, speed etc.
Can you import into the garmin dashcam?? is so , I'll try tonight...thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Pretty sure you can import pois into the garmin dashcam. You use the poiloader app provided by garmin. That app loads them to the poi folder in the camera, as it does to a nav unit.

Instructions are all provided on pocketgps world. That site tells you what file types and voice files to load. That way you get very detailed camera notifications as you're driving along.

Cheers Axel

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks Axel !

·
Registered
4 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Greetings one and all. Does anyone know if it's possible to get speed cameras on the sat nave systems on the Tiguan, it was very useful to have on my old Tom Tom.
, it is not possible. use google maps, they are on there and superior to the in car nav. which is pretty poor. buy road angel or TT.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts