Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't think it was possible in an automatic but I actually "stalled" the car yesterday...

Has anyone else found that the Auto stop start cuts out before the auto hill hold/park brake comes on sometimes?

I am not overly concerned about it, but just wanted to check with others. I do say "stalled" it with a little tongue in cheek, but basically I was coming to a nice leisurely stop at a red light, foot off gas, braking slightly and was probably 'creeping' to a stop just as the lights changed - went to press the accelerator and the engine cuts out just at the time I touch the accelerator, I get my foot half way down on accelerator and still nothing. Lifted foot, pressed it again and engine starts as normal and off I go - this all happened very quickly but wife and I laughed saying that I had "stalled" the car.

I have noticed a few times though that as I come to a stop behind a car the engine cuts out before I have actually totally stopped / the park brake comes on.

Anyone experience anything similar?

Is it just my driving style and getting used to the auto or is it an area of concern?

I will keep an eye on it going forward.

Regards,

·
Registered
207 Posts
Hi Bhuna
This is normal. Auto stop is designed to cut in when the vehicle is still travelling at 1 to 2 miles per hour. Seems crazy buts that's how it's design.
Cheers
Roy

·
Registered
485 Posts
Depends on how hard you press the brake pedal. I've got to be a dab hand at braking just enough to slow down or even stop without the Autostop or Autohold engaging. When I want the "hand brake", I just press a little harder.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Roy - sounds like its normal then - just a matter of timing on my part at that particular time / junction. To think I had RTFM through once already - must have missed it.

Breezer - yes - I have done that a few times, its just the first time it "stalled" on me with my foot on the accelerator.

I'll get used to it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Don't think that's anything to do with the car being automatic. It's the way start/stop works. My current Renault Megane (manual) sometimes has a similar issue where it stops automatically at lights or when slowing to a stop just as I start to touch the clutch to start the engine to go again. I have to let the clutch up, go again and away I go.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It's just a rubbish system. Just don't like it, and have found it cuts the car out when making parking maneouvres etc, as well as one time approaching a roundabout just as I wanted to go, power cut and have to wait for it to restart.

Ironically, despite it's aim to be a climate saving device, I think it could well be the opposite and increases congestion due to the amount of cars you see taking longer than usual to set off.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm a long term sceptic of start/stop and dont see it as a climate change saver, more a way for manufacturers to massage emmission compliance. I cannot see how stopping and starting an engine as often is good for it as most wear occurs on start up until oil pressure builds. First thing I do on a car equipped with stop/start is turn the bloody thing off, after a while it just becomes second nature

G

·
Always switch it off! Just wish the switch was on the drivers side of the gear stick so it's not out of sight!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd like to see metrics on how much fuel the auto start-stop system saves in comparison (or whether it does whatsoever). Tempted to permanently shutting it down with the help of VCDS. Seems to me like VW emission shenanigans.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Stop/Start ........... Spawn of the devil. :evil:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Don't know if this has been posted before -

That spawn might be worth getting acquainted with. :lol:

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've noticed it too in the 2 days I've had the car, but now I know what's it's doing have adapted to it pretty easily. Doesn't bother me at all, and as other posters have said, being a little delicate on the braking helps.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Statto1927 said:
I've noticed it too in the 2 days I've had the car, but now I know what's it's doing have adapted to it pretty easily. Doesn't bother me at all, and as other posters have said, being a little delicate on the braking helps.
This! If you can modulate your brake pedal pressure well, it's quite controllable. If you've got a heavy foot, you'll struggle a bit

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all. I have got the hang of the braking etc it was just this one occasion for the "stall".

Hasn't happened again and loving the car.

Even went to a BBq yesterday and the wife said "If you want a drink tonight I can drive home as I was drinking at the last do we went to"

My response: "nah it's ok I'll drive"

Not like me at all usually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts