Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had this email

Community information, Warwickshire

There has recently been a number of incidents where Volkswagen cars have been targeted by offenders, both stealing them directly and breaking into properties to steal the keys and then the vehicles.
If you are an owner of a Volkswagen vehicle please review your security arrangements. Wherever possible park it in a garage or where it cannot be seen from the road. If you do not already have it consider installing a tracker device and a good quality alarm system, independent of the vehicle. CCTV and good lighting is also something that can help.
Steering locks can also be an effective deterrent; keep the keys separate to the ignition keys.
If you see anyone acting suspiciously near your property or vehicle please call 101 or 999 if a crime is in progress.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Don't think this applies any more to VW's than any other car. Yes these days thieves are breaking into properties to steal the car keys, keeping them separate or not's pretty irrelevant, except for having to change the house locks if they get stolen, but hey they've already broken in.

Have to say, kessy does make it easier for them, crack the car code there's no mechanical /transponder backup to provide additional security. At least with modern keys you've got to crack the door lock coding, mechanically unlock the steering, and provide the transducer code for the ECU.

Oh and install a second alarm, tracker and cctv? What you need is an invisibility cloak.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Tricky said:
what you need is an invisibility cloak.
Did you not add that option? I'm going to tell the wife that I did - so when she texts me to ask where I am - I can say - sat on the drive in the car - "I cant see you" - " see I told you this cloak is good".

·
Registered
463 Posts
Insurance premiums are a good guide. Companies are not raising premiums for keyless VAG cars. If there not worried nor am I.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quick question on insurance premium. When you get a quote do you have to state all the additional optional bits you have had on the vehicle, so in my case rear camera/park assist) or as it's come straight from factory is it just a Tiguan SEL 2.0.

Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Has anyone added a tracker to their car? I considered it on my previous car and on this one but whilst it may be nice to be able to track it, I'm not entirely sure I'd want it back if it was stolen? :|

I wonder if there's some tracker which can automatically disable the engine if it's driven out of a certain area and the person driving doesn't have some kind of extra fob on them (which you wouldn't keep near the keys, obviously)? The thieves wouldn't know that they would need an extra fob to get away with the car.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bhuna said:
Quick question on insurance premium. When you get a quote do you have to state all the additional optional bits you have had on the vehicle, so in my case rear camera/park assist) or as it's come straight from factory is it just a Tiguan SEL 2.0.

Cheers.
If the extras were fitted at the factory then you don't have to tell the insurance but if you fit them you should tell them, I even heard fitting a dash cam or tracker could put your insurance up ?? Talk to you insurance before you fit is the answer, a friend fitted a latter model grill to his car and promptly run up the ass of another his insurance refused to pay any of his repair bill
On the note of trackers they can be found very fast by a determined t leaf with a very cheap device, or they take your car and leave it for a few days if it has a tracker it will get found and recovered it it hasn't the t leafs go back and it's gone for good! Spares put on eBay ect

·
Registered
555 Posts
It depends on your insurer. My last insurer insisted on knowing the factory fit options on my BMW. My current insurer Wasn't interested as long as the car came out the factory with them. My advice would be not to take the chance and ask them the question. Don't give them an excuse not to pay out

·
Registered
627 Posts
Thanks. It's only the rear view cam and that will be factory fit. Be interesting to see what happens on those that added loads and leather seats etc.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Watched an interesting documentary on the thieft of cars. The presenter hired a Range Rover and a thief with his face hidden identified where both trackers were located in the Range Rover using a GPS locator within a minute.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Bhuna said:
Thanks. It's only the rear view cam and that will be factory fit. Be interesting to see what happens on those that added loads and leather seats etc.
Had an interesting conversation with my insurance company recently as my insurance is due for renewal soon and I was enquiring about a multi car policy.

As mentioned it appears some insurers are moving the goal posts imo to confuse and profit. I had noted that under the question "has your car been modified" the question asks if your car has any options that deviate from the manufacturers standard specification. As both my GTD and my wife's Tiguan are "personalised" to our specific preferences I did not consider our cars "modified" as in the sense of chipped engine, large bore exhaust, change of colour or any other option that was not factory fitted, however my insurer tried to assure me that the requirement to disclose any factory fitted options is for information purposes only and does not affect the cost of the insurance premium. I would like to believe them but it appears that this is a ploy by some insurers to justify increasing insurance premiums or decline paying out on potential claims.

Funny enough DSG is not considered a modification but every other factory option is!! I have also noticed that some insurers are refusing to insure cars with panoramic sunroofs too!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Didn't realise that re the sunroofs LOL.

As for the "does it make a difference", try getting two quotes from them - do it online too - add the modifications on, and one without them on and see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
328 Posts
GTD184 said:
Funny enough DSG is not considered a modification but every other factory option is!! I have also noticed that some insurers are refusing to insure cars with panoramic sunroofs too!
DSG variants are listed specifically in the CAP database so are officially seen as a model entity in their own right.

Somewhat confusing re. panoramic sunroof as that's standard equipment on some models,not an option. Why would an insurer refuse cover for that?

Got a quote for an SE Nav, as that's what I was going for originally. Will be interesting to see what premiums are on the SEL I wound up ordering will be. That's a job for this week. Will post back here once I've done my research.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was under the impression that some of the Car-Net features (or whatever those three buttons above on the headlining do), will help track a stolen vehicle, by assisting police in locating its whereabouts.

For that unit itself, the manual states that a connection is "established by a factory-fitted control unit", with no specification of Car-Net and the necessity of an internet connection either via. SIM or tethering. With the Car-Net subscription, those control units function for a 10-year period so I'd expect something along those lines to be included.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tricky said:
Don't think this applies any more to VW's than any other car
I agree, any car can be nicked and it is common sense stuff, but in this case I think the police are referring to organised efforts to steal specific cars to order, in this case VW's. Last year a gang of thieves visited my town and stole 21 BMW/Mercedes/Audi's over 3 nights. one of our neighbours had her patio smashed, and her BMW stolen. The other advice that we were given was to block in expensive cars, and to take the keys upstairs with you

Model Specific theft patterns are quite common. Since the Land Rover Defender has gone out of production Thefts have skyrocketted. I also remember a spate of Range Rovers a couple of years ago in London, and found this with a quick google about Brighton

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-33255228 about Brighton in 2015

it might be that the parts are easy to shift, or they can get a good price abroad. In the case of the range rovers they used a security flaw to drive away without the keys.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Oh well I'm prepared ;) ...Oh yes :twisted: first line of defence my little doggy Dog Carnivore Dog breed Companion dog Collar
:lol:
:idea: :arrow: also have my keys with me upstairs..... with my last means of defence my woodworm cricket bat Liquid Fluid Wood Gas Font

Howzat.... :lol: :lol: :lol:.....Bring it on :!: :!: :!:

Attachments

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'm the opposite. My keys are left out in the kitchen, if they break in for them I want them in and out of the house as quickly as possible with as little chance of danger to me or my wife as possible. Last thing you want is to be woken up at 3am by some head the ball with a knife at your throat demanding car keys

·
Registered
463 Posts
I dont need to worry, have a photo of the wife on the gate with "I Live Here" printed on it.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Beagler said:
I dont need to worry, have a photo of the wife on the gate with "I Live Here" printed on it.
:lol: :lol: ...Ouch :shock: :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts