Volkswagen Tiguan MK2 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 339 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, had the R-Line for approx 2 weeks now and absolutely love it...apart from one problem.

I commute through tight country lanes barly wide enough to accommodate two vehicles...but you can. On two seperate occasions the car suddenly braked for me presumably because it calculated that I was about to crash...wrong! However the car behind me nearly crashed into me.

Bloody thing nearly put me through the windscreen! So far I've figured out I can de-activate the front sensor whilst driving but every time I re-start the engine it resets!

Is anyone aware of a permanent solution to this please ?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hi just had my Tiguan for 2 weeks

It elected to emergency brake in the M6 roadworks because it thought I was undertaking a truck in the roadworks. (running with lane assist on) - at 09:00 on Monday morning with the usual 2 metre spacing I'm amazed that I did not get rear ended!!! (this looks like the lane assist software so I now don't use it)

Approaching any car turning right in front of you, if they are pulling into a central reservation, is also a bit of a lottery - you can see whats going on but the software sees a crash so "auto crash" kicks in.

Travelling up a motorway and a Muppet slices across me to get to the exit ramp "auto crash" kicks in and I nearly collect 20te of Truck, whose having a love affair with my rear bumper :).

I get the feeling that what we are looking at is, in risk assessment terms "danger introduced by excessive safety"

I'm going to drop my dealer a formal complaint and ask that it be shut down or allow me to manage it - it will result in a crash

·
Registered
94 Posts
Earl_H said:

It elected to emergency brake in the M6 roadworks because it thought I was undertaking a truck in the roadworks. (running with lane assist on) - at 09:00 on Monday morning with the usual 2 metre spacing I'm amazed that I did not get rear ended!!! (this looks like the lane assist software so I now don't use it)

Approaching any car turning right in front of you, if they are pulling into a central reservation, is also a bit of a lottery - you can see whats going on but the software sees a crash so "auto crash" kicks in.

Travelling up a motorway and a Muppet slices across me to get to the exit ramp "auto crash" kicks in and I nearly collect 20te of Truck, whose having a love affair with my rear bumper :).

I get the feeling that what we are looking at is, in risk assessment terms "danger introduced by excessive safety"

I'm going to drop my dealer a formal complaint and ask that it be shut down or allow me to manage it - it will result in a crash
I noticed there is an "emergency braking" option in the assistance systems menu. Not sure what this relates to, but perhaps worth a try, along with deselection of lane assist?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Earl_H said:

As these issues are safety related you should book your car in to be checked.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting comments.

I waited a while to reply to see if any others are suffering with this issue. I too will request the system either be turned off or that I am given responsibility to enable it when I require it!

The main issue is it resetting on ignition. I don't always remember to deactivate it and I don't think I should have to.

In theory it's a great idea, in practise it's as Earl says an accident waiting to happen!

Will feedback if and when I have a resolution.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Coming from a Mk7 Golf GTI with the same system I have to admit to it saving me than once on roundabouts and once on a section of dual carriageway.

However I can understand people not 'getting on' with it.

Just be aware that disabling it can affect your insurance (it is one of the reasons the Tiguan sits in a lower insurance group).

There was a post on one of the Golf forums (for the life of me I now cant find it) about somebody who disabled it with VCDS and then had an accident and the insurance company refused to pay out.

All insurance companies may not be the same but be aware it is a possibility

·
Registered
2 Posts
This not happened to my Tiguan R Line but it has happened twice to my wife's 12 month old Golf. I was driving it on one occasion coming down a slip road onto a motorway. There was absolutely nothing around and suddenly the brakes slammed on at 40mph. I too nearly went through the windscreen and the rear passenger was thrown into the front seat headrest bruising her face. Thank god no vehicle behind us.

It has been in to VW and had a recalibration.

My wife is very nervous driving it now.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had my R-Line for about 3 weeks and I too have had problems with "break assist"! Driving down the road doing around 30mph when a car going past in the opposite direction suddenly caused my car to slam on it's breaks!! My wife and I were quite shook up as this was not expected and completely out of the blue! Luckily there was nobody behind us as they would have gone straight up my bumper! VW have advised to manually override and deactivate break assist but like a few others on here have already mentioned, it's annoying having to do this each time you start your journey.

I have booked the car to go back to VW this week so hopefully they can rectify the fault. Not sure what they will do as I haven't read a solution to this yet but will post it on here if there is one!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Reading these posts is really concerning me for when i get the car, I know for a fact the Mrs will not be happy if it happens when she's driving it with the kids , hope it's rectified some how

·
Registered
352 Posts
All you have mentioned here is called "front assist" as "brake assist" is something else.

The Brake Assist system can help to reduce the braking distance. The Brake Assist system reinforces brake pressure when the driver depresses the brake pedal quickly in an emergency situation. As a result, full braking power is made accessible very quickly, braking power is reinforced and the braking distance reduced. This means that the anti-lock brake system is activated more quickly and more effectively.
while the system you are talking about here is "Area monitoring system (Front Assist) incl. City Emergency Brake"

Distance warning

If the system detects danger from driving too close to the vehicle in front, within the speed range of approx. 60 km/h (37 mph) up to 250 km/h (155 mph), the system warns the driver by showing a corresponding message on the instrument cluster display → Fig. 162 .
The warning time varies according to the traffic situation and the driver's response.

Advance warning

If the system detects a danger of collision with the vehicle ahead, within the speed range of approx. 30 km/h (19 mph) up to 250 km/h (155 mph), the system warns the driver by emitting a signal tone and showing a corresponding message on the instrument cluster display → Fig. 163 .
The warning time varies according to the traffic situation and the driver's response. At the same time, the system prepares the vehicle for possible emergency braking

Urgent warning

If the driver fails to respond to the advance warning, the system can initiate a quick jolt of the brake via an active braking intervention in order to draw the driver's attention to the increasing danger of a collision within a speed range of approximately. 30 km/h (19 mph) to 250 km/h (155 mph). The warning time varies according to the traffic situation and the driver's response.

Automatic braking

If the driver does not react to the acute warning, the vehicle can brake automatically using brake pressure with gradually increasing intensity within a speed range of approx. 4 km/h (2.5 mph) to 250 km/h (155 mph). By reducing the speed in the event of a possible collision the system can help to minimise the consequences of an accident.
I had two instances of a bit sudden braking therefore I lowered the sensitivity of the system (set it to "Late") and never had a unexpected braking since then. To do this press CAR, go to vehicle settings and under "driver assistance->front assist" change the following

Depending on the infotainment system installed in the vehicle, the warning time can be adjusted as follows:

Early.

Medium.

Late.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Haven't bothered to read the whole thread so it may have been suggested already... You can alter the sensitivity of the early warning system and so far, mine has only intervened twice, one occasion I thought it had been deactivated to be honest (car park testing it myself)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Out of interest, have you had a chance to read page 226 of the owners manual. It does state in there that the system may 'malfunction' in certain situations including tight bends, on coming traffic and when cars cut in front.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
ian2087 said:
Out of interest, have you had a chance to read page 226 of the owners manual. It does state in there that the system may 'malfunction' in certain situations including tight bends, on coming traffic and when cars cut in front.
Correct, in fact these are the only rare occasions when I've experienced it. ;)

Steve

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, Joined to see if anyone is having the same problem with their Tiguan as we are and clearly the answer is Yes.

Interested to know peoples position on the whole turning it off deactivating the system. Note the comments about invalidating insurance, not sure if this would affect my policy but more importantly I think there is a generic fault with the system.

We took delivery of our TIguan mid November and have now had a total of 6 activations on single carriageway twisty roads with no vehicles in front of the vehicle. On four of these occasions its my wife who has been driving, and on one of these occasions she was almost rear ended by a 7.5t truck and swerved on to the verge so he didn't hit her and ended up damaging the front bumper so we are not to pleased.

The vehicle has now been back with VW for just over a week and the dealer are doing all they can to rectify the problem at this time, including a like for like courtesy car which has just done the same tonight!!!!!!!!!

I have driven 10's of new vehicles with some variation of this system in the last year or so due to my occupation and put them through their paces, but to date I have never had one do this to me (yes on a couple of occasions I have been saved by the system in the nick of time!) but never in the circumstances I have had with the Tiguan.

I am awaiting a further update from the dealer who is currently awaiting a part from Germany to finalise the calibration of the system on my vehicle and see how it goes, but I am toying with the truly sad idea of rejecting the car as not fit for purpose and dangerous fault if it has not been rectified on its return.

Look forward to others views.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I took delivery of my brand new Tiguan on 02.03.17 and I have driven it for 2 wks out of 7. 3 breakdowns, 1st 2 with regards to the autohold not always releasing and 3rd time the brakes coming on without any warning driving at slow speeds (luckily!)....I see all the posts about the problems front assist but explain to me why this also happened in reverse!!!!!!!!!! I have rejected my car as after 4 weeks of investigations they have found no fault and deem it "safe". I am awaiting confirmation of a replacement car from the retailer I bought it from......fingers crossed!

·
Registered
953 Posts
My car went back in for this problem and they say that the inside of the VW badge was dirty, don't know how or why as the car had only done 1900 mile, but it's not happened since

·
Registered
485 Posts
SlimPollack said:
I had two instances of a bit sudden braking therefore I lowered the sensitivity of the system (set it to "Late") and never had a unexpected braking since then. To do this press CAR, go to vehicle settings and under "driver assistance->front assist" change the following

Depending on the infotainment system installed in the vehicle, the warning time can be adjusted as follows:

Early.

Medium.

Late.
Thanks for the warning. Mine now set to late. &#x1f44d-1f3fb;

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK, so since taking delivery of my Tiguan R-Line in November 2017, Front Assist has kindly activated 5 more times without any reason to! I have taken this back to the dealer twice, both times they have ran diagnostic tests and their technicians have kept it for a couple of days in the hope that the same symptoms will happen to them, but guess what - it didn't! :( Typically, they are now saying that they can't do anything for me as the diagnostics have not flagged up any faults either. I have contacted the dealership where i had purchased the vehicle and hope that they can rectify the problem as a last chance saloon or I will need to have the car replaced for another as this one is not safe to drive... I will keep you guys updated if there is a solution.

1 - 20 of 339 Posts