Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so now that I got my order under way and I've ordered the 20 miramar alloys (which do look good), I see my order has sports suspension as part of the alloys.

So my question is (given than we test drove an SE Nav with 18" and non- sport suspension and it seem perfectly nice to me) does anyone have experience with the sports suspension? Does it really impact the ride (with 20" alloys)?

Is it the same as RLine sport suspension?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Is this another option that you have been charged for as I didn't think it was a necessity to have the Sports suspension with the larger alloy on the SEL.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not request it but it's on my order as optional extra (I was not charged for it either).
When I queried it, the sales manager said it comes with the 20") alloys

This is on the SEL, yes

·
Registered
342 Posts
Wouldn't take it myself though I'd look for a SEL with 20's or the R line (I assume the set up is the same) and get a test drive pronto.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hi, I have the 20" Miramars and wanted the sports suspension - the result it very good; smooth ride but handles well round corners. Really rough roads can be a bit hard but if you want jello suspension then a Disco would have been the option (I got travel sick driving one after 500m).

Feels almost like my old Merc C class with AMG suspension

Cheers
Earl

·
Registered
446 Posts
I find these days with torsional stiffness being high on modern cars that "sports"/firm suspension only has a small trade off in ride quality for a big increase in roadholding/feel (and looks with a slight ride height reduction). As long as it's not crashy then it should be fine (which it sounds like it is).

I test drove an A6 S-Line Black Edition which comes with 20" wheels back to back with an A6 SE on 17" wheels and the difference was only marginal considering the huge balloon tyres on the 17" and softer/higher suspension.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Maybe not relevant but my RLine which has sport suspension as standard and 20 inch alloys is a very comfortable smooth ride.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK so mainly the view is (so far) that 'the ride is a little bit harsher, but the handling is significantly improved and worth it

Obviously the 20" wheels look mighty cool as well :)

Therefore I shouldn't have to worry but the sounds of things?

·
Registered
433 Posts
I wouldn't describe the ride as harsh more like confident and positive.

·
Registered
446 Posts
luxormoonprince said:
OK so mainly the view is (so far) that 'the ride is a little bit harsher, but the handling is significantly improved and worth it

I wouldn't worry, it's a brand new car with factory sport suspension and OE wheels - it won't ride like a MK4 Golf on 19s and lowering springs :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
+1 with what Timbo is saying 5,000 miles in 6 months and only once did I think I hit a really bad patch of road ? :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi luxormoonprince,

I don't believe you had to have the sports suspension with the 20" alloys - I specified both on mine in the end, but I had built a config on the VW web site (and got a quote from VW) with the larger wheels, but not the sports suspension.

Anyway, personally I don't think you've got anything to worry about as I took delivery of my SEL with sports suspension and Miramar alloys at the weekend and have been very pleased so far. Obviously I've not done thousands of miles yet, but took the car for a spin around the New Forest on Sunday, which included Motorway miles to get there, plenty of A and B roads and some very gentle off roading (a gravel car park ! :D ) once there.
Yes, the ride is firm, but it's never crashy (unlike some older 'sporty' VAG products) and gives plenty of confidence through the twisty stuff. Don't forget you'll have 45 section tyres, so still plenty of rubber to absorb some of the nastier bumps.

Finally, the wheels and slightly lowered stance help the looks - see members gallery of mine if you're interested :)

Hope that helps

Rob

·
Registered
328 Posts
Will be interesting to see how the DCC measures up in terms of the differences between the settings. Hopefully finding out next week when I collect my car.

Our outgoing SEAT Alhambra is the Stylance model that has low profile tyres and stiffer suspension. Whilst this drives very well for it's size and weight on a decent smooth road it's not too good on the MX tracks that make up a lot of the roads around where we live. I fully appreciate the benefits when the surface is smooth though, it drives like a tighter, lighter car. I have, maybe high, hopes that the DCC will offer the best of both Worlds. Guess I'm about to find out...

·
Registered
34 Posts
c_w said:
luxormoonprince said:

I wouldn't worry, it's a brand new car with factory sport suspension and OE wheels - it won't ride like a MK4 Golf on 19s and lowering springs :)
:lol:

·
Registered
244 Posts
I opted for the sport suspension, albeit on the standard SEL 19" wheels, and the ride is perfect for me. A lot of my passengers have also commented how comfortable it is, even on the third world quality of roads that we have in these here parts.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have DCC and do use sport on twisty roads but don't bother on motorways or in town. I am fine with it but my wife hates it and keeps telling me to revert to normal. I wonder if you feel the bumps more as a passenger than when you are driving?

·
Registered
328 Posts
salmonfisher said:
I have DCC and do use sport on twisty roads but don't bother on motorways or in town. I am fine with it but my wife hates it and keeps telling me to revert to normal. I wonder if you feel the bumps more as a passenger than when you are driving?
I think what the driver perceives as positive feedback and feeling the road the passenger feels as irritating bumps. Especially someone prioritises comfort over handling.

Glad to hear that DCC does make a marked difference to the feel of the car, I can see me using it quite a bit for switching between modes depending on mood and road type as well as having the wife on board or not :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi. Not sure if its the right place for my question since new to focum.

I am about to order the new tiguan 1.4 tsi 150psi act FWD with 18inch alloys. I see that there is an option to choose the Sport Suspension which lowes the car about 2cm.

I drove the 1.4 without the sport suspsntions from the dealer in my country and it feels fine at low speeds. Nevertheless, it is a bit bumpy and brings noise when falling into small bumps. Furthermore, when I pushed the car a bit on an uphill road, the front wheels bumped a bit before the ESP stoped them and the car started to roll fine again.

Based on the above, I have 2 questions:
1. If I choose to go with the sport suspention whould the uphill bumping spinning be better or eliminated?
2. I believe that it will become more firm and the handlings a bit better but will it be much more bumpy? because I would not like that!

I was thinking maybe to leave the original suspention and add a good aftermaker one if I see that I need it.

What do you think?

Please note that my previous car was a bmw e92. So I am used to low sport suspention.
I chose the tiguan since I am older now and I am tired of the bumpy and hard suspensions.
I prefer a suspention that whould be gentle but it will handle well and be a bit sporty, not much.

I also did a test drive of the X1. I found the suspension very nice and right what I wanted to be honest. Just to give you an example of what I am looking for with regards to suspension.

Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts